The Student Room Group

IGCSE CHEMISTRY 2013 (May 20th & June 10th)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by daisyxxx
I actually found that chemistry exam quite challenging!

Me too! There were quite a few questions that stumped me as opposed to paper 1 which I would rate 10. But for paper 2 I would rate a 6.
Reply 581
Original post by alexgr97
I disagree. My notes for the electrolysis of water say in big capital letters "GRAPHITE ELECTRODES ARE NEVER USED - PLATINUM IS USED INSTEAD". But it depends what they accept. I put for the oxygen question that it is slightly soluble so dissolves in water.

It's says in the student book that 'carbon is frequently used for electrodes because it is chemically inert'.

I wrote that oxygen was soluble in water too, so that's a relief. Thanks.
I said about the greenhouse gases released but also the fact that no buildings will have to be built in order to burn the bags so there would be no trees or habitats destroyed

My second reason was that landfill sites can be used for construction purposes, so soil erosion in other areas would be reduced. I couldn't think of anything else.
Original post by novusluna
It's says in the student book that 'carbon is frequently used for electrodes because it is chemically inert'.

I wrote that oxygen was soluble in water too, so that's a relief. Thanks.

I wrote carbon should be used as the electrodes. So is it correct?
Reply 584
The only thing that really annoyed me about that paper, is that no triple topics came up?! All the revision I have done since the last paper seems to have been for nothing...

Also, how do you remove red dye from rose petals?
Reply 585
Original post by kamich
The only thing that really annoyed me about that paper, is that no triple topics came up?! All the revision I have done since the last paper seems to have been for nothing...

Also, how do you remove red dye from rose petals?

I know, there was nothing on the processes/alcohols/any conditions etc. I think it's dissolving.
Original post by Jedi Knightess
I wrote carbon should be used as the electrodes. So is it correct?

Yea it is correct and about why there is less oxygen collected there are two possible answers:
. Oxygen reacts with the electrodes to form carbon dioxide
. Oxygen is soluble in water.
i wrote the latter.
Reply 587
Original post by Hoshil
Yea it is correct and about why there is less oxygen collected there are two possible answers:
i wrote the latter.

Oh so is it possible to say that it reacts with the electrode?
Original post by alexgr97
I know, there was nothing on the processes/alcohols/any conditions etc. I think it's dissolving.

Even I wrote that. Can u confirm the answer for ?1 :
. Filtration
. Simple distillation
. Dissolving
. Paper...
. Fractional distillation
Oh so is it possible to say that it reacts with the electrode?

Yeah
Reply 590
Original post by Hoshil
. Filtration
. Simple distillation
. Dissolving
. Paper...

They're the answers I got
Original post by Hoshil
i wrote the latter.

I too wrote that oxygen is soluble in water so some of it dissolves into the water.
But whats confusing me is that if oxygen reacts with the electrodes to form CO2, then that means that carbon cannot be used as the electrodes right?
So can carbon still be used? Would I lose the mark?
Reply 592
Original post by Hoshil
. Filtration
. Simple distillation
. Dissolving
. Paper...

Can't you also use simple distillation for separating ethanol and water?
For the plastic bag question I chose A because:
. Burning the bags releases greenhouse gases which is increases the rate of global warming.
. Also the plastic bags can be recycled as companies take spare bags from landfills thus it doesn't harm the environment.
Although I am not sure of my 2nd point.
Can't you also use simple distillation for separating ethanol and water
No you have to use fractional distillation as water and ethanol are miscible and they can only be separated using their boiling points thus the answer is fractional distillation.
(edited 10 years ago)
They're the answers I got

Cheers!
Original post by Hoshil
. Burning the bags releases greenhouse gases which is increases the rate of global warming.
. Also the plastic bags can be recycled as companies take spare bags from landfills thus it doesn't harm the environment.

You would probably get the second point correct too :smile:
Reply 597
What was the answer for 'why couldn't sodium hydroxide be used'? I wrote because then it would be a neutralisation reaction, is that right even though I didn't talk about the fizzing
Reply 598
Original post by Hoshil

I wrote the same thing
Reply 599
Original post by dstunr
What was the answer for 'why couldn't sodium hydroxide be used'? I wrote because then it would be a neutralisation reaction, is that right even though I didn't talk about the fizzing

well u might get it although I mentioned the fizzing which releases a gas. Which was the real main point of that question to see how observative u were on the reaction, they may consider ur answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending