The Student Room Group

Biology As what do 1-4 refer in a glycosidic bond thanks

Scroll to see replies

the carbon in which the covalent bond is formed (they assign numbers to different carbons in organic chemistry) so each consecutive glucose carbon ring is covalently bonded at carbon number 1 and carbon number 4
Reply 2
Original post by BlueIsTheNewRed
the carbon in which the covalent bond is formed (they assign numbers to different carbons in organic chemistry) so each consecutive glucose carbon ring is covalently bonded at carbon number 1 and carbon number 4

could you give an example thanks
just a quick google image search
the bond forms between the first carbon on one monosaccharide to the 4th carbon on the other monosaccharide, i think :smile: correct me if im wrong tho :h:
Original post by zak7399

Monosaccharides are in a hexagon like shape, at each point on the hexagon (accept for the top right) is a carbon atom which are numbered from 1 to 5. As you go clock wise around the hexagon the carbon's number increases (with carbon number 1 being on the outer right point) so for example carbon number 4 is on the outer left point of the hexagon. So the 1-4 bond is referring to the fact that the 1st carbon on 1 molecule is linked to the 4th carbon on another molecule.
Hope this makes some sense! :smile:
Reply 6
just a quick google image search

ok thanks :smile:
sorry to be annoying but where do these numbers come from and how do you if its 1-4 or 1-6?
Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by CoolCavy
the bond forms between the first carbon on one monosaccharide to the 4th carbon on the other monosaccharide, i think :smile: correct me if im wrong tho :h:

ok thanks:smile:
Original post by zak7399
ok thanks:smile:

no problem :h:
Original post by zak7399
sorry to be annoying but where do these numbers come from and how do you if its 1-4 or 1-6?
Thanks

I think it is just a general rule, all the ones i have encountered so far have been bonded from carbon 1 to carbon 4 :smile:
Original post by zak7399
Thanks

yeah as the other person suggested, this is just the way chemists name stuff under IUPAC system. and i havent seen any other that is 1-6 either
Reply 11
Original post by CoolCavy
I think it is just a general rule, all the ones i have encountered so far have been bonded from carbon 1 to carbon 4 :smile:

oh ok thanks what do you mean by carbon 1 to 4
Reply 12
yeah as the other person suggested, this is just the way chemists name stuff under IUPAC system. and i havent seen any other that is 1-6 either

Oh ok thanks:smile:
its just my homework ask which of the following have 1-4 or a 1-6 glycosidic bond:
amylose, amylopectin , glycogen and cellulose
Original post by zak7399
oh ok thanks what do you mean by carbon 1 to 4

The link is between Carbon 1 on the first molecule and Carbon 4 on the second molecule.
Original post by zak7399
Oh ok thanks:smile:
its just my homework ask which of the following have 1-4 or a 1-6 glycosidic bond:
amylose, amylopectin , glycogen and cellulose

totally forgot about amylopectin LOL vaguely remember branched carbohydrate will have 1-6 bonds but you better double check

1-6 would be for cellulose am I right? Because the monosaccharide would be inverted to make sure the chain as straight as it can be.
Original post by jamestg
1-6 would be for cellulose am I right? Because the monosaccharide would be inverted to make sure the chain as straight as it can be.

i think its still 1-4 since its beta glucose in cellulose which means an OH group is inverted already
Reply 17
totally forgot about amylopectin LOL vaguely remember branched carbohydrate will have 1-6 bonds but you better double check

yeah amylopectin has 1-6
thanks so much for your help you have been brilliant :smile:
is there an easy way to figure out if it is either 1-4 or 1-6 or is it just a general rule thanks:smile:
Original post by zak7399
yeah amylopectin has 1-6
thanks so much for your help you have been brilliant :smile:
is there an easy way to figure out if it is either 1-4 or 1-6 or is it just a general rule thanks:smile:

i think its 1-6 for branched structures and 1-4 for straight chains, but you'll wanna double check that too... kinda rusty on bio after the summer:colondollar:
Reply 19
i think its 1-6 for branched structures and 1-4 for straight chains, but you'll wanna double check that too... kinda rusty on bio after the summer:colondollar:

ok no worries I will double check but i think your right anyway

Quick Reply

Latest