The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Economics A Paper 3: 9EC0 03 - 13 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Any one know how exchange rate or elasticity will fit in the paper since I predicated labour and development will be the 25 markers..?
as the data response
Original post by Caprisan
Any one know how exchange rate or elasticity will fit in the paper since I predicated labour and development will be the 25 markers..?
Original post by drowninalevels
How would they ask the questions on development? Like surely it won't be as simple as "Discuss/evaluate/assess the factors influencing development" or "Discuss/evaluate/assess the strategies influencing development" Does anyone have any ideas how the questions might be worded?

it definetely can be there have been questions exactly like that in the past
what would ur points for this be?

Original post by drowninalevels
How would they ask the questions on development? Like surely it won't be as simple as "Discuss/evaluate/assess the factors influencing development" or "Discuss/evaluate/assess the strategies influencing development" Does anyone have any ideas how the questions might be worded?
Does anyone know whether we have to know the MRP theory in labour markets? I can't find it in the textbook and it's not specifically named on the spec under labour markets, but I remember learning about it and watching econplusdal's video on it so idk??
Original post by anaturner
Does anyone know whether we have to know the MRP theory in labour markets? I can't find it in the textbook and it's not specifically named on the spec under labour markets, but I remember learning about it and watching econplusdal's video on it so idk??

It's not on the spec and you wouldn't get punished for not using it (I don't think) but it's good to have knowledge on it - i.e. it is a key factor driving wage differentials.
Reply 26
Original post by adxmakgunnn
It's not on the spec and you wouldn't get punished for not using it (I don't think) but it's good to have knowledge on it - i.e. it is a key factor driving wage differentials.

how would u use MRP to explain wage differentials?
Original post by ahhaha
how would u use MRP to explain wage differentials?

It is marginal revenue product of labour- which is Marginal physical product multiplied by marginal revenue. MPP has to do with people’s education, skills and qualifications- a major factor determining Demand for labour. Whilst MR has to do with the demand for the product itself- again another major factor for demand for labour as it is a derived demand. Differences in people’s productivity and the demand for the product they produce affect their wage rate.
Reply 28
Original post by jcnjkwenc
anyone know what last years paper 3 questions were?

:smile:
Reply 29
any predictions for the 25 markers?
Original post by en4ml
:smile:

Do you have the mark scheme and examiner report? If so, please can you send them :smile:
Good luck guys!
Reply 32
How would you answer a question about development to include micro economics?
Is it not just a macro topic?
Original post by R S
How would you answer a question about development to include micro economics?
Is it not just a macro topic?

For strategies influencing development, you could talk about the process of industrialisation and how that will can increase wages for people who are partaking in rural-urban migration (the Lewis model). Increased wages = increased disposable income = increases in luxury good purchase = increase in quality of life = development, also pos. multipliers as a result of increased disposable incomes through spending in local firms, increasing the circular flow of income. However, cost of living could be higher in urban areas so you could question whether this migration to industrialised areas would actually change much for workers, as both their wages and spending increases. Also, investment is required for this process to occur and this is potentially unlikely in a less developed economy as education/skills are likely lower, as well as the initial sunk costs for a firm to invest in a ldc. This could be combatted with initial subsisides for firms willing to invest however i think that becomes another point entirely.

that's the chain i would follow anyways
Original post by DanS_2302
For strategies influencing development, you could talk about the process of industrialisation and how that will can increase wages for people who are partaking in rural-urban migration (the Lewis model). Increased wages = increased disposable income = increases in luxury good purchase = increase in quality of life = development, also pos. multipliers as a result of increased disposable incomes through spending in local firms, increasing the circular flow of income. However, cost of living could be higher in urban areas so you could question whether this migration to industrialised areas would actually change much for workers, as both their wages and spending increases. Also, investment is required for this process to occur and this is potentially unlikely in a less developed economy as education/skills are likely lower, as well as the initial sunk costs for a firm to invest in a ldc. This could be combatted with initial subsisides for firms willing to invest however i think that becomes another point entirely.

that's the chain i would follow anyways

to add to that, think about the different economic agents that development effects. It doesnt just effect the economy as a whole, but it can be spurred on by firms investing, workers getting jobs and potentially increased pay... the effects of this on consumers, government, etc.
Are you guys revising trade unions ?
Hope everyone is feeling good for this afternoon!
Other than productivity related factors, what else would count as a micro factor affecting growth and development?
Original post by wtvname
Other than productivity related factors, what else would count as a micro factor affecting growth and development?

Perhaps the volatility of commodity prices which in turn affects a producer's revenue and their incomes.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 39
Good luck everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending