The Student Room Group

IGCSE CHEMISTRY 2013 (May 20th & June 10th)

Scroll to see replies

wat other questions were there?? 1st page was gap fill the next page was the ph question the next was a temperature table and you had to fill in gaps. the next page was a graph. the next page was zinc and mg question. last page was electrolysis. there was a landfill question and volume calc question which was 72. there was a page on Nacl and Na and a page on NaOH and how to test for chloride ions. there was a page on chromotography. were there anymore????? if any1 remembers please tell. i need to know where i lost my marks.

Original post by Kunjamani
wat other questions were there?? 1st page was gap fill the next page was the ph question the next was a temperature table and you had to fill in gaps. the next page was a graph. the next page was zinc and mg question. last page was electrolysis. there was a landfill question and volume calc question which was 72. there was a page on Nacl and Na and a page on NaOH and how to test for chloride ions. there was a page on chromotography. were there anymore????? if any1 remembers please tell. i need to know where i lost my marks.

there was a calc at the end which was 2.5, a few graphs (a bar graph and a line graph) there was also the test for alkenes and addition reactions of bromine, a question to say why it was difficult to compare the reactivity of two compounds (cannot remember which ones) and a solubility and salt making question
Original post by Polydeuces
there was a calc at the end which was 2.5, a few graphs (a bar graph and a line graph) there was also the test for alkenes and addition reactions of bromine, a question to say why it was difficult to compare the reactivity of two compounds (cannot remember which ones) and a solubility and salt making question

what was the salt making question
Original post by Kunjamani
what was the salt making question

never mind you said it in your comment already. NaOH
does any1 know anymore questions or is that it?? i reckon i got around 50ish but i need to know where i lost my marks but cant remember all the questions
Reply 785
For the 5 marker, was I wrong to talk about how sodium is in group 1 so because the electron is far away from the nucleus very little energy is needed to break the attraction between the electron and the protons in the nucleus so that's why it has a low boiling point
Reply 786
Original post by dstunr
For the 5 marker, was I wrong to talk about how sodium is in group 1 so because the electron is far away from the nucleus very little energy is needed to break the attraction between the electron and the protons in the nucleus so that's why it has a low boiling point
I talked bout that saying it is lower than typical metals but mainly said sodium and chloride ion had stronger bond than sodium ion and electron
Reply 787
for the q that said why are they not sure which reaction is more vigorous i said that they the metals were both in group one and the others were both in group 7 so they both have the same amount of elecotorns in their respective outer shells
Original post by ADGMFC
which was 50g and which was 56g, unsaturated or saturated?

I can't remember, that wasn't part of the question though
Reply 789
Original post by Hoshil
Even I wrote that. Can u confirm the answer for ?1 :
. Filtration
. Simple distillation
. Dissolving
. Paper...
. Fractional distillation

For the rose petal question, can u say filtration, instead of dissolving?
Original post by apselv

no
would i still get a mark if i said graphite can be used for the electrodes :frown: i put carbon and crossed it out aah
Original post by dstunr

I talked about the strong electrostatic attraction between ions of sodium chloride, that it has a 3D lattice with many repeating units.
And with sodium I talked about the actual structure of the giant metallic structure. Where Sodium has weaker forces between the array of positive ions, and the delocalised electrons make it easier for electrons to transfer heat throughout the metal.
Original post by lustandturqoise
would i still get a mark if i said graphite can be used for the electrodes :frown: i put carbon and crossed it out aah

yeah they mean the same thing in essence. Graphite is an allotrope of carbon anyways
Original post by apselv

Idk but it doesn't seem ryt as filtration is removing a solid from a liquid but here there is no liquid.
Original post by lustandturqoise

The electrodes have to be made from platinum for that particular electrolysis... if they were carbon, they would react with the oxygen forming at the anode
Original post by Yazzah
Let's stop stressing and focus on the bio paper now, from the chem and physics papers I'm contemplating not even revising the bold stuff

what if biology is all on the bold stuff haha anyway biology is difficult itself :/ they didn't even ask about any structure of diagram in P1?
for the test of chloride ions, is it alright if i put add some silver nitrate sol'n and nitric acid. do they have a particular order of which one to be added first? :/:/
Reply 798
Original post by jongahead
i put naoh wasn't right cos it said X was a solid, but sodium hydroxide is a liquid/aqueous at rtp...
is that right???

and also is carbon for the electrode right? cos then for another question when it asked why less oxygen was produced i said some may react with the electrode...

yea, i wrote the same thing, even i said NaOH was a liquid not a solid. (great brains think alike.) :P

yep, carbon.
The one about sodium and potassium reacting vigorously was about them being so close to each other in the reactivity series right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending