The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Calleva calleva
In all honestly, every student I know complains about agencies, but when it boils down to it, its because they have chosen the wrong one in terms of the level of support which they needed.
I wont recommend one since you need to find one that suits you best. Contact 3 or 4, ask what they do( you have the list of admin tasks in my last post), and how they help. None of them can secure you a place despite what they say. Pick one that seriously looks at your past grades, and advises you of your chances in an honest and professional manner. Some will say anything just to get £2-4k out of you. Let me know when youve done this, and what you decide and i can comment if you want.
What A levels you doing?

i'm doing bio, chem and french but all in all thanks for the advice xx
What medical school are you at and what year if ydm?
(edited 1 year ago)
French will help- latin and Bulgarian are compulsory. But only ur grades in Biology and Chemistry count, and grade C is minimum. However, it is the actual scores on the Biology and Chemistry admission tests which really count in terms of a place being offered. Realistically, 85% needs to be scored on average across the 2 papers. Agencies do help in this reg
by providing past papers, and indeed complete textbooks.
The Course is a proper medical degree and is really challenging. Anatomy class starts at 7.30am at least 3 mornings a week. There are lectures in Physics,Biology and Chemistry throuhout the day. These too are challenging, particularly Physics. There are frequent tests, particularly in Anatomy which are time demanding and seriously stressful. On Saturdays, Sport is compulsory. This takes place at the medical college which is a 25 minute bus ride ( bus 116 for only 1 lev each way).
is there a place where I can find the exam content or the things I need to know for the papers.
Both syllabus on uni website.
Reply 44
Original post by Anonymous
Wdym dodgy thing, can you explain please?? I applied through them and they are great especially with communication honestly amazing

there are alot of em like they charge a number of hidden charges and stuff like that also that they kind of hide the process from you.
Original post by kindiy
there are alot of em like they charge a number of hidden charges and stuff like that also that they kind of hide the process from you.

There are certainly many unseen costs a few of which I itemised in a post above. But these are not charges by the agency. These are simply related to Bulgarian State admin. requirements.
eg. costs associated with obtaining a visa and residency permit which can go well over a £1000.
It is true that agencies might say early on what these costs are, but remember that would be rather premature as until a place has been offered a visa application is unecessary.
The admissions test isnt cheap at €200 and the resit is €300.
But all the agencies are entirely upfront when asked the appropriate questions. Knowing what the relevant questions are is the real issue. Unfortunately, until youve been through the minefield.....
Reply 46
There are certainly many unseen costs a few of which I itemised in a post above. But these are not charges by the agency. These are simply related to Bulgarian State admin. requirements.
eg. costs associated with obtaining a visa and residency permit which can go well over a £1000.
It is true that agencies might say early on what these costs are, but remember that would be rather premature as until a place has been offered a visa application is unecessary.
The admissions test isnt cheap at €200 and the resit is €300.
But all the agencies are entirely upfront when asked the appropriate questions. Knowing what the relevant questions are is the real issue.admissi Unfortunately, until youve been through the minefield.....

The mentioned above costs are not considered hidden but agencies overcharge for example as you mentioned admission test is at 200 but the agency will over charge you saying that the fee increased or like there were limited seats and you will have to pay extra for it. i hope you got my point
Original post by kindiy
The mentioned above costs are not considered hidden but agencies overcharge for example as you mentioned admission test is at 200 but the agency will over charge you saying that the fee increased or like there were limited seats and you will have to pay extra for it. i hope you got my point

That aspect of agency misbehaviour has never been my experience. I am sorry if it is yours. But this goes to the heart of the matter: it is a good idea to contact several agencies before you decide. The questionable behavour YOU describe is somethng that can be clarified.
Original post by helpneeded27
is there a place where I can find the exam content or the things I need to know for the papers.

Biology - https://mu-plovdiv.bg/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/final_KSKtests_1-10_EN-finall.pdf

Chemistry - https://mu-plovdiv.bg/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/ChemistryTestfinal_LAST.pdf
Have anyone registered for the entrance exams?
Reply 50
Has anyone applied for the entrance exam if so when??
Original post by Fa01
Has anyone applied for the entrance exam if so when??

I'm going to apply soon I think and probably for the 20th of June but I'm not sure if I should apply for later.
Reply 52
I'm going to apply soon I think and probably for the 20th of June but I'm not sure if I should apply for later.

I was thinking of doing that too are you applying through medconnect
My advice is to perform the test only when you know you are ready.
Resits cost €300.
You should aim for 85% across both subjects
Reply 54
My advice is to perform the test only when you know you are ready.
Resits cost €300.
You should aim for 85% across both subjects

Yeah I saw the resits price it’s way too much 😭 Dyu have any tips for the entrance exam
Original post by Fa01
Yeah I saw the resits price it’s way too much 😭 Dyu have any tips for the entrance exam

. Agencies have this sewn up. They offer both highly effective coaching materials and past paper exam material. This is why the pass marks for admission are now so high(85-95%):h:ighly coached applicants at one agency compete against highly coached applicants from another.
Frankly the agencies offer so many other services besides, as I describe in an earlier post, that they are now, sine qua non, the major limiting factor in ensuring not just admission but a smooth journey both on admission and afterwards.
(Original post by Calleva calleva). Agencies have this sewn up. They offer both highly effective coaching materials and past paper exam material. This is why the pass marks for admission are now so high(85-95%):h:ighly coached applicants at one agency compete against highly coached applicants from another.
Frankly the agencies offer so many other services besides, as I describe in an earlier post, that they are now, sine qua non, the major limiting factor in ensuring not just admission but a smooth journey both on admission and afterwards.

Is there anywhere else to find these coaching materials or is it only agencies that have access to them? And how much more apart from my a level content do I have to learn?
(Original post by Calleva calleva). Agencies have this sewn up. They offer both highly effective coaching materials and past paper exam material. This is why the pass marks for admission are now so high(85-95%):h:ighly coached applicants at one agency compete against highly coached applicants from another.

Is there anywhere else to find these coaching materials or is it only agencies that have access to them? And how much more apart from my a level content do I have to learn?

All the entrance exam material is on the website. Memorise the chemistry cause the questions never change and for the biology memorise and practice the questions and study a bit

In an earlier post ANONYMOUS#2 provides details how to access past papers.
Unfortunately because A level teaching was so bad during Covid I needed the extra coaching the agency provided.
Probably best to have a good look at the questions on both papers and decide for yourself if you are confident. Some people say they just learn all the answers to the questions by rote and expect the same questions to come up in the exam. In truth I expect an awful lot do pop up again and again. Just to give you some bearings, when I tried test 1 Chemistry, I only got 3 right on the first attempt; and in Biology I only scored 70%. I think everyone is different, and you should thoroughly investigate the situation for yourself
as the exam is neither inexpensive to sit nor resit.
Hello. Are you already in the school or you’re also applying. Do you have any idea of the acceptance rate

Latest

Trending

Trending