The Student Room Group

The Ideal Gas Equation: Volatile Liquids

Why are you able to use the ideal gas equation for a volatile liquid to determine its relative molecular mass? Surely because it's still a liquid the forces between the particles are too high for the ideal gas equation to be used? Please explain this thoroughly, thanks!
Bump.
Original post by HurtfulHarold
Why are you able to use the ideal gas equation for a volatile liquid to determine its relative molecular mass? Surely because it's still a liquid the forces between the particles are too high for the ideal gas equation to be used? Please explain this thoroughly, thanks!

You can't???
It's not a gas?

I have a feeling it's something to do with the fact that it's volatile. That means it easily evaporates at room temperature...into a gas.
Original post by will'o'wisp
You can't???
It's not a gas?

But in the AQA Specification it states 'Students could be asked to find the Mr of a volatile liquid.' under sub section 3.1.2.3. Are you certain it's only for gases?
Original post by typicalvirgo
I have a feeling it's something to do with the fact that it's volatile. That means it easily evaporates at room temperature...into a gas.

Oh so if it's room temperature and you have a volatile liquid, you can just assume it would be a gas correct?
But in the AQA Specification it states 'Students could be asked to find the Mr of a volatile liquid.' under sub section 3.1.2.3. Are you certain it's only for gases?

Logic would say yes

I'm sure they'll give you like the number of moles or a concentration and a volume or something
Original post by will'o'wisp
Logic would say yes

I'm sure they'll give you like the number of moles or a concentration and a volume or something

Hopefully, I may be acting paranoid but I don't want to mess up on a simple question like this if it comes up in the exam. I looked up volatile liquids and they are gases at room temperature so I think I've got it now.
Reply 8
Just warm it up a bit until it all converts to a gas and then use that temperature in PV = nRT.
Original post by Pigster
Just warm it up a bit until it all converts to a gas and then use that temperature in PV = nRT.

Ah I understand now thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest