The Student Room Group

mole calculations sheet

hi i have these questions to ask if anyone knows please answer.with all working outs pleases if possible.

1) what mass of calcium oxide is formed when 16g of calcium metal is heated in the air?

2Ca + O2 _______ 2CaO

For questions 2 and 3 the molar volume of a gas at RTP = 24 dm3.

2) what is the mass of 12dm3 of Oxygen gas (02) at RTP?

3) What is the volume of 96g of sulphur dioxide (SO2) measured at RTP?

thanks to anyone who helps
For No. 1,

No. of mol of Ca
= Mass/Ar of Ca
= 16g / 40
= 0.4 mol

As stoichiometry coefficient of Ca = stoichiometry coefficient of CaO, thus they have the same no. of mol, i.e. 0.4 mol.

No. of mol of CaO = Mass/Mr of CaO
0.4 mol = G / 56
.: G = 22.4 g

For No. 2,

24 dm3 = 1 mol
12 dm3 = 12 / 24 = 0.5 mol

For No. 3,

No. of mol of SO2
= Mass / Mr of SO2
= 96 g / 64
= 1.5 mol

1 mol = 24 dm3
.: 1.5 mol = 24 x 1.5
= 36 dm3
kubra
hi i have these questions to ask if anyone knows please answer. with all working outs pleases if possible.

Pardon me for being suspicious, but it sounds kinda like you want someone to do your homework for you. Honestly, it's a bad idea, because you won't be able to ask someone in the exam.

(God I sound like my teacher :s: )
Reply 3
Revd. Mike
Pardon me for being suspicious, but it sounds kinda like you want someone to do your homework for you. Honestly, it's a bad idea, because you won't be able to ask someone in the exam.

(God I sound like my teacher :s: )

couldnt agree more
Reply 4
yh i know wat u mean, but then i will know how exactly to do it and if any other time i get a similar question i'll understand the method of getting to the answer. because jhust writing the answer wont help now will it cuz i'll have to know how i got to the answer.

i know i could have asked my teacher but it seems like they dont have time and so i get more useful info out of this site.

thanks
kind regards
kubra
Reply 5
Check out this stoichiometric calculations lecture - should help.

Latest