The Student Room Group

Aspirin

Does anyone actually remember the numbers for the aspirin question, I somehow got 27000 something mg😩 don’t know what went wrong
Original post by ovo…
Does anyone actually remember the numbers for the aspirin question, I somehow got 27000 something mg😩 don’t know what went wrong

I got like 318mg (is this in OCR A Chem?).

Method. Lemme write rq.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by ovo…

Here's my method:
Info:
Excess (concentration and volumes) of hydrochloric acid reacts with aspirin.
The resulting solution (containing the hydrochloric acid that didn't react) is diluted to 250cm^3.
25cm^3 of this solution is titrated against (concentration) of NaOH. Titre values of NaOH given.

Equation: NaOH + HCl(aq) --> NaCl + H2O

Work out titre value of NaOH (I think it was 27.35cm^3) and divide it by 1000 to get it in dm^3

Work out number of moles by multiplying the volume by the concentration.

1:1 ratio with hydrochloric acid gives you the number of moles of hydrochloric acid in 25cm^3.

Scale up to 250cm^3 by multiplying by 10 to get the actual number of moles that was excess.

You use the concentration and volume of hydrochloric given in the FIRST part of the answer to work out the number of moles of excess hydrochloric acid there was to begin with.

You then do (number of moles of hydrochloric acid at the beginning)-(number of moles that reacted with NaOH)

This gives you the number of moles that reacted with aspirin.

The question (I think) said it was a 1:1 ratio so the number of moles of hydrochloric acid was the same for aspirin.

Work out the Mr which was 180 and work out mass by multiplying moles by 180. I got 0.954g.

This is the mass in GRAMS in THREE tablets.

So you multiply by 1000 to get it in mg which is 954mg and divide it by 3 to get the mass of one tablet which I got was 318mg.

Reply 3
Original post by JA03
Here's my method:
Info:
Excess (concentration and volumes) of hydrochloric acid reacts with aspirin.
The resulting solution (containing the hydrochloric acid that didn't react) is diluted to 250cm^3.
25cm^3 of this solution is titrated against (concentration) of NaOH. Titre values of NaOH given.

Equation: NaOH + HCl(aq) --> NaCl + H2O

Work out titre value of NaOH (I think it was 27.35cm^3) and divide it by 1000 to get it in dm^3

Work out number of moles by multiplying the volume by the concentration.

1:1 ratio with hydrochloric acid gives you the number of moles of hydrochloric acid in 25cm^3.

Scale up to 250cm^3 by multiplying by 10 to get the actual number of moles that was excess.

You use the concentration and volume of hydrochloric given in the FIRST part of the answer to work out the number of moles of excess hydrochloric acid there was to begin with.

You then do (number of moles of hydrochloric acid at the beginning)-(number of moles that reacted with NaOH)

This gives you the number of moles that reacted with aspirin.

The question (I think) said it was a 1:1 ratio so the number of moles of hydrochloric acid was the same for aspirin.

Work out the Mr which was 180 and work out mass by multiplying moles by 180. I got 0.954g.

This is the mass in GRAMS in THREE tablets.

So you multiply by 1000 to get it in mg which is 954mg and divide it by 3 to get the mass of one tablet which I got was 318mg.

Yes OCR A chem! Omg thank you very much!!!! This is so detailed!!!
Original post by ovo…
Yes OCR A chem! Omg thank you very much!!!! This is so detailed!!!

No worries! I was only asking if it was OCR A because I also sat the exam today.
Reply 5
Original post by JA03
No worries! I was only asking if it was OCR A because I also sat the exam today.

Then I wish you all the best! Hope you get the grades you want!
Original post by ovo…
Then I wish you all the best! Hope you get the grades you want!

Thank you and you too! Remember that the TSR Support Team will be here for you should you need it on Results Day (which you won’t). :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by JA03
Thank you and you too! Remember that the TSR Support Team will be here for you should you need it on Results Day (which you won’t). :smile:

Thank you! :smile::smile:
Reply 8
Point 6 doesn't make sense to me, the question says that the NaOH is in excess??
Original post by fearingfh
Point 6 doesn't make sense to me, the question says that the NaOH is in excess??

Yes. In my method, I stated the number of moles of NaOH that was reacted since not all of it will react. Always be sure to do the stoichiometry to get that number. The method I did got the answer I believe was correct.
Reply 10
I really dont understand, can i prove a photo of the question and receive a step by step working out? Thanks.
Original post by fearingfh
I really dont understand, can i prove a photo of the question and receive a step by step working out? Thanks.

This question is on the 2023 OCR A Chemistry Paper (not sure which one). If you can send me the question, I can show you all the working out step by step if that helps your understanding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending