The Student Room Group

Isaac Physics SPC Summer School

Hi - I'm interested in applying for the Isaac Physics Summer School, but have a slight problem. I am currently on track to complete every challenge question on the website (I'm at around 700 as of right now), but so are at least 3 other people in my year group. I see this as a problem because Isaac Physics have stated numerous times that only 2 people will be chosen per school, even if more people than this have completed a sufficient number of questions. If this is the case, does anyone know what will happen in the case that all 4 of us answer every question on the website, and are on the exact same level as one another? How will Isaac Physics pick which people should go on the residential? If it matters, we have all basically been doing questions since the start of the year.

On top of this, I've heard that questions only start counting in September, but I answered a couple of challenge questions in August before school started (probably around 50) - will these be counted towards the summer school placement or no?

Thank you for the help!

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I'm sorry I don't know much about how that'll work for you. I think they do one boy and one girl, I read this somewhere. Would anyone know by any chance what they mean by a 'fair split of maths and physics questions'? I'm really proud of my progress so far and reckon there's a good chance that I'll make it to enough questions but only 26% of my correct questions are maths ones and I worry that this won't be enough. What do we know about it? Thanks!
Original post by TheSturmanator
Hello, I'm sorry I don't know much about how that'll work for you. I think they do one boy and one girl, I read this somewhere. Would anyone know by any chance what they mean by a 'fair split of maths and physics questions'? I'm really proud of my progress so far and reckon there's a good chance that I'll make it to enough questions but only 26% of my correct questions are maths ones and I worry that this won't be enough. What do we know about it? Thanks!
Hey! I actually go to an all boys school so I'm not sure how the one boy and one girl feature would apply, but thanks for the information. Regarding your question, I think that you have to have roughly a 40/60 split for maths/physics respectively (at least that's what I've seen in the past), but I'm sure they'll allow some leeway depending on the number of questions done. Hope that helps!
Original post by CelestialMaster7
Hey! I actually go to an all boys school so I'm not sure how the one boy and one girl feature would apply, but thanks for the information. Regarding your question, I think that you have to have roughly a 40/60 split for maths/physics respectively (at least that's what I've seen in the past), but I'm sure they'll allow some leeway depending on the number of questions done. Hope that helps!
Oh! Me too, but I’m aware that I’m the only one doing the challenge. I wish you luck in getting there! Out of interest what’s your split like? I study further maths and am finding the maths ones really hard. Also by doing a bit of counting up I think I have about 50 maths ones remaining on the entire site, and these are ones I’ve tried again and again to do. I’ll hope my 25:75 ratio will be enough for them.
Oh! Me too, but I’m aware that I’m the only one doing the challenge. I wish you luck in getting there! Out of interest what’s your split like? I study further maths and am finding the maths ones really hard. Also by doing a bit of counting up I think I have about 50 maths ones remaining on the entire site, and these are ones I’ve tried again and again to do. I’ll hope my 25:75 ratio will be enough for them.
Thanks for wishing me luck - I might need it 😭. I've done every Maths question on the website except for 2 which I reckon I can knock out in a couple days. I also found some really challenging, but through persevering (and a lot of stubbornness) I managed to get them, and got a LOT better at Maths as a result. I've also finished every Physics question on the website except for mechanics, so I would say I have a pretty even split between the two subjects, although I definitely have more Physics completed than Maths, though there's not much I can do about that considering I've hit the cap on Maths Questions. I would say that if you are in a similar situation they won't ignore your application because you have done so much more Physics than Maths, since theres just that much more Physics than Maths on the website itself - at least it wouldn't seem fair to me if they choose to do that.
Reply 5
Seeing as they only send 50 people I think it must be crazy hard to get in. Do you know what the current top 60 are in questions correct?
Original post by MrMudaly
Seeing as they only send 50 people I think it must be crazy hard to get in. Do you know what the current top 60 are in questions correct?
To my knowledge there isn't something like an official leaderboard, so the best way to find out is by word of mouth. However, I can confidently say that 4 of the top 10 are from my school, considering how few questions we have remaining, and how little people have done in previous years and still gotten in. Usually, if theres only one person who is actively doing questions in a school you would only need 300-400 to get in, based on previous years. However, when there are multiple people in the same school doing tonnes of questions, it gets a lot harder because only one person is usually admitted per school. That means that if someone else in your school has done 700 questions, even if most other people who got in did only 400 questions, you would still need to do over 700 questions to have a shot at getting in. At least thats how I interpret what they have said on the website.
Thanks for wishing me luck - I might need it 😭. I've done every Maths question on the website except for 2 which I reckon I can knock out in a couple days. I also found some really challenging, but through persevering (and a lot of stubbornness) I managed to get them, and got a LOT better at Maths as a result. I've also finished every Physics question on the website except for mechanics, so I would say I have a pretty even split between the two subjects, although I definitely have more Physics completed than Maths, though there's not much I can do about that considering I've hit the cap on Maths Questions. I would say that if you are in a similar situation they won't ignore your application because you have done so much more Physics than Maths, since theres just that much more Physics than Maths on the website itself - at least it wouldn't seem fair to me if they choose to do that.
Thank you! I’ll just keep going then. I know I’m the only one in my school doing it which is a good sign. Regarding the distribution, I‘ll just keep working. It’s amazing how much Isaac has done for me, I was thinking about it the other day. I took the physics challenge and got what should be a comfortable gold on Friday, and I didn’t need to prepare for it at all! Feels pretty good.
Reply 8
Hi - I'm interested in applying for the Isaac Physics Summer School, but have a slight problem. I am currently on track to complete every challenge question on the website (I'm at around 700 as of right now), but so are at least 3 other people in my year group. I see this as a problem because Isaac Physics have stated numerous times that only 2 people will be chosen per school, even if more people than this have completed a sufficient number of questions. If this is the case, does anyone know what will happen in the case that all 4 of us answer every question on the website, and are on the exact same level as one another? How will Isaac Physics pick which people should go on the residential? If it matters, we have all basically been doing questions since the start of the year.
On top of this, I've heard that questions only start counting in September, but I answered a couple of challenge questions in August before school started (probably around 50) - will these be counted towards the summer school placement or no?
Thank you for the help!
do only challenge questions count? So can I do any physics or Maths questions on the website?
do only challenge questions count? So can I do any physics or Maths questions on the website?
Most of the relevant information is specified on the website, but yes, only challenge questions of difficult A-Level and above count (with the exception of Master Maths questions and multiple choice questions, which don't count). Any other questions are fair game though.
Yes this is the case. Only ones rated ‘C’ something for a level or above count. Multiple choice don’t count and ‘master maths’ don’t either but I don’t know where they can be found anyway so it’s not a worry
Celestial master, what is your split between maths and physics like?
Celestial master, what is your split between maths and physics like?
I can't check the exact split because I also have a lot of practice questions done, but I've probably got around 60% physics and 40% maths, and the percentage for maths is unlikely to increase since I've now finished every maths question on the site. Ive still got a reasonable amount of mechanics left so I'm guessing that my split will be around 70% physics and 30% maths by the time I'm done. By the way, if you're fine with sharing, what all-boys school do you go to, since it's likely to be close to the one I go to?
Awesome. I’ll try to increase my percentage then because 25 isn’t the best. Any advice for finishing off those maths questions? There aren’t any local all boys schools in my area, whereabouts regionally are you based?
Awesome. I’ll try to increase my percentage then because 25 isn’t the best. Any advice for finishing off those maths questions? There aren’t any local all boys schools in my area, whereabouts regionally are you based?
Ah I see - my school is in Surrey (around 20 minute from Croydon), so you probably aren't that close. With regards to the maths questions, all I can honestly say is just dedicate a lot of time to them and keep trying again and again and again. If you are genuinely stuck, then watch as many maths videos and read information online about the topic you're stuck on, and then try again - that's literally what I did. Good luck with them!
Ah I see - my school is in Surrey (around 20 minute from Croydon), so you probably aren't that close. With regards to the maths questions, all I can honestly say is just dedicate a lot of time to them and keep trying again and again and again. If you are genuinely stuck, then watch as many maths videos and read information online about the topic you're stuck on, and then try again - that's literally what I did. Good luck with them!
Thanks I’ll bear this in mind and try to murder a few more. I’m up in Yorkshire so yeah it’s quite far haha.
Also does anyone know if the Quantum Mechanics Primer questions will count? Thanks!
Thank you for the help!

Wow, 700 is crazy! I was wondering if all of that is A-Level Challenge questions or if its distributed between Further A-Level or even University. I cannot even fathom doing University but was just wondering for Further A's really.
Original post by Studious_Kumar
Wow, 700 is crazy! I was wondering if all of that is A-Level Challenge questions or if its distributed between Further A-Level or even University. I cannot even fathom doing University but was just wondering for Further A's really.

It's quite distributed - obviously I have a lot more A-Level than Further-A and University Level questions, but I have around 50 university questions (4 C3s and 4C2s, with the rest being C1s), and have roughly 160 Further-A questions, of which roughly 40 are C3, 60 are C2 and 70 are C1. The rest are all A-Level, although some questions obviously overlap between A-Level and Further-A, and between Further-A and University. I will do a lot more University and Further-A questions when I work through the Quantum Mechanics Book, though. Hope that helps!
It's quite distributed - obviously I have a lot more A-Level than Further-A and University Level questions, but I have around 50 university questions (4 C3s and 4C2s, with the rest being C1s), and have roughly 160 Further-A questions, of which roughly 40 are C3, 60 are C2 and 70 are C1. The rest are all A-Level, although some questions obviously overlap between A-Level and Further-A, and between Further-A and University. I will do a lot more University and Further-A questions when I work through the Quantum Mechanics Book, though. Hope that helps!

That's super helpful. Thanks! I'm slightly worried now as I am only on around 250 questions in total. Seeing as we only have just over a month left I hope I can get to around 350 maybe 400 questions. Do you have any idea of what the threshold for the certificates may be in terms of questions? And of course other tips would be super appreciated! Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Latest