The Student Room Group

computer science or IT or cyber security or accounting/finance

hey guys need help with choosing a degree can someone please elaborate on which is the best in terms of financial security/progessment/prospects
Original post by siahateskwl
hey guys need help with choosing a degree can someone please elaborate on which is the best in terms of financial security/progessment/prospects

I'm a little annoyed about these questions.

The reasons I have for this are:

The financial security, progress, and prospects of a job would depend on the employer and industry, and that changes all the time e.g. there has recently been a huge layoff of programmers in tech, which was unexpected (from what I can tell); layoffs in finance and accounting happen all the time

High pay and job security is an oxymoron in my opinion - if the firm is paying you a lot of money, why would you think you're not the first candidate that the firm will be laying off when things go south? Also, if the salaries are high, what makes you think there won't be any competition for the role?

You can't measure progress or prospects, and there's not likely a vacuum for graduates to fill and move up quickly in any industry. Promotional prospects in the UK depend more on experience than qualifications (not sure about other countries), and having knowledge would not suffice. Employers would likely hire more on relevant experience than qualifications, as far as I know. If you don't have adequate experience, your employment prospects (let alone promotional prospects) would be severely limited.

Your degree doesn't guarantee you a job - it's an outdated notion and it was never the case to begin with

You don't necessarily go into roles that you have studied for

Often the case your degree doesn't limit you to just one type of job, role, or industry

No one can say what the future will be; anyone who claims that they are able to tend to hold crystal balls and wear aluminium foil hats

If you're not doing a job or career that you love, your career is likely going to be very short lived or you would experience a very high toll on your mental health

The scope of your situation can be summarised as the following:

You don't need a degree to go into any of the industries that you have mentioned above (CS is borderline depending on the employer)

[*]You can technically go into any area of IT with little to no qualifications, but a degree in CS would cover everything in IT and cybersecurity

You need professional accounting or finance qualifications (specific to the role, not a degree) to work in accounting and finance

Accounting and finance qualifications usually ask for A Levels in any subjects, not degrees. The only possible exception is the CFA which can ask for a degree in any random subject (it's American)

A degree in accounting and finance would usually only give you exemptions towards professional accounting qualifications

Most roles in IT tend to meritocratic, whereas roles in finance and accoutning tend not to be (correct me if I am wrong)

There are professional IT certificates that would be helpful to get roles in IT, but most employers are looking for proficiency and relevant skills (usually through experience)

If you really want to get both degrees for any random reason (which are beyond me), you can do a master's in computer science or accounting and finance with an undergrad in pretty much any subject i.e. you can do an undergrad in computer science/accounting and finance, then do a master's in the other subject

The more competitive UK undergrad degrees in either computer science or accounting and finance tend to require A Level Maths (or equivalent if you're international or do alternative UK qualifications)

[*]
Cybersecurity is currently the hottest trend in tech, but it's not necessarily permanent (I don't predict futures).
Accounting and finance is accounting and finance. It's incredibly cutthroat and you often need to be really passionate about the job.

Personal recommendation would be to just try to get a job in the industry of your choice right after A Levels. However, if you really want to do a degree irrespective, I would recommend the CS degree. Should you want to go into accounting and finance later, you can do the appropriate professional qualification later (unless you want to go into academia, then do the master's degree).
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
I'm a little annoyed about these questions.

The reasons I have for this are:

The financial security, progress, and prospects of a job would depend on the employer and industry, and that changes all the time e.g. there has recently been a huge layoff of programmers in tech, which was unexpected (from what I can tell); layoffs in finance and accounting happen all the time

High pay and job security is an oxymoron in my opinion - if the firm is paying you a lot of money, why would you think you're not the first candidate that the firm will be laying off when things go south? Also, if the salaries are high, what makes you think there won't be any competition for the role?

You can't measure progress or prospects, and there's not likely a vacuum for graduates to fill and move up quickly in any industry. Promotional prospects in the UK depend more on experience than qualifications (not sure about other countries), and having knowledge would not suffice. Employers would likely hire more on relevant experience than qualifications, as far as I know. If you don't have adequate experience, your employment prospects (let alone promotional prospects) would be severely limited.

Your degree doesn't guarantee you a job - it's an outdated notion and it was never the case to begin with

You don't necessarily go into roles that you have studied for

Often the case your degree doesn't limit you to just one type of job, role, or industry

No one can say what the future will be; anyone who claims that they are able to tend to hold crystal balls and wear aluminium foil hats

If you're not doing a job or career that you love, your career is likely going to be very short lived or you would experience a very high toll on your mental health

The scope of your situation can be summarised as the following:

You don't need a degree to go into any of the industries that you have mentioned above (CS is borderline depending on the employer)

[*]You can technically go into any area of IT with little to no qualifications, but a degree in CS would cover everything in IT and cybersecurity

You need professional accounting or finance qualifications (specific to the role, not a degree) to work in accounting and finance

Accounting and finance qualifications usually ask for A Levels in any subjects, not degrees. The only possible exception is the CFA which can ask for a degree in any random subject (it's American)

A degree in accounting and finance would usually only give you exemptions towards professional accounting qualifications

Most roles in IT tend to meritocratic, whereas roles in finance and accoutning tend not to be (correct me if I am wrong)

There are professional IT certificates that would be helpful to get roles in IT, but most employers are looking for proficiency and relevant skills (usually through experience)

If you really want to get both degrees for any random reason (which are beyond me), you can do a master's in computer science or accounting and finance with an undergrad in pretty much any subject i.e. you can do an undergrad in computer science/accounting and finance, then do a master's in the other subject

The more competitive UK undergrad degrees in either computer science or accounting and finance tend to require A Level Maths (or equivalent if you're international or do alternative UK qualifications)

[*]
Cybersecurity is currently the hottest trend in tech, but it's not necessarily permanent (I don't predict futures).
Accounting and finance is accounting and finance. It's incredibly cutthroat and you often need to be really passionate about the job.

Personal recommendation would be to just try to get a job in the industry of your choice right after A Levels. However, if you really want to do a degree irrespective, I would recommend the CS degree. Should you want to go into accounting and finance later, you can do the appropriate professional qualification later (unless you want to go into academia, then do the master's degree).

[*]thank you so much for your reply im sorry if my question annoyed you I didn't mean to sound like that its just that im the first person in my fam to go uni and I want a career which can help me support my parents because im an only child, thank you for all the info you have given its very helpful, have a nice day 💓
[*]thank you so much for your reply im sorry if my question annoyed you I didn't mean to sound like that its just that im the first person in my fam to go uni and I want a career which can help me support my parents because im an only child, thank you for all the info you have given its very helpful, have a nice day 💓

[*]Then I strongly recommend that you network extensively for job opportunities. This would help you find jobs a lot more than just having qualifications.

Just to clarify, are you based in the UK? If so, the above should apply to your case. If not, then it might partially apply at best.
Reply 4
[*]Then I strongly recommend that you network extensively for job opportunities. This would help you find jobs a lot more than just having qualifications.

Just to clarify, are you based in the UK? If so, the above should apply to your case. If not, then it might partially apply at best.

[*]yes I live in the UK I finished my a levels with a ABB last month

[*]
Congrats.

Then I wish you luck.
Reply 6

How good are you?
Reply 7

[*]
So why haven't you managed to pick a degree yet...?
Reply 8
Original post by Quady
[*]
So why haven't you managed to pick a degree yet...?

[*]I did pick biomedical science but to be honest I didn’t really research degrees when applying because I was more stressed about mocks and getting through exams and when I did pass I realised I don’t want to do it and waste 9k to drop out I rather do something I like, always liked computer science since secondary even though I didn’t do at a level so I talked with parents and friends and they told me to do a gap year and research all the opportunities I have
Reply 9

I initially chose to pursue biomedical science, though truthfully, I didn't conduct extensive research on various degrees when I applied. At the time, I was primarily focused on preparing for mock exams and navigating through the challenges of the application process. It was only after successfully passing that I came to the realization that this path wasn't the right fit for me. I didn't want to invest in a course only to find out it wasn't my passion. Computer science, on the other hand, has always intrigued me since my secondary education, even though I didn't pursue it at the A-levels. After discussing with both my parents and friends, they advised me to consider taking a gap year to thoroughly explore the range of opportunities available to me.
Reply 10
Original post by johney12
I initially chose to pursue biomedical science, though truthfully, I didn't conduct extensive research on various degrees when I applied. At the time, I was primarily focused on preparing for mock exams and navigating through the challenges of the application process. It was only after successfully passing that I came to the realization that this path wasn't the right fit for me. I didn't want to invest in a course only to find out it wasn't my passion. Computer science, on the other hand, has always intrigued me since my secondary education, even though I didn't pursue it at the A-levels. After discussing with both my parents and friends, they advised me to consider taking a gap year to thoroughly explore the range of opportunities available to me.

Why the new account?
Original post by johney12

Just to be clear, do you have A Level Maths?
Whilst it's not necessary to do a degree to get into accounting, finance, or tech, if you want to be eligible for the full range of degrees in these disciplines (for whatever reason), you would ideally have A Level Maths. If you don't, consider doing it during your gap year.
Reply 12
Just to be clear, do you have A Level Maths?
Whilst it's not necessary to do a degree to get into accounting, finance, or tech, if you want to be eligible for the full range of degrees in these disciplines (for whatever reason), you would ideally have A Level Maths. If you don't, consider doing it during your gap year.

nope I dont have a level maths and the unis I want to apply to dont require it, I have spoken to some students doing the course and they have said if you put in the work its doable
Reply 13
nope I dont have a level maths and the unis I want to apply to dont require it, I have spoken to some students doing the course and they have said if you put in the work its doable

Which are these universities?
Reply 14
Original post by Quady
Which are these universities?

Aston and university of lecister
Reply 15
Original post by mindmax2000
[*]
congrats.

Then i wish you luck.

best of luck dear

Quick Reply