The Student Room Group

l'histoire d'une de mes folies: a sort of diary thing

Scroll to see replies

feeling really rubbish today... the dofe practice left me in so much PAIN and then i started my period and i keep fighting with my mum and now i feel sick :///
Original post by maryamaishah
feeling really rubbish today... the dofe practice left me in so much PAIN and then i started my period and i keep fighting with my mum and now i feel sick :///

Hey it's gonna be okay. Just rest for some time, watch a movie or something. You'll feel better.
oh! i forgot to say! if you guys remember that petition i was talking about, we got it approved! we had a mufti day and this stupid coin trail. the coin trail idea was stupid, but we raised money, and that's going to help people, and that's all that really matters
oh! i forgot to say! if you guys remember that petition i was talking about, we got it approved! we had a mufti day and this stupid coin trail. the coin trail idea was stupid, but we raised money, and that's going to help people, and that's all that really matters

:dance:

Sorry to hear that :frown: :console: That really sucks
you know that warm bubbly feeling you get when you have friends? yeah. its nice. (louise this is about you and also lily but she's not here) (hi louise, go away)

my dad was away for a little bit recently, so ive been taking the coach to school. yesterday, the driver drove past my stop and had a go at me, but today was alright. i had hip (see earlier posts) first instead of form and we did the crossword. it was nice and super chill, and then i had history. history was also super chill, i sat with diana, a girl we will call allie and helena and we talked but we also got stuff done, which is the best. i had english after with helena, louise, and lane. I HATE a christmas carol, and i miss macbeth so much, but we made it through the lesson.

at breaktime, i handed in my french penpal letter, which i will take a break now to tell you about.

months and months ago i received a letter from this french kid, he lives in paris, and his letter was really stupid (apologies if you've somehow found this, dude) anyway, i wrote back because it was mandatory lol and i got a reply last week, so i've written back to him again. he has very good taste in music and pink hair.

ANYWAY.
after break i had biology and we talked about how to hide a body best, and then pshce, where i got to go to lane, louise, and helena's form to talk about STIs! yippee!! (louise's face was so funny she was in disgust) for once, i had nothing on at lunch. i studied for a bit, and then went to maths which- surprise, surprise- sucked. and then i had chemistry which was great i love chemistry.

i got my report yesterday. most of my grades went down (haven't shed a single tear though), but i was expecting that. some actually went up! overall, i think it went pretty decent, and im currently in a great mood. i now need to go study for my physics test tomorrow, so i'll type to you later

bye (:
you know that warm bubbly feeling you get when you have friends? yeah. its nice.

at breaktime, i handed in my french penpal letter, which i will take a break now to tell you about.

months and months ago i received a letter from this french kid, he lives in paris, and his letter was really stupid (apologies if you've somehow found this, dude) anyway, i wrote back because it was mandatory lol and i got a reply last week, so i've written back to him again. he has very good taste in music and pink hair.

ANYWAY.
after break i had biology and we talked about how to hide a body best, and then pshce, where i got to go to lane, louise, and helena's form to talk about STIs! yippee!! (louise's face was so funny she was in disgust) for once, i had nothing on at lunch. i studied for a bit, and then went to maths which- surprise, surprise- sucked. and then i had chemistry which was great i love chemistry.

i got my report yesterday. most of my grades went down (haven't shed a single tear though), but i was expecting that. some actually went up! overall, i think it went pretty decent, and im currently in a great mood. i now need to go study for my physics test tomorrow, so i'll type to you later

bye (:

This is so nice to read :hugs:
after break i had biology and we talked about how to hide a body best

See now this is the kinda stuff I should’ve been learning in biology. Congrats you now know how to successfully get away with murder :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
ramadan mubarak!!
i'm now on easter holidays, and im not gonna lie, i love it. yes, i have lots of work to do, and yes i have to revise for my end of years, but im gonna go out and have fun! im going to diana's on tuesday! louise came over on friday! im gonna have an iftar party! and im gonna sleep and crochet and read and write and not wear my school uniform.

anyway. i need to go. bye (:
i mentioned in my first post that i had epilepsy, but that we kinda try to ignore it, but this month it's been really difficult to. at the moment, it's ramadan, and pretty much all muslims my age are fasting, because we're all old enough and pretty much all in the right state to do so.

except me.

i initially planned to fast some days but not others in order to not screw with my meds, but it didn't work out and i had to break my fast early. we've decided not to try again this year just to be safe because it gets harder as the month continues. i don't know... it feels stupid. i'm just sad that i don't get to be part of that.

ok that's me being emo. im hosting an iftar with my friends tonight and inshallah its gonna be rilly fun. bye (:
this is totally random but when you see other people's name for you in their phone and its got like a heart or smth by it ABSJFHSEFHESKFHSKH

thanks for reading lol
this is totally random but when you see other people's name for you in their phone and its got like a heart or smth by it ABSJFHSEFHESKFHSKH

thanks for reading lol

Yeah that would make me sooo happy:biggrin:
helloooo
i haven't written in quite a while but here's a quick update and then i'll talk about my day
- i didn't go on my geography field trip, i got crazy sick (fine now)
- im back at school
- my dofe expedition is on friday \:
- exams start from tuesday
- EID MUBARAK <3333333333

anyway. i cant remember anything else lol

so today i had geography first, which we spent doing revision. you probably don't care but i did rivers and started work on a past paper. as i have mentioned many times before, i rilly like geography. initially i was kinda worried about missing the fieldwork, but actually it was fine and im better off than everyone else (this one girl came back claiming she got possessed, everyone had random bruises, and they are ALL sick)

i had biology after, which was quite fun because my biology teacher is really funny although biology is my weakest subject, so i had a bit of trouble (I KNEW YOU WERE TROUBLE WHEN YOU WALKED INNNNN) but i pulled through. we talked about peat and once again dead bodies (jealous, @Huzam001?) and he kept claiming there were snakes loose on the school grounds.

then it was break....................................................i went to the library.....................................................................it was very boring frankly
OH! so yesterday (random off topic story) i was going to join this panel meeting for this magazine (im part of the panel bc i won a competition last year) and this was the last panel meeting of the year. and i left my chemistry lesson (already missed 2 this term bc i got sick) early which was a revision lesson only for me to get an email 15 minutes before saying it was cancelled. very annoyed lol.

rant over, back to school.

break was followed by physics, where i did a practical with allie and another girl (THE NEW SEATING PLAN IS GREAT) and i made jokes the whole time because i am hilarious (translation: too influenced by percy jackson)and my teacher told me that my team had won house engineering (girlbosses, really)

and then it kinda went downhill because i had maths, which was better than usual because it was just independent revision. feeling a bit less worried about maths at the moment (probably going to regret saying that). the lesson went by pretty quickly, and then at lunch i was totally free because rocket science club is done. lily and i recreated the eras tour for our friends who don't like taylor swift and two random year sevens.

today was founder's day, so we had an extra long assembly, and then cookies and extended form time. this kinda sucked because i missed english which i LOVE but also i missed three english lessons last week and desperately need revision help. i lied to my form tutor (sorry if you saw this lol go away) and said i needed to work on my dofe route card (which isnt a complete lie) and then went and hung out in lily and our friend who i'll call joan

then school ended, i took the coach home and listened to music, and now here i am. im revising latin currently, and then have maths tuition later and when i get home i'll shower and either do history or english lit.

type to you soon!
(maybe not so soon tomorrow im home late because of a debate competition and then friday and saturday ive got dofe and then an eid party on sunday or monday and then exams until 15th may )
(wish me luck/pray for me for dofe and exams)
we talked about peat and once again dead bodies (jealous, @Huzam001?)

UM EXTREMELY
how come none of my teachers ever did this :colonhash:
helloooo
i haven't written in quite a while but here's a quick update and then i'll talk about my day
- i didn't go on my geography field trip, i got crazy sick (fine now)
- im back at school
- my dofe expedition is on friday \:
- exams start from tuesday
- EID MUBARAK <3333333333

anyway. i cant remember anything else lol

so today i had geography first, which we spent doing revision. you probably don't care but i did rivers and started work on a past paper. as i have mentioned many times before, i rilly like geography. initially i was kinda worried about missing the fieldwork, but actually it was fine and im better off than everyone else (this one girl came back claiming she got possessed, everyone had random bruises, and they are ALL sick)

i had biology after, which was quite fun because my biology teacher is really funny although biology is my weakest subject, so i had a bit of trouble (I KNEW YOU WERE TROUBLE WHEN YOU WALKED INNNNN) but i pulled through. we talked about peat and once again dead bodies (jealous, @Huzam001?) and he kept claiming there were snakes loose on the school grounds.

then it was break....................................................i went to the library.....................................................................it was very boring frankly
OH! so yesterday (random off topic story) i was going to join this panel meeting for this magazine (im part of the panel bc i won a competition last year) and this was the last panel meeting of the year. and i left my chemistry lesson (already missed 2 this term bc i got sick) early which was a revision lesson only for me to get an email 15 minutes before saying it was cancelled. very annoyed lol.

rant over, back to school.

break was followed by physics, where i did a practical with allie and another girl (THE NEW SEATING PLAN IS GREAT) and i made jokes the whole time because i am hilarious (translation: too influenced by percy jackson)and my teacher told me that my team had won house engineering (girlbosses, really)

and then it kinda went downhill because i had maths, which was better than usual because it was just independent revision. feeling a bit less worried about maths at the moment (probably going to regret saying that). the lesson went by pretty quickly, and then at lunch i was totally free because rocket science club is done. lily and i recreated the eras tour for our friends who don't like taylor swift and two random year sevens.

today was founder's day, so we had an extra long assembly, and then cookies and extended form time. this kinda sucked because i missed english which i LOVE but also i missed three english lessons last week and desperately need revision help. i lied to my form tutor (sorry if you saw this lol go away) and said i needed to work on my dofe route card (which isnt a complete lie) and then went and hung out in lily and our friend who i'll call joan

then school ended, i took the coach home and listened to music, and now here i am. im revising latin currently, and then have maths tuition later and when i get home i'll shower and either do history or english lit.

type to you soon!
(maybe not so soon tomorrow im home late because of a debate competition and then friday and saturday ive got dofe and then an eid party on sunday or monday and then exams until 15th may )
(wish me luck/pray for me for dofe and exams)

Eid Mubarak! I love how you randomly included Taylor Swift's song in your post haha! And I am a Percy Jackson fan too:biggrin:. Gotta love Seaweed brain.
You ARE hilarious 😁
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 35
GUYS I SURVIVED MY DOFE AND I PASSED AND GOT 6 HRS OF SLEEP (but the toilets were horrific and i am traumatized for life)
update in bullet point form because i am too stressed for full sentences
- exams start tomorrow and i am SCREWED
- the debate got cancelled because the teacher had to teach the year sixes (who he calls the 'scum of the earth')
- the rest of my friends (lily, diana, joan) found out about this :// and now they want to find it

anyway, right now im crying lol because my maths exam is tomorrow and i dont know anything. half this content i covered in year 8, which is when i had my first seizure, which for some reason wiped out a good chunk of memories from that year so i can't remember anything from any of my subjects, which wouldn't be a problem except for maths. i should probably get off here and go try to study but im just too upset to the point where i've got like weird hallucinations in the corners of my vision. i want to go talk to my mum but she always just lectures me about my health and how i need to prioritise that because these exams don't matter in the long term but i just feel so terrible right now and im still not fully recovered from dofe and i feel like i might puke or something

im gonna go now, probably be back later.
ok so i know i said id be back later, but i never specified how much later... that's right ladies and gentlemen, i'm back!! im currently doing some revision because i have exactly 2 months until my first exam.

a lot has happened since i last typed. too much to think of right now because i really need to go study.

this is just to tell you that i have returned to tsr!!
daily diary type thing:
too busy with schoolwork to type up a full recount like i normally do, but just soooo tired from everything. ramadan mubarak!! today i actually had fun in pe for once lol we tried to hit our teacher with a volleyball

ok i have to go do french now bye
Hi, I got diagnosed with epilepsy recently. Any tips for studies? Im finding it quite hard to concentrate these days and I have exams ( my first GCSEs ) 26th onwards
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I got diagnosed with epilepsy recently. Any tips for studies? Im finding it quite hard to concentrate these days and I have exams ( my first GCSEs ) 26th onwards

Hello, sorry for the late reply. i've been dealing with some epilepsy stuff myself recently, so i haven’t been on tsr.
i was thinking last night about your question, and what i wish someone had told me when i was diagnosed, so here’s a bit of a breakdown. This is kind of just assuming you were really really recently diagnosed, so i’m just covering everything i can. You’ve probably already heard a lot of this. If you ever want more help just leave another post and im happy to help!!
Before we even begin talking about actual studying, you need to get yourself together.

I sound like a massive hypocrite saying this, but you need to start sleeping properly. i'm talking in and out of bed same time every day. Lie ins no longer than an hour. People talk about food and exercise but i feel like this is the most important (also, don’t drink or do drugs besides your meds. That’s really just plain stupid). Honestly, this point goes out to everyone, not just people with epilepsy

You want to take a look at your epilepsy too. What are your triggers, and how are you going to deal with them? If you’re like me and it’s stress, what is it stress about? How do you work on that stress? Do you need to do something, or stop doing something? For example, when i'm stressed about exams, sometimes i do a little bit of work to reassure myself that it’s going to be fine, or i’ll take a break and step away from it to get exams out of my head.

^sort of related to that, it might be a good time to think about your grades. I don’t know how recent recent is, but you need to be aware that you know what, your grades might not be perfect, and that’s okay. You’re doing the exact same exams as everyone else with a really difficult neurological condition and on medication, so you need to be prepared that things might not go how you planned. that might also be worth talking to your parents about (that being said, don’t put yourself down. you can still do amazingly with epilepsy. What i am saying is don’t beat yourself up)

get! your! meds! sorted! You either have a weekish or a month and a bit until your exams start, so this is your last chance to tweak whatever needs it. If you’re not yet seizure free this should be your priority. Your grades don’t mean jack if you’re still having seizures. Talk to your parents, your doctors, hopefully the nhs has given you an epilepsy nurse but it’s quite difficult so maybe not, but seriously. Fix it. Also, work on your side effects. What are they, and what are you doing for them? For me, i find that my meds make me super tired and feel like percy jackson in the son of neptune (like, i went to breaktime the other day when it was lessons. I forgot the birlings’ surname...lol not good). I’m taking these vitamins and working with my doctor to do this other stuff with my meds, and adapting myself to account for these little lapses (thank god we get the physics formula sheet)

If you haven’t already, TALK TO YOUR SCHOOL! I mean it, once you finish reading this, go get your parents to contact the school who will contact the exam people to get you access arrangements, and start working on a care plan. Because you have epilepsy, you are entitled to extra time and rest breaks. Trust me, you will thank me. (if anyone asks you why you have extra time, you don’t have to tell them. You don’t owe them anything. If they say they're jealous and wish they had extra time, say something mean back lol)

Okay, now we can talk about studying.

Hopefully you have your study methods worked out by this point. It would be pretty worrying if you didn’t at this stage.

When you say you’re having difficulty concentrating, is it that your methods are fine but not for as long time periods as they used to, or that your methods were really reliant on you being able to concentrate?

I’ve been having trouble with the former, so here’s what i do:

If i can, change where im studying. If im at home doing revision but not under exam conditions, i move from my desk to the floor

Switch up topics. Don’t randomly bounce from subject to subject, but if you’re doing a question, either move on to a different question and come back later, or change what you’re doing within that question (e.g. pause your essay writing and look at the extract. Bullet point plan your essay if you haven’t. Have another look at what’s coming next. But for essays you shouldn’t leave early)

Take breakssssss. I mean it. Using the app flora is great for me because one) keeps me off my phone two) easy scheduling, and three) i love plants. In these breaks get away from your study stuff. Preferably out of the room. I recommend 40-45 minute slots because your brain gets saturated or whatever. You can take rest breaks in exams, too, just make sure to tell your school!!!!

On days where i really really can’t concentrate i like to make my revision silly. Nothing is as fun as organic chemistry as vines or making a playlist called macbeth (taylor’s version). Once you’ve done this it’ll be easier to focus, i promise.

When all else fails i’ve found that mentally yelling focus focus focus focus focus focus focus focus OK SHUT UP IM TRYING TO FOCUS and imagining the voices in my head with different voices weirdly effective. (also super helpful during exams when im panicking. We have obnoxious southern man, kindly scottish old lady, regular me, pessimist me, grown up me telling pessimist me what to do…)

If you’re having trouble with the later, here are some ideas:

If you dont want to change the method, just start introducing breaks or doing things in smaller chunks

Is there any way you can adapt the method to work better? For example, i know past papers take a lot of concentration, and they’re vital right now, the best thing i can think of is to take breaks

Honestly, with concentration the best thing i can think of is to take breaks. At my school im allowed to do this in class too, so that might be worth looking in to.

Last but not least, late night studying/late night cram sessions are not your friend. This goes for everyone, but particularly if you have epilepsy, staying up late increases your chances of having a seizure, and with meds n stuff you’re better off studying over a long time because chances are you will (or at least i will) forget stuff. It’s not effective or healthy

If you’re thinking ‘no im different’, maybe you are, but you don’t know that. Let me present a scenario to you. You walk into your final exam, bleary eyed and groggy having stayed up till 3am studying, and then you have a seizure in front of everyone. Having a seizure at school is seriously embarrassing. At school, in an exam? Man, I don’t even want to think about that.

Anyway, that’s all i can think of. Welcome to the epilepsy club lol. im here if you want anymore tips.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending