The Student Room Group

[Official] Computer Science applicants thread 2024 entry

This is a thread for all Computer Science applicants in 2024.

Here are a few opening questions:

1) What A Levels are you doing (or other eligible qualifications)? Are you applying for Postgraduate or Undergraduate?
2) What universities do you have your eyes on? And why?
3) What grades did you get/are you predicted to get at GCSE and Sixth Form?
4) Why Computer Science specifically?
5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit if any, and when will you start preparing for them?
6) Will you be attending any Open Days?
7) How are you feeling about starting University?
8) Other courses you're interested in?
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I’m currently studying maths, further maths, physics and computer science. My predicted grades are around A*A*AA and I’m applying to Oxford, Sheffield, Leeds, Warwick and Plymouth(all University of …). I will be sitting the MAT in about a months time and the Oxford course I’m applying to is a joint honours between Maths and Computer Science.
(edited 7 months ago)
Predicted A*A*AA (Math, physics, chem, further math)
Cambridge ICL Birmingham Bath (undecided)
CS
TMUA in Oct for cambridge

Original post by Izzy-06
I’m currently studying maths, further maths, physics and computer science. My predicted grades are around A*A*AA and I’m applying to Oxford, Sheffield, Leeds, Warwick and Plymouth(all University of …). I will be sitting the MAT in about a months time and the Oxford course I’m applying to is a joint honours between Maths and Computer Science.
Original post by Izzy-06
This is a thread for all Computer Science applicants in 2024.

Here are a few opening questions:

1) What A Levels are you doing (or other eligible qualifications)? Are you applying for Postgraduate or Undergraduate?
2) What universities do you have your eyes on? And why?
3) What grades did you get/are you predicted to get at GCSE and Sixth Form?
4) Why Computer Science specifically?
5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit if any, and when will you start preparing for them?
6) Will you be attending any Open Days?
7) How are you feeling about starting University?
8) Other courses you're interested in?

Doing Maths, Physics, Further Maths, Computer Science
Applying to Cambridge, ICL, KCL, UCL, Warwick; picked unis in London, and Warwick because they offer a great education
GCSE:9998877765 (6 in Geography and 5 in Spanish), predicted A*A*A*A (A in computer science, asked my teacher to bump up that A to an A* and it might work and it might not)
AS level grades: AAAB (B in computer science)
First started because I heard the course make good money, but I enjoy them now.
TMUA in 2 weeks, feel prepared now.
Did not go to any open days
Exciting
Nope
Reply 4
I am predicted IB 775 (Math-AA, CS and Physics) in my HLs with total of 38. What are my chances of an offer from Birmingham Uni for Computer Science BSc? any views?
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by lheeseung_05
Doing Maths, Physics, Further Maths, Computer Science
Applying to Cambridge, ICL, KCL, UCL, Warwick; picked unis in London, and Warwick because they offer a great education
GCSE:9998877765 (6 in Geography and 5 in Spanish), predicted A*A*A*A (A in computer science, asked my teacher to bump up that A to an A* and it might work and it might not)
AS level grades: AAAB (B in computer science)
First started because I heard the course make good money, but I enjoy them now.
TMUA in 2 weeks, feel prepared now.
Did not go to any open days
Exciting
Nope

Congrats on your predicted grades and GCSEs.
I notice you have chosen all top ranking unis for computer science.
Comp sci is very competitive and over the past couple of years there were some students with 4A*s rejected from all their choices. It may be worth putting a safety net choice in there just in case.
Good luck!
Reply 6
I'm applying for MSci (4 year undergrad with 1 year work placement) at Glasgow/Edinburgh only, Glasgow is my first choice.
I already have a First Class BA(although it is from an art school) as well as Highers at AAAAAB (including maths and computing).
Have been teaching myself for quite a while but really keen to get a well-rounded & curated education from very experienced people.
Does anyone know what my chances are like considering I already have an unrelated degree and my school grades are from 6 years ago?
Original post by Blobfish12345
Congrats on your predicted grades and GCSEs.
I notice you have chosen all top ranking unis for computer science.
Comp sci is very competitive and over the past couple of years there were some students with 4A*s rejected from all their choices. It may be worth putting a safety net choice in there just in case.
Good luck!

Hi, I don’t really want to go to universities ranked below them, since I’m an international student who will be paying more than UK home students so I really want my education to worth the money! Thank you for your advice though.
Original post by lheeseung_05
Hi, I don’t really want to go to universities ranked below them, since I’m an international student who will be paying more than UK home students so I really want my education to worth the money! Thank you for your advice though.

'Lower ranking' Universities can often provide a learning exerpience which is better than the ones you have listed. This is a good site for comparing undergraduate experience https://discoveruni.gov.uk/
Your's is a risky application so I wish you good luck.
Reply 9
A levels: Maths, Further maths, Computer Science, Physics, predicted 4 A*s
GCSE: 3 9s, 4 8s, 3 7s, 2 6s (6s in history and latin)
applied for Oxford, Durham, Warwick, Nottingham, Sheffield
CS the A-level that i am enjoying the most, and i really like the course at these universities :smile:
Did the MAT a few days ago, lots of technical difficulties, guess i got 55 - 65%, i was confident i could get 75%+ , sad.
went to about 8 open days
Reply 10
Advanced highers (scottish equivalent of A levels): maths, physics, computing
predicted AAA (and band ones but we can’t submit them on ucas)
highers AAAAAA (all band ones)
applied to cambridge, st andrews, duhram, edinburgh, glasgow
i sat the TMUA last week, honestly no clue how i got on but not too confident. paper 1 was atrocious and paper 2 was lovely.

computer science is what i’ve done most for years and had my heart set on, and i love maths and logic as well so the maths parts of the academic programmes seems perfect

has anyone received an offer yet from any of these unis? or know when about they would be sent?
Reply 11
Original post by emkelt
i sat the TMUA last week, honestly no clue how i got on but not too confident. paper 1 was atrocious and paper 2 was lovely.

computer science is what i’ve done most for years and had my heart set on, and i love maths and logic as well so the maths parts of the academic programmes seems perfect

has anyone received an offer yet from any of these unis? or know when about they would be sent?

Hi, whilst I have some offers I’ve not applied to any of these unis. I would recommend looking online as most unis will share how they deal with admissions. Some places like the University of Leeds wait until the ucas deadline has passed before considering any applicants. You could also keep an eye on the threads for applicants for those unis to see when some people are receiving offers.
Original post by emkelt

I applied last year for computer science to the same unis with very similar stats to you. 6 highers and 1 advanced higher at A1 in S5. Four A1s predicted for S6.
Got a Cambridge interview but was rejected afterwards.
Offer from Durham in January of AA at advanced higher (already had my A grade in AH maths). Edinburgh unconditional arrived in March. Got fed up with waiting and withdrew from Glasgow and St As end of April as by that point I had decided on Edinburgh and wanted to sort my accommodation.
I would expect a long wait, I’m afraid.
Good luck!
Reply 13

I applied last year for computer science to the same unis with very similar stats to you. 6 highers and 1 advanced higher at A1 in S5. Four A1s predicted for S6.
Offer from Durham in January of AA at advanced higher (already had my A grade in AH maths). Edinburgh unconditional arrived in March. Got fed up with waiting and withdrew from Glasgow and St As end of April as by that point I had decided on Edinburgh and wanted to sort my accommodation.
Good luck!

wow that’s amazing!! thank you so much for letting me know!
seems like a long wait though, that must have been annoying
Studying Maths,Bio and Physics
Predicted A*AB(not the best)
Original post by Arundejesh
Studying Maths,Bio and Physics
Predicted A*AB(not the best)

where you applying
Original post by jamest0394q
where you applying

Sheffield Birmingham have thought of any others, what about you ?
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Arundejesh
Sheffield Birmingham have thought of any others, what about you ?

nice bro
im doing them two as well as manchester, durham and leeds
Good luck!

Hi,
l’ e applied to Cambridge as well but I’m kinda stressed about getting rejected before an interview because I feel like my TMUA wasn’t that good. How likely is it that they’ll invite me for an interview? And if you don’t mind me asking, how well did u do on your TMUA?
Reply 19
Original post by Fndjdidisjb

Hi,
l’ e applied to Cambridge as well but I’m kinda stressed about getting rejected before an interview because I feel like my TMUA wasn’t that good. How likely is it that they’ll invite me for an interview? And if you don’t mind me asking, how well did u do on your TMUA?

if it helps i’m in the same boat at the moment

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending