The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Combined Science Paper 2 Higher Tier (8464/C/2H) -13th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by no one cares
for the equilibrium one it told us that it was an exothermic reaction so the forward part is exothermic and backwards is endothermic, so the answer was it moves to the left because the reaction GAINED heat.

It never specified that forward reaction was exothermic in the exam and it really put me off, idk what to believe yet. Does it always shift to the left if a reaction is exothermic and is an increase in temperature?
I mean it's only 1 mark but 1 mark could be the difference between a grade boundary so yeah.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Ahmad06
Sorry to break it to you, but... it wasn't spelled as magnesium. I thought so as well before I re-read it. That was a real eye-boggler!

seriously?? but Mongolian oxide isn't even a thing?
Can someone tell me how many marks I would get for the 6 marker on chromatography:
1) Get your filter paper and draw a line near the bottom of the paper using a pencil (pencil marks are insoluble)
2) get your dyes and place them onto the filter paper making sure to leave space between them.
3) get a beaker with solvent.
4) place your filter paper in the solvent. Add a lid on top of the beaker to stop the solvent evaporation.
5) the dyes will move up the paper at different rate.
6) remove the lid and remove the filter paper.
If there are multiple dyes then the colour is a mixture.
Original post by propergoodman
i got 0.326

I got 0.350
Reply 84
Original post by imfailingguys
I just want to know how everyone got 0.3 something for the last question because i got 1.50? Were u not meant to only calculate the gradient using the tangent? SOMEONE HELP IM SO LOST.

i got 0.313 (some people did to) i literally just drew a tangent at 20seconds and my change in y was 16 and change in x was like 51 and i did 16/51
i drew a small tangent like 10 squares long - 5 going down from 20seconds and 5 going up from 20 seconds
Reply 85
Original post by suzy23
Can someone tell me how many marks I would get for the 6 marker on chromatography:
1) Get your filter paper and draw a line near the bottom of the paper using a pencil (pencil marks are insoluble)
2) get your dyes and place them onto the filter paper making sure to leave space between them.
3) get a beaker with solvent.
4) place your filter paper in the solvent. Add a lid on top of the beaker to stop the solvent evaporation.
5) the dyes will move up the paper at different rate.
6) remove the lid and remove the filter paper.
If there are multiple dyes then the colour is a mixture.

Prob around 4 because you forgot to include the Rf database:
"You would then use the Rf value of each individual pure colour to find the colour's name in the Rf database"
Reply 86
Original post by M4teri4IGworI

I forgot the name brother, but I copied it letter to letter when I re-read it and it wasn't magnesium, that's for sure.
Reply 87
Original post by RL Greninja
My bad, I was on the wrong area. I do Triple instead of Combined, sorry.

Phew, I thought I missed a question there
Reply 88
Original post by M4teri4IGworI

Ah yes I remembered the name, it was manganese oxide
Original post by Ahmad06
Ah yes I remembered the name, it was manganese oxide

okiee that makes sense now :smile: also I am a girl lol
Reply 90
Original post by williamdouglas
did everyone get 0.313 for the last question?
0.9 for the Rf value?
0.31 for the question asking for X?

i think i did but after my exams my answers just disappeared out my memory
Original post by da1708
It never specified that forward reaction was exothermic in the exam and it really put me off, idk what to believe yet. Does it always shift to the left if a reaction is exothermic and is an increase in temperature?
I mean it's only 1 mark but 1 mark could be the difference between a grade boundary so yeah.

it did specify that it was an exothermic reaction, and no the equilibrium doesn't always shift to the left if its exothermic, it depends on if the reaction gained or lost heat, in our exam it said heat was gained, so the equilibrium had to be on the left because gaining heat is endothermic which was the backwards reaction in our case (backwards meaning going towards the left). if it said it was LOSING heat, the equilibrium must have shifted to the right because losing heat is exothermic. sorry if this confused you at all.
Reply 92
Original post by no one cares
it did specify that it was an exothermic reaction, and no the equilibrium doesn't always shift to the left if its exothermic, it depends on if the reaction gained or lost heat, in our exam it said heat was gained, so the equilibrium had to be on the left because gaining heat is endothermic which was the backwards reaction in our case (backwards meaning going towards the left). if it said it was LOSING heat, the equilibrium must have shifted to the right because losing heat is exothermic. sorry if this confused you at all.

Ohh that's no worries. I mean yeah it did specify reaction was exothermic but it was unfortunate that it didn't say that the forward/reverse reaction was exothermic or not. Thanks for this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending