The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Teeetaiwo
Hello. Are you already in the school or you’re also applying. Do you have any idea of the acceptance rate

Is there anyone applying to Plovdiv MU and wants to talk on IG
Original post by helpneeded27
if anyone wants to talk on insta lmk because i'm applying for medicine this year :smile:

What’s your insta I’m also applying this year
Original post by Calleva calleva
In an earlier post ANONYMOUS#2 provides details how to access past papers.
Unfortunately because A level teaching was so bad during Covid I needed the extra coaching the agency provided.
Probably best to have a good look at the questions on both papers and decide for yourself if you are confident. Some people say they just learn all the answers to the questions by rote and expect the same questions to come up in the exam. In truth I expect an awful lot do pop up again and again. Just to give you some bearings, when I tried test 1 Chemistry, I only got 3 right on the first attempt; and in Biology I only scored 70%. I think everyone is different, and you should thoroughly investigate the situation for yourself
as the exam is neither inexpensive to sit nor resit.

I went in in the same situation, I knew next to no information on what came up on the entrance exam, what I advise is to go through the syllabus and get a basic understanding on the topics and always practice the exam questions, if there are questions you don't understand research them and understand why the answer is the answer and take down notes and just keep practicing. What I did was watch YouTube videos explaining the topics and wrote down notes and applied the information I learned to the entrance exams
Hello. Are you already in the school or you’re also applying. Do you have any idea of the acceptance rate

An accurate idea on the acceptance rate can't be drawn up this year because they changed how the exam is graded this year and due to the exam being on zoom and not being proctored a lot of people ended up cheating bringing the average of the exam quite high.
Original post by Anonymous
An accurate idea on the acceptance rate can't be drawn up this year because they changed how the exam is graded this year and due to the exam being on zoom and not being proctored a lot of people ended up cheating bringing the average of the exam quite high.

I thought everyone’s camera would be on or is it not so anymore
Reply 65
That aspect of agency misbehaviour has never been my experience. I am sorry if it is yours. But this goes to the heart of the matter: it is a good idea to contact several agencies before you decide. The questionable behavour YOU describe is somethng that can be clarified.

what you said might be right but you know first impression is the last impression so i can't trust them anymore and would continue to advise others to avoid them to too.
I thought everyone’s camera would be on or is it not so anymore

Everyone’s camera and mic is on and there’s like 20 people more or less in one zoom call with the examiner but they can’t see your screen or anything
My son is thinking of applying Plovdiv MU. Can we just apply for the entrance tests via Uni website, before approaching an agency for further guidance on application ? What documents/detail one need before applying for entrance tests?
Reply 68
Original post by Rashkav
My son is thinking of applying Plovdiv MU. Can we just apply for the entrance tests via Uni website, before approaching an agency for further guidance on application ? What documents/detail one need before applying for entrance tests?

It’s doable without an agency but I think applying with one is better because they do most things for you, I’ve went with medconnect and they’ve been really helpful in terms of collecting the documents that was needed and it takes the stress off
Original post by Fa01
It’s doable without an agency but I think applying with one is better because they do most things for you, I’ve went with medconnect and they’ve been really helpful in terms of collecting the documents that was needed and it takes the stress off

I applied without an agency and had absolutely no problems. I got my documents sorted within 2 days. I'd say agencies are best for people applying outside of the EU because of the whole visa process, but if you're applying from within the EU, agencies are just a waste of money in my opinion. Try to find somebody that's already in the Uni that applied from the country you are applying from and ask them questions about how their application process was, otherwise everything is online.
One aspect which deserves mention is the significant increase PlOVDIV MU has placed this year on the relative importance of the final scores on the admission test, vis a vis, the actual A level results. So now its 85% related to the admissions test and only 15% dependent on A level result. This is a massive departure from what it was in previous years( 67:33).
Its difficult to work out what the University is up to, but clearly since some Agencies do offer coaching on how to pass the admissions test, it may prompt more students to join an agency.
It feeds into the narrative that A levels are less Gold standard than UK universities think they are. Maybe.
(edited 1 year ago)

The concept of acceptance rate is a bit misleading
This is because lets say 800 people apply and take the admissions test. Only the 300 or so who score the highest get places. Each year there is a "cut off" score, which is different each year.
Original post by kindiy
i haven't heard anything good about medconnect they have some dodgy thing about them and also if you can apply directly why do you need a third party in the process.

Well I can recommend them. They have been really good with the process for me.
Also they are not dodgy.
are you sure it is grade C minimum? i have no proper idea but i heard it gets quite competitive with the ranking so even if you do well in your entrance test, the grades still need to be pretty good like A/B's. do you think i could get in with ABB's? (B in biology and Chemistry) I also know that the third subject doesn't count (eg the A that I will probably get in English lit)
One aspect which deserves mention is the significant increase PlOVDIV MU has placed this year on the relative importance of the final scores on the admission test, vis a vis, the actual A level results. So now its 85% related to the admissions test and only 15% dependent on A level result. This is a massive departure from what it was in previous years( 67:33).
Its difficult to work out what the University is up to, but clearly since some Agencies do offer coaching on how to pass the admissions test, it may prompt more students to join an agency.
It feeds into the narrative that A levels are less Gold standard than UK universities think they are. Maybe.

Where did they post this information? '85% related to the admissions test and only 15% dependent on A level result. This is a massive departure from what it was in previous year' Thanks so much for telling us all of this!
All the entrance exam material is on the website. Memorise the chemistry cause the questions never change and for the biology memorise and practice the questions and study a bit

Do you know if the chemistry questions not changing is the same for Dentistry?
are you sure it is grade C minimum? i have no proper idea but i heard it gets quite competitive with the ranking so even if you do well in your entrance test, the grades still need to be pretty good like A/B's. do you think i could get in with ABB's? (B in biology and Chemistry) I also know that the third subject doesn't count (eg the A that I will probably get in English lit)

I have mixed messages on whether its a C or E as the minimum grade. I do know its ab exam grade of 62%.
However, the A level grades now only account for 15% of the final score, the admissions test being more relevant.
The entrance exam is the same for Medicine and Dentistry and the chemistry exam never changes but the biology exam contains some of the past questions as well as new ones
Do you know if the chemistry questions not changing is the same for Dentistry?
Where did they post this information? '85% related to the admissions test and only 15% dependent on A level result. This is a massive departure from what it was in previous year' Thanks so much for telling us all of this!

Calculation of the score for participation in the rating procedure:
Average score of the Secondary Education Diploma marks in Biology and Chemistry reduced to the six-scale grading system;
Marks from the entrance examinations in Biology and Chemistry multiplied by three;
Maximum score: 42;
Minimum score: 26
Applicants who have failing marks in any of the above mentioned tests will not participate in the ranking of admitted students.
Reply 79
Original post by Hannahhh_1
Well I can recommend them. They have been really good with the process for me.
Also they are not dodgy.

According to my experience, they are exceedingly uncooperative, far too shady, and lacking in genuineness.

Latest

Trending

Trending