The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Where would you advise us to get apartments and how would you go about it. Also if ur an eu applicant do you still need a visa

Regarding apartments: this is such a good question. In the first year stay close to the university, say no more than a walk of 15 mins. There is a fantastic shopping mall with every facility like restaurants, banks, chemists, shops and bus stops from where buses like the 16 and 116 go from every 15 mins and is situated on Bul. Ruski. Thats 10 mins away.
The uni is building loads of new apartments close to the dental department. Avoid the main road on which the medical uni itself is based. Its heavy with traffic. Otherwise, find a reputable property agency. If they say we need €500 just to hold a property before you see it, walk away. Its a disreputable agent. I am loathe to recommend someone in case it goes wrong. But if you are in an agency like medlink, or one of the others they are happy to recommend.
For EU students, I doubt a visa is necessary but check because the system in Bulgaria is unique to say the least.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi guys, if you want to study Dentistry at PMU, you can join 'Study Dentistry in Plovidiv 2023' on Facebook
i'm in y13 planning on applying for medicine in 2023 and if anyone wants to talk lmk because i'm really lost on where to start right now. any help would be appreciated guys xx
Original post by helpneeded27
i'm in y13 planning on applying for medicine in 2023 and if anyone wants to talk lmk because i'm really lost on where to start right now. any help would be appreciated guys xx

Hi do you want to speak to me on the Facebook group 'Studying Dentistry at Plovidiv uni' group and can speak on messenger. My name's Prav
Hey guys, are any of you using MedConnect? That is the agency I am using.
I'm going for Dentistry at Plovdiv
Original post by Hannahhh_1

heyy, i'm using interhecs, but i did speak with medconnect and they seemed pretty good :smile:
Reply 26
I went with medconnect but for medicine
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, is there anyone applying for Bulgaria 2023 this year

I am! what's ur ig
hey im also in yr 13 applying do u wanna talk on ig? what's ur instagram?
if anyone wants to talk on insta lmk because i'm applying for medicine this year :smile:
if anyone wants to talk on insta lmk because i'm applying for medicine this year :smile:

What’s ur insta?
hey guys the dates for the entrance exams are out but i’m not sure how to register for it. does anyone have any idea how to register??
This is where the agencies excel!
However, the MU website should assist you.
hey guys the dates for the entrance exams are out but i’m not sure how to register for it. does anyone have any idea how to register??

Registration doesn’t open until March 1st
Reply 34
Original post by Hannahhh_1

i haven't heard anything good about medconnect they have some dodgy thing about them and also if you can apply directly why do you need a third party in the process.
Original post by kindiy
i haven't heard anything good about medconnect they have some dodgy thing about them and also if you can apply directly why do you need a third party in the process.

Wdym dodgy thing, can you explain please?? I applied through them and they are great especially with communication honestly amazing
i don't plan on using an agency to apply because the amount of money they're asking is a bit excessive imo but I don't know if it is something i should reconsider??
There are many unseen costs anyway. For example, to get a visa d ( if you are from UK) will cost you with legal(notary) fees, police check fees, trips home (at least 2) for related appointments at Bulgarian embassy, associated hotel costs; then costs to support a resident's permit,setting up a bank account (currency exchange fees on €4000); then getting your A level certificates notarised and recorded, and payment for the entrance exam and registration.... I estimate these costs to be well in excess of £1000. But these costs pale into insignificance compared to the burden the student doing all this without the close guidance and administrative support provided by an agency.
An agency, in my experience is essential: Bulgarian is not a language which is taught fornally in UK schools, and the obstacles are many. Agency staff are bilingual.
Different agencies have different ways of doing things. I think the best ones are those who prompt and support, rather than those who lay it on a plate. The former are cheaper.
Finally, in my view, you will need help obtaining an apartment. If you get this wrong, your experience will be harmed. A good agency will save you every penny you spend on them if you get a good deal on an appartment obtained through them.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Calleva calleva
There are many unseen costs anyway. For example, to get a visa d ( if you are from UK) will cost you with legal(notary) fees, police check fees, trips home (at least 2) for related appointments at Bulgarian embassy, associated hotel costs; then costs to support a resident's permit,setting up a bank account (currency exchange fees on €4000); then getting your A level certificates notarised and recorded, and payment for the entrance exam and registration.... I estimate these costs to be well in excess of £1000. But these costs pale into insignificance compared to the burden the student doing all this without the close guidance and administrative support provided by an agency.
An agency, in my experience is essential: Bulgarian is not a language which is taught fornally in UK schools, and the obstacles are many. Agency staff are bilingual.
Different agencies have different ways of doing things. I think the best ones are those who prompt and support, rather than those who lay it on a plate. The former are cheaper.
Finally, in my view, you will need help obtaining an apartment. If you get this wrong, your experience will be harmed. A good agency will save you every penny you spend on them if you get a good deal on an appartment obtained through them.

Thank you so much!! Are there any agencies you would recommend and any you would recommend me to steer clear of?
In all honestly, every student I know complains about agencies, but when it boils down to it, its because they have chosen the wrong one in terms of the level of support which they needed.
I wont recommend one since you need to find one that suits you best. Contact 3 or 4, ask what they do( you have the list of admin tasks in my last post), and how they help. None of them can secure you a place despite what they say. Pick one that seriously looks at your past grades, and advises you of your chances in an honest and professional manner. Some will say anything just to get £2-4k out of you. Let me know when youve done this, and what you decide and i can comment if you want.
What A levels you doing?

Latest

Trending

Trending