The Student Room Group

As Chemistry - Ionic Bonding

'Explain why lithium bromide shows appreciable solubility in organic solvents' - We've just began learning As Level chemistry so could someone please answer this reaaaaallly basically. THANKS :smile:
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
I'm not sure how familiar you are with this but have you heard the term: like dissolves like? Well, anyway, this essentially means if you have a substance which is polar (such as the lithium bromide compound) then it will only dissolve in a polar solvent, like water.

However, with lithium bromide the lithium cation is rather small which means it can react with small ions, such as oxygen in an organic compound. Similarly, the bromide is a large anion which means that the two contrasting size ions don't interact to a great extent meaning the lattice can be broken easier. As a result, when the lithium cation reacts with the oxygen, for example, then the bromide has no choice but to follow due to their attraction. This means that lithium bromide is soluble in some organic compounds to some degree, anyway.

Hope I helped.
Reply 3
Original post by Kozmo
I'm not sure how familiar you are with this but have you heard the term: like dissolves like? Well, anyway, this essentially means if you have a substance which is polar (such as the lithium bromide compound) then it will only dissolve in a polar solvent, like water.

However, with lithium bromide the lithium cation is rather small which means it can react with small ions, such as oxygen in an organic compound. Similarly, the bromide is a large anion which means that the two contrasting size ions don't interact to a great extent meaning the lattice can be broken easier. As a result, when the lithium cation reacts with the oxygen, for example, then the bromide has no choice but to follow due to their attraction. This means that lithium bromide is soluble in some organic compounds to some degree, anyway.

Hope I helped.

Thanks!! - I can't apologise enough for how late that was haha

Quick Reply

Latest