The Student Room Group

A-Level chemistry question

A student finds an old bottle of vanadium chloride which has lost part of its label and the student is unsure of the oxidation state and hence the formula of the substance.The label states that the concentration of the solution is 0.0764 moldm-3.A student wants to establish the charge of the vanadium ions (V* ) so they can deduce the vanadium chlorides formula.They know that the solution can be titrated with MnOr, in the presence of Ht to form vanadate (V) ions, VOs, in a redox titration as the solutions colour changes on addition of Mn04. The manganate (VII) ions (MnO4) convert into manganese (1) ions in the process.The student titrates 25cm3 of the 0.0764 moldm 3 Vanadium solution with 38.10cms of 0.0200moldm-3 KMn04.a) Write out the half equation for the reduction of MnO,.b) Calculate the moles of electrons gained by manganese during the titration.c) From part b) and the moles of Vx , deduce the value for X and the formula of the vanadium chloride.d) Write the half equation for the reaction of VX to VOs.e) Using your answers to part (a) and (d) construct the overall equation for the reaction.If you have not been able to correctly work out the value of x create an overall equation using the half equation below. This is not the correct answer to part (d)V2 3H20 VO3^ 6H 3е-Please help me. I am stuck on what to do

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MichaelLewis1
A student finds an old bottle of vanadium chloride which has lost part of its label and the student is unsure of the oxidation state and hence the formula of the substance.The label states that the concentration of the solution is 0.0764 moldm-3.A student wants to establish the charge of the vanadium ions (V* ) so they can deduce the vanadium chlorides formula.They know that the solution can be titrated with MnOr, in the presence of Ht to form vanadate (V) ions, VOs, in a redox titration as the solutions colour changes on addition of Mn04. The manganate (VII) ions (MnO4) convert into manganese (1) ions in the process.The student titrates 25cm3 of the 0.0764 moldm 3 Vanadium solution with 38.10cms of 0.0200moldm-3 KMn04.a) Write out the half equation for the reduction of MnO,.b) Calculate the moles of electrons gained by manganese during the titration.c) From part b) and the moles of Vx , deduce the value for X and the formula of the vanadium chloride.d) Write the half equation for the reaction of VX to VOs.e) Using your answers to part (a) and (d) construct the overall equation for the reaction.If you have not been able to correctly work out the value of x create an overall equation using the half equation below. This is not the correct answer to part (d)V2 3H20 VO3^ 6H 3е-Please help me. I am stuck on what to do

Ok. Let’s start with part (a).

MnO4^- ions are reduced to Mn^2+ (I am assuming there are typos in the question). When a species with extra oxygens is being reduced, you (usually) need to include H^+ ions and H2O molecules in your equation to balance it.

Given that the MnO4^- is being reduced, what side of the equation should the electrons be on? And how might all the information I’ve given you help you to set up an ionic equation?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2

Thanks for the help. Based on what you said, I think the equation for reduction of MnO4- is MNO4- + 5e- + 8H+ —-> Mn2+ + 4H2O
Thanks for the help. Based on what you said, I think the equation for reduction of MnO4- is MNO4- + 5e- + 8H+ —-> Mn2+ + 4H2O

That is correct.
How are you finding the rest of the question?
Reply 4
Original post by TypicalNerd
That is correct.
How are you finding the rest of the question?

For part b) my answer for the moles of electrons gained was 0.00381 moles. Part c) onwards is where I’m a bit stuck
For part b) my answer for the moles of electrons gained was 0.00381 moles. Part c) onwards is where I’m a bit stuck

I agree with your part (b).

Next, it’s worth calculating how many moles of V^x+ there are, since 25 cm^3 of a 0.0764 mol dm^-3 solution was used.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 6
Alright. My answer for that was 0.00191 moles
Alright. My answer for that was 0.00191 moles

So using the number of moles of electrons transferred to the MnO4^- and the moles of V^x+ ions, can you work out how many electrons each V^x+ ion gives up?
Reply 8
Okay, so for that I divided the moles of electrons transferred by the moles of V^+ ions and got 1.99, which I rounded to 2.
Okay, so for that I divided the moles of electrons transferred by the moles of V^+ ions and got 1.99, which I rounded to 2.

Perfect.

The question tells you the vanadium is oxidised to VO3^- ions.

So what is the oxidation state of vanadium in VO3^- and if the V^x+ ions had to lose two electrons to reach that oxidation state, what was the oxidation state to begin with?
(edited 6 months ago)
Oxidation state of V in VO3^- is +5. So oxidation state must have been +3 if it had to lose two electrons. So does that mean X is 3?
(edited 6 months ago)
Oxidation state of V in VO3^- is +5. So oxidation state must have been +3 if it had to lose two electrons. So does that mean X is 3?

I agree with your answer.

So can you now write an ionic equation (again, using H2O and H^+ to balance it) for the oxidation of V^3+ to VO3^-?
(edited 6 months ago)
I agree with your answer.

So can you now write an ionic equation (again, using H2O and H^+ to balance it) for the oxidation of V^3+ to VO3^-?

Okay so for this I got 5V^3+ + 2MnO4- + 16H+ ——-> 5VO3^- + 2Mn^2+ + 8H2O
Okay so for this I got 5V^3+ + 2MnO4- + 16H+ ——-> 5VO3^- + 2Mn^2+ + 8H2O

Not sure I quite agree. Try counting how many atoms of each element you have on each side of the equation.

It might help to first derive an ionic half-equation showing just the oxidation of V^3+ to VO3^- and then try combining half-equations afterwards.

It might help to first derive an ionic half-equation showing just the oxidation of V^3+ to VO3^- and then try combining half-equations afterwards.

My ionic equation for V^3+ was: V^3+ ——> VO3^- + 2e- Maybe this was the equation I got incorrect? I understand the reduction ionic equation for MnO4^-. But I think the V^3+ oxidation ionic equation was the one that messed up my combined overall redox equation
My ionic equation for V^3+ was: V^3+ ——> VO3^- + 2e- Maybe this was the equation I got incorrect? I understand the reduction ionic equation for MnO4^-. But I think the V^3+ oxidation ionic equation was the one that messed up my combined overall redox equation

Have you tried balancing that half-equation by putting water on the left hand side and H^+ on the right hand side?
Have you tried balancing that half-equation by putting water on the left hand side and H^+ on the right hand side?

I think it is V^3+ + 3H2O ——> VO3^- + 2e- + 6H+
I think it is V^3+ + 3H2O ——> VO3^- + 2e- + 6H+

I agree. How might you use that and MnO4^- + 8H^+ + 5e^- —> Mn^2+ + 4H2O to write an overall equation with no electrons on either side?
I agree. How might you use that and MnO4^- + 8H^+ + 5e^- —> Mn^2+ + 4H2O to write an overall equation with no electrons on either side?

The overall equation I got was 5V^3+ + 15H2O. + 2MnO4^- + 16H+ ——-> 5VO3^- + 3OH^+ + 2Mn^2+ + 8H2O
The overall equation I got was 5V^3+ + 15H2O. + 2MnO4^- + 16H+ ——-> 5VO3^- + 3OH^+ + 2Mn^2+ + 8H2O

Ok. Can you try cancelling down anything that appears on both sides?

Quick Reply

Latest