The Student Room Group

The Somali Society Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by justmyself
I understand which is why I am wondering why Universities are so keen on it when necessarily, most people won't take you on for those exact reason.

I don't think they are really keen on it (maybe they are for some subjects), but if you managed to get one it would certainly make you stand out. Which is important if you hope to get a place ahead of the 5-10 people applying for the same one.

I think some universities care more about your extra-curricular activities, hobbies and of course your academic achievements. Though the more you can differentiate yourself from the competition the better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Umar1
I don't think they are really keen on it (maybe they are for some subjects), but if you managed to get one it would certainly make you stand out. Which is important if you hope to get a place ahead of the 5-10 people applying for the same one.

I think some universities care more about your extra-curricular activities, hobbies and of course your academic achievements. Though the more you can differentiate yourself from the competition the better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got offers with no relevent work experience. My PS statement hardly made references to anything I've done in the financial sector. I think the grades kinda spoke for themselves. As long as you can gain/get predicted consistent A/A* grades you should be fine. Work experience isn't that much of a necessity apart from courses such as Medicine. You have to show clear interest in the field you're intending to study.
What's your guys opinions on the justification behind Lee Rigby's murder?

In today's Khutbah the Imaam said that it's not in the teachings of the Qur'an. To my understanding that Soldier was a machine gunner in Iraq and has potentially taken the lives of innocent. The justification here is "an eye for an eye". Discuss, I think I may have radical extremist views. It angers me that UK/US forces with their foreign policy are allowed to bomb innocent civilians where the death tolls are in the 100,000s and a reluctant to face the consequences. Our brothers/sisters are dying on a daily basis.. We are in fact at war and it's sad that Muslims are afraid to stand up and talk. We act as if the soldiers are innocent and doing their duty to the nation. They are bringing injustice on our people and we sit in silence. There's my little rant . Discuss the original questions please.

I want to hear Secretnerd, Umar, Ishaaq, Al-farhan response if possible. Jzk

Original post by Secretnerd123
x

Original post by Ishaaq Mohamed
x

Original post by Al-farhan
x

Original post by Umar1
x
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 183
Original post by Abdul-Karim

Those two gang members brainwashed into killing a soldier?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Umar1
Those two gang members brainwashed into killing a soldier?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read the above post again please. Answer in accordance to that. Jzk
It's all about connections these days, seriously.
I went around to at least 15 Pharmacies for work experience and got nothing, my mum with one phone call to one of her friends, she got a placement.

Guys, what was your work experience like?

I don't get how Universities want so much work experience for some courses but there's not even that many places to do it.

Sis do you want to study pharmacy?
Reply 186
Read the above post again please. Answer in accordance to that. Jzk

They are murderers guilty under the law of this country and will be sentenced accordingly. Nothing more to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Umar1
They are murderers guilty under the law of this country and will be sentenced accordingly. Nothing more to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's your overall judgements for their actions. In your opinion, is it justified under the Shariah?
Reply 188

In today's Khutbah the Imaam said that it's not in the teachings of the Qur'an. To my understanding that Soldier was a machine gunner in Iraq and has potentially taken the lives of innocent.

The guy served in Afghanistan, not Iraq and these two gang members were looking to murder the first soldiers that would come out of the barracks, whether they ever left britain or not.

I do not support either the taliban or British troops in Afghanistan. They are both part of the problem.

justification here is "an eye for an eye".

Did he kill a civilian?

If he did he would have been in court by now, when the taliban kill civilians what happens?

Discuss, I think I may have radical extremist views. It angers me that UK/US forces with their foreign policy are allowed to bomb innocent civilians where the death tolls are in the 100,000s and a reluctant to face the consequences.

They don't exactly bomb innocent civilians akhi. It's called collateral damage.

If you think Afghanistan and Iraq are anything you need to look up the history of US strategies in war. Strategic bombing in world war 2 should be enough.

The reason why Iraq ****ed up was that the Americans made some huge mistakes when they were occupying it, not by killing anyone but by the way it governed. Sacking 300,000 of Saddams soldiers and not paying them. These were people who had not received their salary for months, knew how to use weapons and more importantly where those weapons were.

Our brothers/sisters are dying on a daily basis..

Not exactly akhi. As I said collateral damage.

We are in fact at war and it's sad that Muslims are afraid to stand up and talk.

What war? The only war muslims have and should have is with illiteracy, poverty, corruption, terrorism, unemployment, treatment of women, economic stagnation.

Not a country thousands of miles away, with double more than double the GDP of the whole islamic world with barely a fifth of the population and which accounts 40% of the world's military expenditure.

Anyway, all US and UK troops are out of Iraq and they're slowly leaving Afghanistan in the next months. I wonder who were going to blame for all our problems after that?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 189
What's your overall judgements for their actions. In your opinion, is it justified under the Shariah?

You would need a scholar to answer this question akhi, not me.

I could provide paragraphs of reasons why it is in accordance and why it isn't. One has to look at the situation in Afghanistan, reasons for this soldier going to Afghanistan . The Afghan government and so on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chukkeigh
Sis do you want to study pharmacy?

Yes, insh'Allah. Do you have something in mind for uni you want to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In today's Khutbah the Imaam said that it's not in the teachings of the Qur'an. To my understanding that Soldier was a machine gunner in Iraq and has potentially taken the lives of innocent. The justification here is "an eye for an eye". Discuss, I think I may have radical extremist views. It angers me that UK/US forces with their foreign policy are allowed to bomb innocent civilians where the death tolls are in the 100,000s and a reluctant to face the consequences. Our brothers/sisters are dying on a daily basis.. We are in fact at war and it's sad that Muslims are afraid to stand up and talk. We act as if the soldiers are innocent and doing their duty to the nation. They are bringing injustice on our people and we sit in silence. There's my little rant . Discuss the original questions please.

I personally think that is a very poor justification. Islam doesn't teach an eye for eye because if it did, muslims wouldn't be allowed to live in this country. We must show mercy to everyone despite their religion or ethnicity just as the Prophet saw did. I found it hypocritical how the guy killed 'for the sake of Allah' and after a few days it was revealed that they both live with their girlfriends :colonhash:

The poor guy wasn't even a machine gunner, he was a drummer for goodness sake. Even if he was, it sickens me how killing him can ever be justified. He was a father, husband, son and brother. Imagine what his kid's life will be like. He will more than likely grow up hating Islam and who knows, he could end up doing the same thing to a muslim. Yes, our brothers and sisters are dying on a daily basis but if we go around killing soldiers, does it make us any different to them? It is people like the Woolwich killers that give islam a very bad name and i think what they did was very callous and cowardly and they deserve to rot in prison. Anyone who agrees with what they did is just as bad as them and although you may think you're helping the ummah, particularly those in warzone countries, it is quite the opposite.

Thats what i have to say on the matter.
Yes, insh'Allah. Do you have something in mind for uni you want to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Masa Allah!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Umar1
The guy served in Afghanistan, not Iraq and these two gang members were looking to murder the first soldiers that would come out of the barracks, whether they ever left britain or not.

Same thing, different day.

Original post by Umar1
I do not support either the taliban or British troops in Afghanistan. They are both part of the problem.

So you would just let the british storm all over Islamic territory and be okay with that? Of course the Taliban are the only one's who are fighting back. Maybe their tactics are a little of the extremist side but at least they're standing up for themselves.

Original post by Umar1
Did he kill a civilian?

If he did he would have been in court by now, when the taliban kill civilians what happens?

Regardless, they are invading Muslim lands. They have weapons and are a threat to the people. They wanted to be a part of the fight, he should've known the consequences.

Original post by Umar1
They don't exactly bomb innocent civilians akhi. It's called collateral damage.

If you think Afghanistan and Iraq are anything you need to look up the history of US strategies in war. Strategic bombing in world war 2 should be enough.

"Let's collate 100,000s of innocents". They still have to pay one way or another for their actions. Very weak justification on their behalf.

Original post by Umar1
The reason why Iraq ****ed up was that the Americans made some huge mistakes when they were occupying it, not by killing anyone but by the way it governed. Sacked 300,000 of Saddams and did not pay them, people who had not relieved salary for months, knew how to use weapons and more importantly where weapons were.

They started a war with Islam as soon as the American military et foot in Afghanistan. A war is exactly how it will end. It seems as though Muslims are siding with the west instead of Justice.

Original post by Umar1
Not exactly akhi. As I said collateral damage.

Again, weak justification.

Original post by Umar1
What war? The only war muslims have and should have is with illiteracy, poverty, corruption, terrorism, unemployment, treatment of women, economic stagnation.

The war is terrorism. The UK/US are terrorizing Muslims in the middle-east. Instead of eating this media propagandist you have to realise the reality.

Original post by Umar1
Not a country thousands of miles away, with double more than double the GDP of the whole islamic world with barely a fifth of the population and which accounts 40% of the world's military expenditure.

So we have to sit in silence and let the situation flourish. Let the khuffar win.. Okay. What kind of Islamic mindset is that?

Original post by Umar1
Anyway, all US and UK troops are out of Iraq and they're slowly leaving Afghanistan in the next months. I wonder who were going to blame for all our problems after that?

Rightly so, Troops should retreat because Muslims sure ain't going to give up but the question was "what do you think about the justification of Lee Rigby's murder."
I personally think that is a very poor justification. Islam doesn't teach an eye for eye because if it did, muslims wouldn't be allowed to live in this country. We must show mercy to everyone despite their religion or ethnicity just as the Prophet saw did. I found it hypocritical how the guy killed 'for the sake of Allah' and after a few days it was revealed that they both live with their girlfriends :colonhash:

Al-Shura Chapter 42 : Verse 40 "And the recompense of an injury is an injury the like thereof; but whoso forgives and his act brings about reformation, his reward is with Allah. Surely, He loves not the wrongdoers."

Of course the best course of action is to show mercy. There comes a time when mercy clearly isn't enough. I don't know the details of their lives nor do I care, noone's perfect. There actions however to my understanding were justified.

The poor guy wasn't even a machine gunner, he was a drummer for goodness sake. Even if he was, it sickens me how killing him can ever be justified. He was a father, husband, son and brother. Imagine what his kid's life will be like. He will more than likely grow up hating Islam and who knows, he could end up doing the same thing to a muslim. Yes, our brothers and sisters are dying on a daily basis but if we go around killing soldiers, does it make us any different to them? It is people like the Woolwich killers that give islam a very bad name and i think what they did was very callous and cowardly and they deserve to rot in prison. Anyone who agrees with what they did is just as bad as them and although you may think you're helping the ummah, particularly those in warzone countries, it is quite the opposite.

Thats what i have to say on the matter.

Lee Rigby was in fact a machine gunner, I don't know where you heard he was a drummer. The people he kills too have Fathers, son's and daughters who are probably all dead because of Foreign policy.

Killing soldiers for the sake of protecting our people and not letting Muslim lands be infiltrated. Yes it does make us difference. We are defending ourselves instead of letting the US military carry out continuous attacks and then calling it as Umar says "Collateral damage".

These Muslims are showing that they're not afraid to fight back. Even though admittedly the Woolwich murder was a tactical failure. So what do you suggest... we sit around and let the west do as they please. This ummah is so weak, wallahi. We are not united at all, we are acting like the khuffar.. passive idiots who eat propoganda and follow like sheep. Finally atleast the UK realise to take their troops out because they're not ready for war. They can chill at home and read the daily mail for all I care.
Reply 195

Asalamu alaykum.

Ha, I know you didn't mention me by name but let me just throw in my 2 cents. You can discard it if you wish. :smile:

The issue is, as citizens (I hate that term) of this country, we have a treaty with them as they have given us security so we're not allowed to kill / maim them. There's some other variables and Allah knows best.

You should check out Abu Basir al Tartusi's site. The last I heard of this sheikh, he was fighting in Shaam so Alhamdulillah, he's someone who acts upon his knowledge.

http://www.en.altartosi.com/Covenants.htm

Qādhī Abu Ya’lā in his book Ahkām al-Sultāniyah P152 states:

If any Muslim - enters into Dār al-Harb with security (Amān) or he was taken as captive with them and then released and given security, it is not allowed that he kills them or take their wealth, upon him is that he ensures security as they do so to him.

Ibn 'Ābidīn in his Hāshiyah 4/166 states:

If a Muslim enters Dār al-Harb with Amān (security) it is prohibited for him to resist anything from their blood, wealth or honour, as Muslims abide by their agreements. So, if he brings to us something that he has acquired in a way that is forbidden due to an act of betrayal, he is obliged to give it in charity, with this obligation being imposed strictly due to what he has brought out of their lands, and this is because if he has stolen something from them, he must return it to them.

The brothers had Aman so in this case, I believe it was unlawful for them to have killed the guy and Allah knows best.
Original post by Reform
Asalamu alaykum.

Ha, I know you didn't mention me by name but let me just throw in my 2 cents. You can discard it if you wish. :smile:

The issue is, as citizens (I hate that term) of this country, we have a treaty with them as they have given us security so we're not allowed to kill / maim them. There's some other variables and Allah knows best.

You should check out Abu Basir al Tartusi's site. The last I heard of this sheikh, he was fighting in Shaam so Alhamdulillah, he's someone who acts upon his knowledge.

http://www.en.altartosi.com/Covenants.htm

Qādhī Abu Ya’lā in his book Ahkām al-Sultāniyah P152 states:

If any Muslim - enters into Dār al-Harb with security (Amān) or he was taken as captive with them and then released and given security, it is not allowed that he kills them or take their wealth, upon him is that he ensures security as they do so to him.

Ibn 'Ābidīn in his Hāshiyah 4/166 states:

If a Muslim enters Dār al-Harb with Amān (security) it is prohibited for him to resist anything from their blood, wealth or honour, as Muslims abide by their agreements. So, if he brings to us something that he has acquired in a way that is forbidden due to an act of betrayal, he is obliged to give it in charity, with this obligation being imposed strictly due to what he has brought out of their lands, and this is because if he has stolen something from them, he must return it to them.

The brothers had Aman so in this case, I believe it was unlawful for them to have killed the guy and Allah knows best.

W/salaam.

Jzk, this has shed some knew light. I didn't know about this.. I will look into it.
Reply 197
Same thing, different day.

It's not.

So you would just let the british storm all over Islamic territory and be okay with that?

All over islamic territory?

They're only in one islamic country and they are leaving that one.

They have bases in some islamic countries to protect them from other islamic countries...

Iraq was a secular country by constitution.

Afghanistan was ruled by a group who harboured people wanted by the US.

Of course the Taliban are the only one's who are fighting back.

The Afghan government also does bro. The relationship between us and Afghanistan isn't exactly great.

Maybe their tactics are a little of the extremist side but at least they're standing up for themselves.

They're not standing up for anyone, if they were they would have negotiated with the Afghan government by now and the American troops would have been gone years ago.

They have weapons and are a threat to the people.

So does the policemen, heck maybe even a good portion of the rural Afghanistan population does so.

"Let's collate 100,000s of innocents". They still have to pay one way or another for their actions. Very weak justification on their behalf.

It really isn't, when you consider the amount of strategic bombing that happened in Iraq from American planes and the bombs from Al qaeda and shiite groups exploding almost everywhere, everyday.

They started a war with Islam as soon as the American military et foot in Afghanistan.

American troops set foot in Afghanistan because the taliban refused to hand over a some men and they aided and/or abetted people in attacks against the US.

A war is exactly how it will end. It seems as though Muslims are siding with the west instead of Justice.

Was the US/NATO in a war against Islam when it potentially saved the Muslim population of eastern Europe from genocide in the late 90's?

The war is terrorism. The UK/US are terrorizing Muslims in the middle-east.

How? And if you really think that relations with the west should be at the top of Muslim countries concerns, then I think you are deluded bro. (I say this respectfully)

Especially when you consider that any minute now muslim refugees are waiting to board the next boat to Italy in North Africa.

As I said before;

The only war muslims have and should have is with illiteracy, poverty, corruption, terrorism, unemployment, treatment of women, economic stagnation.

Instead of eating this media propagandist you have to realise the reality.

I think you have to realise reality. America and Europe can either be a friend or they can be your enemy. They have no problem whatsoever with saudi Arabia with its form of Islamic law, nor 55 other muslim countries.

So we have to sit in silence and let the situation flourish. Let the khuffar win.. Okay. What kind of Islamic mindset is that?

How have they won exactly?

What has the UK or US gained from invading Iraq and Afghanistan?

What do you think of the many muslim countries that in some way provide support to those two military campaigns? Are they all kaafir as well?

Rightly so, Troops should retreat because Muslims sure ain't going to give up but the question was "what do you think about the justification of Lee Rigby's murder."

I already answered this question.

I'm not gonna lie, I actually used to think like you akhi. You need to read up on the history of the Iraq campaign and the reasons behind it, as well as the one in Afghanistan. History of American interventions after 1945 etc.. The politics in Afghanistan, Iraq and the US.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 198
W/salaam.

Jzk, this has shed some knew light. I didn't know about this.. I will look into it.

Wa iyyak.

I don't think it's as simple as my other response but I do think they shouldn't have attacked the guy. None of us here can adequately present both opinions (with daleel) though since none of us are scholars.

and Allah knows best.
Reply 199
Sorry for scraping in people.

But have you seen what some guy said about Somalia, it's not true is it?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2544196

Quick Reply

Latest