The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Comets did form with the solar system: some are suspected to come from a cloud of material left over from the formation of the Sun itself!

I must admit I don't really see the point of the question: the major defining feature of a comet is that its orbit is different to that of a planet or asteroid, being highly ellipitcal and sometimes (although rarely) hyperbolic.
Reply 2
Oh okay. Thanks anyway.
Reply 3
Does anyone else know?
Reply 4
Look up "Oort cloud".

Comets orbit a long long way from the Sun. Sometimes they interact and get thrown out of their normal orbits into highly eccentric orbits which take them close to the Inner planets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oort_cloud
Reply 5
comets with periods of less than 20 years are thought to have originated in the Kuiper belt, around where Pluto is.
Reply 6
l0uis
I'm stuck on this question: Why is a comet's orbit different to that of a planet? Give two reasons. I've wrote that a comet's orbit is different because it did not form with our Solar system. If anyone could help that'd be great.
Thanks.

1. They are highly elliptical
2. They do not lie in the same plane as that of the planets (the ecliptic)
Reply 7
bunthulhu
1. They are highly elliptical
2. They do not lie in the same plane as that of the planets (the ecliptic)

Those reasons are how a comet's orbit is different to a planet's, not why: a description, if you will, where the question asks for an explanation.
Reply 8
Morbo
Those reasons are how a comet's orbit is different to a planet's, not why: a description, if you will, where the question asks for an explanation.

Okay. But I think it could be interpreted either way, especially as 'why' is a much more difficult question to answer, and one I'd be surprised for a 15 year old to be asked at that level of study :smile:

Latest