The Student Room Group

Can I do a PhD after completing a MSc conversion course

I currently possess a degree in microbiology but after 5 years in the field I was looking to switch career directions and after plenty of research have decided that I’m pretty keen on an MSc Computer Science conversion course. My two questions are

Is the conversion course worth it?

If my final grade is high enough could I then pursue a phd in the subject?
I’ve asked this question many times, to people that have insights on this particular subject.
The answer is yes, but with extraordinary grades and lots of learning outside the curriculum.
Another (and easier) pathway is, you can start an advanced computer science masters upon graduating. There are plenty of people who have done that. Especially if you’re home/eu student, it’s totally doable!
Original post by Magpiebigmac
I currently possess a degree in microbiology but after 5 years in the field I was looking to switch career directions and after plenty of research have decided that I’m pretty keen on an MSc Computer Science conversion course. My two questions are

Is the conversion course worth it?

If my final grade is high enough could I then pursue a phd in the subject?

Yes, but its going to be hard especially if you need funding as you will be competing with other students who have relevant bachelors & masters.
You need to show a deep knowledge of the field, understand all the required skills & a strong academic track record.
I think in this scenario speaking to supervisors in advance of applying will be crucial.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending