The Student Room Group

Sodium Halides with Sulphuric Acid

I was wondering if someone could clarify the reactions for Sodium Halides with Sulfuric acid. As it's in the Chem2 spec and I cant wrap my head round it.

So I get that Fluorine and Chlorine have pretty much the same reaction.

NaCl + H2SO4 ------> HCl + NaHSO4
NaF + H2SO4 ------> HF + NaHSO4

(observation would be steamy fumes, while it's being formed)

What I'm getting confused about is the reaction with NaBr and NaI

Sometimes the product is SO2, some times it's H2S (some times it's solid Sulfur..but i've never seen the equation) ... how am I supposed to know which oxide state the Sulfur is reduced to? It seems that's a mixture of both?

...basically I'm confused.

Are there any rules for what happens when

NaF
NaCl
NaBr
NaI

all meet H2SO4?
Reply 1
Original post by Kemics
I was wondering if someone could clarify the reactions for Sodium Halides with Sulfuric acid. As it's in the Chem2 spec and I cant wrap my head round it.

So I get that Fluorine and Chlorine have pretty much the same reaction.

NaCl + H2SO4 ------> HCl + NaHSO4
NaF + H2SO4 ------> HF + NaHSO4

(observation would be steamy fumes, while it's being formed)

What I'm getting confused about is the reaction with NaBr and NaI

Sometimes the product is SO2, some times it's H2S (some times it's solid Sulfur..but i've never seen the equation) ... how am I supposed to know which oxide state the Sulfur is reduced to? It seems that's a mixture of both?

...basically I'm confused.

Are there any rules for what happens when

NaF
NaCl
NaBr
NaI

all meet H2SO4?

sulfur has quite many oxidation states and its redox activity dictating the final sulfur product depends also on the redox properties of the halides involved.

i.e. F- , Cl-, Br-, I-,

in ascending order, the halide loses electrons more readily, i.e. they get oxidised more easily, hence they can reduce sulfur to lower oxidation state.

see the sulfur products formed with sodium halides where the halides are early halides
NaHSO4 here S is S(+6)

SO2 here S is S(+4)

H2S here S is (-2)

so the trends work but sometimes you should be able to relate redox and periodicity with these observations
Reply 2
reducing equation elecrtode potentials of halides most positive at top of group and decrease down the group. This means the reducing power of the halide ions increases down the group and therefore their ability to reduce sulphur. If you want the equations for these reactions check out wjec ch5 revision notes on their website p34ish

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest