The Student Room Group

IGCSE CHEMISTRY 2013 (May 20th & June 10th)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by expatkid
I think it was magnesium and I can't remember the other one (but it was more reactive than hydrogen in the reactivity series)

Yeah Magnesium and Iron. That's what I put but some said it was Copper since Magnesium has a rapid reaction with the acid so it is not a safe reaction. :/
Reply 161
Original post by Vorte
What did you guys put for that question where they ask to choose two metals that can be used for a safe reaction?

I put Magnesium and Iron.

It said to react safely, which means it can't be Potassium. Copper doesn't react either. So it's definitely two out of Magnesium, Iron and Silver.
Reply 162
Original post by expatkid
Thanks :smile: I put negative too but I was a but confused about the question hahah

And also, sometime said they think the A* boundary would be 160, but I doubt it will be that high. Remember there are thousands of other people around the world taking the test and for what some people find easier than the other paper, some may find it hard. I think it will still be around 75-78% as grade boundaries don't change that much year to year. :smile:

Yeah I Just said there are chances of it being really high. I just hope it stays in the normal range.
Wasn't the energy question just 2310J???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 164
Original post by ooftar
Wasn't the energy question just 2310J???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah something like that.
Original post by Vorte
Yeah Magnesium and Iron. That's what I put but some said it was Copper since Magnesium has a rapid reaction with the acid so it is not a safe reaction. :/

no, for preparation of soluble salts they use MAZIT metals ie magnesium aluminium zinc iron tin, so you're right :smile:
Reply 166
Original post by LookIts_Liam
no, for preparation of soluble salts they use MAZIT metals ie magnesium aluminium zinc iron tin, so you're right :smile:

Oh, poop.
what did people write for the names of the two apparatus (in the titration)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm pretty sure it's copper and iron. I believe Mg reacts too violently.

Original post by joey12340
what did people write for the names of the two apparatus (in the titration)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Beaker and pipette
Reply 169
Why was the experiment not complete in the graph question and what do you think we had to say for five marks for the nitrogen and silicon question?
Original post by mm97123
Why was the experiment not complete in the graph question and what do you think we had to say for five marks for the nitrogen and silicon question?

The line is not straight at any point.

For the 5 marker:

Nitrogen is a simple molecular structure, with weak intermolecular forces between them. Nitrogen's melting and boiling points are low because of this.

Silicon is a giant covalent structure. It has lots of strong covalent bonds and so a lot of energy is required to break these bonds apart, meaning it has a high melting and boiling point. This means it is a solid at room temperature.
also for the graph people, what did others get for the anmoloy? i thpught it was the firsy point as if the fordt point was included the straoght line would bot go through the origin

Posted from TSR Mobile
*first
*straight
*not

sorry for the bad spelling

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joey12340
also for the graph people, what did others get for the anmoloy? i thpught it was the firsy point as if the fordt point was included the straoght line would bot go through the origin

Posted from TSR Mobile

When they ask you to draw a line of best fit, it doesn't necessarily have to go through the origin. It was the first point.
Reply 174
Guys, you know when they asked for the common name of one of the compounds, what did you get?
yes i know, for me it wad just a good way to ensure it was the first point as at 0% hydrochloric acid the rate of reaction would be 0, so the line would go through the origin

Posted from TSR Mobile
Was it bromine displaces iodide
Also it was endothermic and neutralisation so graph went up
Reply 178
Original post by king cobra
Was it bromine displaces iodide

That question was really confusing for me hahah :smile: I think I ended up putting that in the end too, however it was more of a guess.
in response to 'Fatima-A', i put slag down as my answer (to the common name of calcium silicate)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending