The Student Room Group

help with workings pls

Alstonite is a rare salt with the formula, BaCa(CO3)2. It reacts with hydrochloric acid.
_Data: molar mass of alstonite = 297.4 g mol
= 6.02 × 10^23 mol'
(a) The percentage by mass of oxygen in al stonite is
A) 16.1%
B) 26.9%.
C) 32.3%
D) 34.3%
(b) What is the total number of ions in one mole of alstonite?
A) 6.02 x 10^24
B) 1.20 x 10^24
C) 1.81 x10^24
D) 2.41 x 10^24
(c) What is the number of moles of hydrochloric acid required for complete reaction
with one mole of alstonite?
A one
B two
C three
D four
Original post by zunainahaque
Alstonite is a rare salt with the formula, BaCa(CO3)2. It reacts with hydrochloric acid.
_Data: molar mass of alstonite = 297.4 g mol
= 6.02 × 10^23 mol'
(a) The percentage by mass of oxygen in al stonite is
A) 16.1%
B) 26.9%.
C) 32.3%
D) 34.3%
(b) What is the total number of ions in one mole of alstonite?
A) 6.02 x 10^24
B) 1.20 x 10^24
C) 1.81 x10^24
D) 2.41 x 10^24
(c) What is the number of moles of hydrochloric acid required for complete reaction
with one mole of alstonite?
A one
B two
C three
D four

What are you thinking so far?

Spoiler

Original post by bl0bf1sh
What are you thinking so far?

Spoiler

lmao ik it isnt a homework service but i’ve figured people can come in here to ask academic questions they don’t know the answers of? if you don’t wish to answer, just don’t!
Original post by zunainahaque
lmao ik it isnt a homework service but i’ve figured people can come in here to ask academic questions they don’t know the answers of? if you don’t wish to answer, just don’t!

I'm not going to straight up tell you the answer, as you wouldn't learn very much from it, but here are a few hints as to how you could go about things see how you get on and ask again if you're stuck :smile:

BaCa(CO3)2; Mr = 297.4 g mol^-1
Avogadro constant = 6.02 × 10^23 mol^-1

(a) Percentage by mass of oxygen
To work this out, you'll need to use the Mr of alstonite, and the Ar of oxygen (find it on a periodic table). Work out how many oxygen atoms are in 1 unit of alstonite, the relative mass of all these oxygens, and then do a percentage calculation to find the % by mass.

(b) Total number of ions in one mole of alstonite
You know the compound is a salt (i.e. ionic), and by looking at the formula you can work out how many ions are in one unit of alstonite. From the Avogadro constant, you know that there are 6.02 × 10^23 "particles" in one mole of substance, i.e. one mole of alstonite has 6.02 × 10^23 BaCa(CO3)2 units. A bit of adding and multiplying and you can work out how many ions are in one mole of the salt.

(c) Moles of HCl to react with one mole of alstonite
First of all, what is the reaction between HCl and BaCa(CO3)2?

Spoiler

Once you know what is happening, write an equation for the reaction, and balance it (hint: keep the "big number" in front of the BaCa(CO3)2 as 1). Then just read off your equation to find the moles of HCl reacting with BaCa(CO3)2.
Reply 4
Original post by bl0bf1sh
I'm not going to straight up tell you the answer, as you wouldn't learn very much from it, but here are a few hints as to how you could go about things see how you get on and ask again if you're stuck :smile:
BaCa(CO3)2; Mr = 297.4 g mol^-1
Avogadro constant = 6.02 × 10^23 mol^-1
(a) Percentage by mass of oxygen
To work this out, you'll need to use the Mr of alstonite, and the Ar of oxygen (find it on a periodic table). Work out how many oxygen atoms are in 1 unit of alstonite, the relative mass of all these oxygens, and then do a percentage calculation to find the % by mass.
(b) Total number of ions in one mole of alstonite
You know the compound is a salt (i.e. ionic), and by looking at the formula you can work out how many ions are in one unit of alstonite. From the Avogadro constant, you know that there are 6.02 × 10^23 "particles" in one mole of substance, i.e. one mole of alstonite has 6.02 × 10^23 BaCa(CO3)2 units. A bit of adding and multiplying and you can work out how many ions are in one mole of the salt.
(c) Moles of HCl to react with one mole of alstonite
First of all, what is the reaction between HCl and BaCa(CO3)2?

Spoiler

Once you know what is happening, write an equation for the reaction, and balance it (hint: keep the "big number" in front of the BaCa(CO3)2 as 1). Then just read off your equation to find the moles of HCl reacting with BaCa(CO3)2.

sup dude but in the last one how does one balance the equation i know the full steps but the difficulty is balancing the equation
Original post by Sagemech
sup dude but in the last one how does one balance the equation i know the full steps but the difficulty is balancing the equation

In the HCl + BaCa(CO3)2 reaction?
See the links I posted about reactions between acids and carbonates the products will be salt (ionic-y type compound) + CO2 + water.
Can you write an unbalanced equation? And then adjust the molar ratios (the "big numbers" in front of each compound) until the numbers of each type of atom are equal on both sides of the arrow.

To actually work out the answer for part (c) you can probably skip a few steps, but it's worth balancing the equation for the practice! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest