The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A F324 Rings, Polymers and Analysis Tue 19 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ankd3
describe the bonding on benzene?

do you talk about delocolised , p oribatals overlap (doing drawing) , trigonal planar 120 , planar molecule ?
Reply 1181
Original post by otrivine
how do we represent secondaty amine?

In a formula? NH('first chain')('second chain') is probs easiest.
Original post by Cath-ay
In a formula? NH('first chain')('second chain') is probs easiest.

but i dont get why they put like N,N e.t.c ?
Original post by seamen
OK worked it out to be methanol but I did a lot of Maths stuff so unlikely this will be an exam question, here is my working.

55.22=(59+(A-17))/(102+A) x100

0.5522(102+A)=59-17+A

56.3244+0.5522A=42+A

56.3244-42=0.4478A
A=31.98838767 roughly 32 RFM

which is methanol only one that fits.

Hey, just wondering but can you talk through how you did this please? Sorry if you can't, but I'm trying to understand it :P I'm thinking a calculation is going to come up, either percentage yield or atom economy, to be incredibly synoptic :P xD Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 1184
but i dont get why they put like N,N e.t.c ?

Are you talking about an azo group? :/
Original post by Cath-ay
Are you talking about an azo group? :/

No literally write lets say for example this
CH3CH2CH2NH2CH2CH3

how would u name this ?
Reply 1186
CH3CH2CH2NH2CH2CH3

how would u name this ?

That's a secondary amine you need to remove a h off N :smile: then it'd be called N-ethyl propyl amine

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1187
do you talk about delocolised , p oribatals overlap (doing drawing) , trigonal planar 120 , planar molecule ?

Yes, I think we might will have a 5 marker for this
draw a labelled diagram with explanation
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by atman7
That's a secondary amine you need to remove a h off N :smile: then it'd be called N-ethyl propyl amine

thanks :wink: but there are 5 carbons though?and where is the ethyl from
Original post by Bright
Yes, I think we might will have a 5 marker for this

i hope so those will be nice marks to get :smile: any others will there be carbon or NMR u think or both and will they be hard or easy ?
Reply 1190
thanks :wink: but there are 5 carbons though?and where is the ethyl from

You've got two separate alkyl chains. If you wanted all five then you'd put the molecule as ch3ch2ch2ch2ch2NH2 that's how it'd be pentylamine then it'd be primary

You put ch3ch2ch2 NH ch3ch2

The chains are separate so when naming you do it alphabetically N-ethyl propylamine :smile: understand?

Reply 1191
CH3CH2CH2NH2CH2CH3

how would u name this ?

Do you mean CH3CH2CH2NHCH2CH3 (only one H can be on N if it's a non charged compound)?

You'd take a look at both of the chains attached to the N. One has 3 carbons the other has 2. You should know that a hydrocarbon missing one hydrogen forms an alkyl. So first chain is propyl and second is ethyl bonded to an amine, put that all together, you'd get ethylpropylamine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1192
how do we represent secondaty amine?

ammonia with 2 H atoms replaced by a hydrocarbon chain (so only shows 1 C).
Original post by atman7
You've got two separate alkyl chains. If you wanted all five then you'd put the molecule as ch3ch2ch2ch2ch2NH2 that's how it'd be pentylamine then it'd be primary

You put ch3ch2ch2 NH ch3ch2

The chains are separate so when naming you do it alphabetically N-ethyl propylamine :smile: understand?

oh right so if it was secondary would we put N,N ? and separate them and remove a hydrogen?
Original post by Bright
ammonia with 2 H atoms replaced by a hydrocarbon chain (so only shows 1 C).

yep and do we put N,N so we remove two hydrogens
Original post by Cath-ay
Do you mean CH3CH2CH2NHCH2CH3 (only one H can be on N if it's a non charged compound)?

You'd take a look at both of the chains attached to the N. One has 3 carbons the other has 2. You should know that a hydrocarbon missing one hydrogen forms an alkyl. So first chain is propyl and second is ethyl bonded to an amine, put that all together, you'd get ethylpropylamine.

Thank you
Reply 1196
yep and do we put N,N so we remove two hydrogens

No in the book they do that cause it's a tertiary amine. You don't need to put N,N you can just put N-ethyl propylamine

Original post by atman7
No in the book they do that cause it's a tertiary amine. You don't need to put N,N you can just put N-ethyl propylamine

oh right so we can put N for both primary and secondary right?
Reply 1198
i hope so those will be nice marks to get :smile: any others will there be carbon or NMR u think or both and will they be hard or easy ?

I think we might get an NMR but not a graphical one, instead a structure.. not certain (obv)
Original post by Bright
I think we might get an NMR but not a graphical one, instead a structure.. not certain (obv)

and like we need to draw it or to identify which structure?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending