The Student Room Group

What is the difference between simple molecular and simple covalent substances?

What is the difference between simple molecular and simple covalent substances? are they basically the same thing in A level so is the science to explain their melting andboiling points the same?
Original post by Rohan007best
What is the difference between simple molecular and simple covalent substances? are they basically the same thing in A level so is the science to explain their melting andboiling points the same?

Essentially yes. I think it's because covalent molecules have low boiling/melting points due to their weak intermolecular forces which is where the 'simple molecular' term comes from.

Gonna annoy a chem genius for this because I'm not 100% sure I'm right. @TypicalNerd
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
I think the official term is 'simple covalent molecules', and I remember hearing that you could be marked down for just putting 'simple molecular'.
Reply 3
Original post by JA03
Essentially yes. I think it's because covalent molecules have low boiling/melting points due to their weak intermolecular forces which is where the 'simple molecular' term comes from.

Gonna annoy a chem genius for this because I'm not 100% sure I'm right. @TypicalNerd

so is a simple covalent molecule the same thing as a simple covalent compound?
Unsurprisingly, @JA03 is 100% correct about the explanation of the melting/boiling points.

The term ‘simple molecular’ comes from the fact that the molecules are typically only a few atoms in size, so not very complex.

I’d imagine both terms, being interchangeable, are acceptable at A level. However, I would say that it is safer to do as @George H.’s post suggests and only refer to them as ‘simple covalent molecules’ in an exam situation.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by TypicalNerd
Unsurprisingly, @JA03 is 100% correct.

I’d imagine both terms, being interchangeable, are acceptable at A level. However, I would say that it is safer to do as @George H.’s post suggests and only refer to them as ‘simple covalent molecules’ in an exam situation.

Original post by Rohan007best

Yes

Quick Reply

Latest