The Student Room Group

Iron oxalate titration equation

Hey everyone, I have a prac sheet and need some help combining three half equations to get a 6:5 ratio.
MnO4- (aq) + 8H+(aq) + 5e- ------> Mn​2+(aq) + 4H2O(l)
C2O42-(aq)------> 2CO2(g) +e-
Fe2+(aq)-------> Fe3+(aq) + e-

"when these half equations are combined to give an overall equation for the reaction of MnO4-ions with Fe(C2O4)2, it can be shown that 6 moles of MnO4-react with 5 moles of Fe2(C2O4)2 ."
I'm really stuck with this. Can someone please help?
Original post by MissDW
Hey everyone, I have a prac sheet and need some help combining three half equations to get a 6:5 ratio.

"when these half equations are combined to give an overall equation for the reaction of MnO4-ions with Fe(C2O4)2, it can be shown that 6 moles of MnO4-react with 5 moles of Fe2(C2O4)2 ."

You know that the iron and the oxalate ions are in a fixed ratio given by the formula of iron oxalate (1:1).

Hence the iron (changing from 2+ to 3+) and the oxalate ions (losing two electrons) overall lose 3 electrons per empirical formula unit, or 6 electrons per formula unit.

Then perform the usual redox combination with the permanganate.
Original post by MissDW

Use beckett and stenlake book to solve it. It is a mg salt titration.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thank you everyone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest