The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry C1 Exam 10th June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lerjj
So how does that work?

This should help you. However, I don't think you need to know the process; just what it is.
Reply 21
Original post by LancePereira
This should help you. However, I don't think you need to know the process; just what it is.

umm... what should help me? Did you mean to attach something?

Would I be correct (for 1/2 marks) in saying:

"Bio-leaching is a method of extracting a higher quality solution from a low grade ore using bacteria. The metal is the extracted from the solution using conventional means."

Or would it be expected to describe how the bacteria extract it (which I don't know, I would assume they ingest the rock somehow and produce high metal conc. waste).
Original post by lerjj
umm... what should help me? Did you mean to attach something?

Would I be correct (for 1/2 marks) in saying:

"Bio-leaching is a method of extracting a higher quality solution from a low grade ore using bacteria. The metal is the extracted from the solution using conventional means."

Or would it be expected to describe how the bacteria extract it (which I don't know, I would assume they ingest the rock somehow and produce high metal conc. waste).

You would get the marks, that's all you really need to know about bioleaching.
Reply 23
Does anyone know the topics which are most likely to come up tomorrow
Hi, can someone explain the miller Urey experiment for me please?i really don't get it :confused:
Original post by Mimi_A
Does anyone know the topics which are most likely to come up tomorrow

On most of the past papers I have been doing the Miller-Urey experiment comes up loads and I think also extracting metals, fractional distillation and probably the different things to do with atoms. Hope it helps :tongue:
Original post by lerjj
2) So how do you tell it apart from saturated fats? If neither decolourise it then it's not a very good test

4) Thanks! Makes sense

5) Didn't know this was copper specific, I think it's being done with some other metals as well (maybe experimentally atm?) But yeah, price of copper is going up so it's a good example for both bio-l and phyto-m.

You turn!

1) Give an advantage of forming ethanol through fermentation

2) Give an advantage of forming ethanol through the hydration of a hydrocarbon, and name the hydrocarbon.

3) Who was Wegener?

4) Why is aluminium more expensive than iron (for this assume that Al is either more or equally abundant as Fe, which I think is true)

1) An advantage could be that it is environmentally friendly in other words it is carbon neutral, so it takes in the same amount of carbon it gives out?

2) An advantage could be it is cheaper than other methods? The hydrocarbon would be Ethane ?

3) Wegner was the person who came up with the idea of continental drift, the main evidence he gave was something called Pangea which means all lands I think, this was one big continent, but it was not accepted by other scientisits at the time because he was just a teacher and not a well know scientist, plus the theory of a land bridge between south America and Africa was widley accepted by the other scientist

4) this is because you have to put aluminium through electrolysis? But you don't have to put iron through electrolysis, is this something to do with higher grade ores of aluminium ?
Original post by 21sophie21
Hi, can someone explain the miller Urey experiment for me please?i really don't get it :confused:

No problem friend !!!

They were two American scientists who did the experiment in 1952 but was released in 1953

They sealed a mixture of; water , ammonia, methane, and hydrogen. But they heated the water to produce water vapour. They left it for a couple of days, while zapping it with an electric current to simulate lightning

Why was it not successful?

It was not successful because they wanted to produce a life form but instead they produced amino acids

why did they only produce amino acids??

As oxygen was present in the water, so this was not avliable at the start of earths early atmosphere so it was not complete evidence I think

Try making that shorter to help you to take it in, i.e mindmaps or whatever

Will
Reply 28
Original post by Billsonbubbles
1) An advantage could be that it is environmentally friendly in other words it is carbon neutral, so it takes in the same amount of carbon it gives out?

2) An advantage could be it is cheaper than other methods? The hydrocarbon would be Ethane ?

3) Wegner was the person who came up with the idea of continental drift, the main evidence he gave was something called Pangea which means all lands I think, this was one big continent, but it was not accepted by other scientisits at the time because he was just a teacher and not a well know scientist, plus the theory of a land bridge between south America and Africa was widley accepted by the other scientist

4) this is because you have to put aluminium through electrolysis? But you don't have to put iron through electrolysis, is this something to do with higher grade ores of aluminium ?

Pretty much correct on all counts. Hydration of ethane is cheaper (amongst other reasons) because it can be done continuously, unlike fermentation. Electrolysis makes aluminium expensive because of its high energy costs, iron can be reduced using carbon because its less reactive, so is cheaper.
Um, can anyone go over polymers? What do we need to know about them? Thank you so much :smile:
No problem friend !!!

They were two American scientists who did the experiment in 1952 but was released in 1953

They sealed a mixture of; water , ammonia, methane, and hydrogen. But they heated the water to produce water vapour. They left it for a couple of days, while zapping it with an electric current to simulate lightning

Why was it not successful?

It was not successful because they wanted to produce a life form but instead they produced amino acids

why did they only produce amino acids??

As oxygen was present in the water, so this was not avliable at the start of earths early atmosphere so it was not complete evidence I think

Try making that shorter to help you to take it in, i.e mindmaps or whatever

Will

Thank you so much! I'm so nervous for this exam tomorrow :cool:
Original post by lerjj
Pretty much correct on all counts. Hydration of ethane is cheaper (amongst other reasons) because it can be done continuously, unlike fermentation. Electrolysis makes aluminium expensive because of its high energy costs, iron can be reduced using carbon because its less reactive, so is cheaper.

Thanks mate!!

Hope you ace this exam tomorrow, one shall be victorious against the wicked worlds of exams, see I used English there !!! I don't even need it , bam!! and such

Will
Original post by 21sophie21
Thank you so much! I'm so nervous for this exam tomorrow :cool:

Aw you will be fine, and that's coming from some random guy on the web!
:biggrin: a little happy face for good luck there, not that you need it

TOP tip:

Just write the correct answer and you will be fine !
Aw you will be fine, and that's coming from some random guy on the web!
:biggrin: a little happy face for good luck there, not that you need it

TOP tip:

Just write the correct answer and you will be fine !

Haha thank you :smile:
Original post by anjaliiii
Um, can anyone go over polymers? What do we need to know about them? Thank you so much :smile:

I AM on fire here...

You need to know that for polymerisation requires very high pressures and temperatures,

ethene gas undergoes a reaction to become polyethene- poly means a lot

The double bond breaks into a single bond to connect onto the next monomer so that the chain can become longer.

However just for sakes sake the longer the hydrocarbon chain the higher the melting and boiling point, also the Viscosity is increased as well, this just means it appears more 'thick and like syrup'

Problems with polymers-

We dump polymers in landfill sites but most of them are not biodegradeable so they take hundreds of years to decay

We fix this by adding cornstarch to the plastic to make it decay in a few years, because the cornstarch is eaten by bacteria, this reduces the amount of time it spends in landfill

Thermosetting and thermosoftening-

Thermsosetting is always hard from when it is made and does not soften on heaten

Thermsoftening- opposite

Sorry for my spelling , plus anything I have missed let me know please
Reply 35
Hey does anyone have any ideas what a 6 mark question could be for this paper.
Original post by Will W
Hey does anyone have any ideas what a 6 mark question could be for this paper.

I personally think that something to do wit polymers or biodiesel i.e how its made -

Will
Reply 37
I personally think that something to do wit polymers or biodiesel i.e how its made -

Will

Oh thats alright thanks mate good luck tomorrow btw! :smile:
The percentage of carbon dioxide in the Earth’s atmosphere has changed.
Give two reasons why.

What are the main steps needed to obtain pure ethanol from the mixture produced after
three days?

Many scientists are concerned about the carbon dioxide released from burning fossil
fuels such as petrol.

Governments and people often ignore scientists’ predictions of an earthquake.
Suggest three reasons why.
Reply 39
Original post by jshep000
The percentage of carbon dioxide in the Earth’s atmosphere has changed.
Give two reasons why.

What are the main steps needed to obtain pure ethanol from the mixture produced after
three days?

Many scientists are concerned about the carbon dioxide released from burning fossil
fuels such as petrol.

Governments and people often ignore scientists’ predictions of an earthquake.
Suggest three reasons why.

1.Because oceans were formed which absorb the CO2 in the atmosphere, its a sink. Then more trees and plants started to grow so they had to respire and so they took in CO2 and released O2.

4. And because more often than not the predictions are wrong and its a financial loss for the government for everyone because the government would have to evacuate the city and also the people will have to shut up the businesses so they wont have any income coming in.

I dont know as much for 2, 3 so not going to answer them dont want to tell you the wrong stuff!

Quick Reply

Latest