The Student Room Group

Cognac

I'm just wondering what your favourite and least favourite cognacs are, and what you would be willing to pay for a glass of exceptionally good cognac such as Remy Martin Louis XIII.

My favourite is probably Remy XO. I missed the opportunity to try Extra at the reasonable price of £8 a glass (the bottle ran out and there's no chance they'll replace it with such crap profit margins) and I'm worried I do the same for Louis XIII which, while £42 a glass sounds awful, I doubt you could find cheaper.
Reply 1
Ahh my man :biggrin: a fellow brandy drinker! I love the stuff, in london I had a shot of this french stuff for £25, cant remember what it was.
Reply 2
Yes, I love Cognac. My uncle is too wealthy for his own good, and regularly supplies me with the finest Cognacs.

Hennesy for any peasant guests who come along to my house, and Remy Martin for my father and me.

Ha! and if you think this stuff is expensive, try British Royal Navy Imperial Rum.

Very rarely does the bottle come in under 10 000 pounds (I believe it's roughly that).

I had a glass of it and im fairly certain that glass was worth more than Ethiopia's GDP. :redface:
Reply 3
lolol. but serious, brandy is way nicer than whiskey
Reply 4
Not a fan of Hennessy at all. Even the mid-range Remy VSOP is vastly superior to the Hennessy XO.
Reply 5
Tim Kabel
Ahh my man :biggrin: a fellow brandy drinker! I love the stuff, in london I had a shot of this french stuff for £25, cant remember what it was.

Firstly, I'd like to state that I'm not tight; but tasting whiskies, cognacs, gins and wine is an expensive hobby of mine and I don't have much money!

It depends where you were - but since it was London I reckon it was probably just XO, especially if you were in a hotel bar or restaurant. Hopefully it was Remy Martin Extra or another equivalent (hopefully not Courvoisier, the Lada of cognacs) , in which case you paid a fairly reasonable price.

The price is the only thing I hate about cognac. Here are the price ranges you'll find for a glass of Remy Martin in Edinburgh depending on where you drink:

Grand Cru: £1.75 - £6
VSOP: £2.40 - £9
XO: £7 - £25
Extra: £8 - £50
Louis XIII: £42 - £190

In the end, it's just the same drink wherever you have it, so if you're tasting cognacs I really don't recommend doing it in a five star hotel unless you're willing to pay £9 for a glass of VSOP in the full knowledge that you could buy the entire bottle for £26 at the offsales round the corner.
Oh this is the thread I've been waiting for! :biggrin:

To be honest I've never gone higher than XO, but my regular is Remy VSOP, I usually pay around £5/single for it. I've really been keen to try some Louis XIII and L'Espirit de Courvoisier but unfortunately they're both well out of my price range, however if I found Louis XIII for £42 I might just get keen :p: .

I've never been a fan of Martell to be honest, however I'm new to cognac so maybe I haven't learnt to appreciate it! Anyone know some good books on cognacs?

Has anyone every enjoyed cognac with a good cigar? I once had a Cohiba with some Remy, though as I understand it the best one to have with cigars is Remy Martin Club.
Reply 7
LBC213
Has anyone every enjoyed cognac with a good cigar? I once had a Cohiba with some Remy, though as I understand it the best one to have with cigars is Remy Martin Club.

I've had a Montecristo with Remy XO, which was pretty spectacular; but with the Scottish public smoking ban I've not had a cigar for a while.

I haven't tried Martell yet. It's really difficult to find a good range of cognacs in Edinburgh though, at least off of George Street. This is the best place for trying different cognacs that I've found: http://www.thedomeedinburgh.com/ but it's still three years and two months till I can legally drink there. Oh well, the bouncers don't seem to have noticed yet, but I find it amusing that my 24 year old cousin got ID'd and I've been going there since I turned 17.
ooh i love cognac :biggrin:

now i don't know all that much about the whole XO/VSOP etc etc, but i know what i like
quite recently my mum bought this Remy Martin one and it was absolutely beautiful

wasn't too keen on Hennessy

but the best one i ever had was either this one or this one i can't remember which one it was, but i have had both. i remember because my mum went through so much to try and find somewhere that sold it, she got it imported from abroad, only to find that there's a shop in Preston that sells it :laugh:
Reply 9
qwerty_st/n
quite recently my mum bought this Remy Martin one and it was absolutely beautiful

Bah, that's the Remy XO, my favourite. I'd gladly swap parents with you, my mother only drinks white wine and occasionally steals a gin and tonic off me! :wink:
Reply 10
Thats way too expensive for my liking...
foxo
Bah, that's the Remy XO, my favourite. I'd gladly swap parents with you, my mother only drinks white wine and occasionally steals a gin and tonic off me! :wink:

your mother only drinks white wine and G+T? what? no red :confused: pah! you can keep her :p:
Reply 12
Remy VSOP is my favourite - I am partial to Hennessey occasionally, but only if it's the only brandy there. Courvoisier is piss. I was mortified the first time i paid for courvoisier, never again.

Have to say i love Grand Marnier as well, but i suppose it's considered triple sec.
Reply 13
redluc
I am partial to Hennessey occasionally, but only if it's the only brandy there. Courvoisier is piss. I was mortified the first time i paid for courvoisier, never again.

Hennessy's quite good, but I was rather disappointed as I paid £12 for a glass of the XO and it didn't meet my expectations. In my opinion its nose isn't as pleasant as Remy VSOP and the taste isn't as rewarding or complex. As for Courvoisier, that's just truly awful. Gritty, syrupy, flabby - a sort of stale taste, even. A cheap perfumed nose of butterscotch, toffee and vanilla: completely boring. Napoleon's favourite my arse.
redluc
Have to say i love Grand Marnier as well, but i suppose it's considered triple sec.

oooh. i looooove Grand Marnier, it's divine :love:

my old dear used to buy it all the time, it was my first ever taste of alcohol.
*remembers fondly*

have not had it for ages though :frown:
I wouldn't even feed Remy XO to a stray dog. All that liquor must have buggered your taste buds!
Reply 16
I tried a small Cohiba with a glass of Remy VSOP and some belgian chocolate after lunch today. Sheer perfection, definitely the nicest cigar I've ever had.
Reply 17
Hmmmmm, I had a particularly nice Cognac whilst I was away, I think it was €3.10. Was a good bottle aswell, Extra IIRC.
One good thing about the French, as everything is local, it's far cheaper. :biggrin:
My horse is the exact colour of Cognac, his registered show name and stable name has been Cognac for nearly 10 years. Shame I don't really like drinking it
Reply 19
a hennessy XO last night was £16 where i was.. i went for it and wasn't too impressed. the louis XIII was £160 i think.

Latest