The Student Room Group

Percentage by mass

A solid mixture contains sodium chloride and sodium nitrate. A 0.58g sample of the mixture was dissolved in water and made up to 250cm3
A 25cm3 portion was tut rated against silver nitrate solution of concentration 0.018 moldm3
The volume required was 27.3cm3
Calculate the percentage by mass of sodium chloride in the mixture

I got an answer of 4.97%
Please may you say if it is right or wrong.
If it is wrong, I’ll attach my workings out.
Thank you!!
bump
Original post by ilovechemistry69
A solid mixture contains sodium chloride and sodium nitrate. A 0.58g sample of the mixture was dissolved in water and made up to 250cm3
A 25cm3 portion was tut rated against silver nitrate solution of concentration 0.018 moldm3

I got an answer of 4.97%
Thank you!!

correct
Hi @ilovechemistry69,

Thank you for posting in the Chemistry Forum!

I've updated the title of your thread to 'percentage by mass' and added an A-Level label for better clarity. While you did receive responses, it's advisable to be more specific in your query to receive a quicker response.

5hyl33n
Original post by ilovechemistry69

I got an answer of 4.97%
Thank you!!

I don’t agree with the final answer and I rather suspect it’s purely because you haven’t factored in that only 1/10 of the solution was used in the titration.
Original post by TypicalNerd
I don’t agree with the final answer and I rather suspect it’s purely because you haven’t factored in that only 1/10 of the solution was used in the titration.

woops, you're quite correct - I also did not factor in the dilution!

Maybe it's time to retire ...

Quick Reply

Latest