The Student Room Group

PAT 2023 / for 2024 entry forum

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Impossiblecraft
Which question number was the sinx cosx cubic?
How many marks was it?

I believe it was 4 marks
Original post by rycl1234
I believe it was 4 marks

That's good to hear. I accidentally skipped it after getting to the cubic
Reply 42
Original post by Impossiblecraft

That's good to hear. I accidentally skipped it after getting to the cubic

Yeah you had to spot that sinx = 1 was a solution via factor theorem and then factorise I think. Only 4 marks tho so all good
The optics question was asking for the distance the light ray travels through the glass right?
Did everyone get an email from Oxford apologising for the fiasco with entrance exams? If so, do you think Oxford will do a retest for the PAT as they did with MAT or even just disregard the PAT completely?
Did any of you guys end up doing the test online or did everyone do it on paper?
Because if anyone did it online, we can all complain about the fact that it wasn’t a fair test for all, then have a retest…
Reply 45
Original post by chinnu30306
Did everyone get an email from Oxford apologising for the fiasco with entrance exams? If so, do you think Oxford will do a retest for the PAT as they did with MAT or even just disregard the PAT completely?
Did any of you guys end up doing the test online or did everyone do it on paper?
Because if anyone did it online, we can all complain about the fact that it wasn’t a fair test for all, then have a retest…

There weren’t any digital issues for the Pat from my knowledge and a lot of people successfully took it on paper. So in my opinion I think it’s quite unlikely that any action will be taken with the PAT
There weren’t any digital issues for the Pat from my knowledge and a lot of people successfully took it on paper. So in my opinion I think it’s quite unlikely that any action will be taken with the PAT

Ah
Ah yes, forgot about that one, anyone know how many marks the Jean length or Carrot one was?

I didn't see questions about Jean length or carrots - did you sit the hybrid test or something? I had the physical paper and I'm pretty sure both the question and answer booklet didn't have anything about either of those two questions? It's also possible that I either missed them or my testing centre didn't print them off properly but I wouldn't think that's the case
Original post by Hudsonhhhh
Who knows what score of pat I need to get if I want to be shortlisted (I am applying for material science)

Maybe worth looking at the department’s website for general information on this. Oxford Physics, for example, publish a post-admissions round report each year on their website. It gives details of information such as how many candidates (home and international no’s) compared to previous years, and a graph showing number of candidates against Pat score by outcome. Just keep in mind that they consider all the information they have on each candidate when shortlisting for interview, so keep the faith no matter how you felt it went!

My daughter, 3rd year Physics, doesn’t know what she scored in her Pat and has never asked. She was very surprised to get an interview. Her email was received at 9:58pm on 2nd December for first interviews on 7th at the college she applied to, and gained a place in a different college.

https://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/system/files/file_attachments/AdmissionsReportDec2022.pdf
Original post by Crafty Mum
Maybe worth looking at the department’s website for general information on this. Oxford Physics, for example, publish a post-admissions round report each year on their website. It gives details of information such as how many candidates (home and international no’s) compared to previous years, and a graph showing number of candidates against Pat score by outcome. Just keep in mind that they consider all the information they have on each candidate when shortlisting for interview, so keep the faith no matter how you felt it went!

My daughter, 3rd year Physics, doesn’t know what she scored in her Pat and has never asked. She was very surprised to get an interview. Her email was received at 9:58pm on 2nd December for first interviews on 7th at the college she applied to, and gained a place in a different college.

https://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/system/files/file_attachments/AdmissionsReportDec2022.pdf

Thank you so much for sharing this! It really has made me feel a little better about how I felt the PAT went… I’ve started preparing for interviews and hopefully I do get one in the end!
Thank you so much for sharing this! It really has made me feel a little better about how I felt the PAT went… I’ve started preparing for interviews and hopefully I do get one in the end!

You are very welcome @chinnu30306, and fingers crossed you get an interview.

There are a few people on the Oxford 2024 applicants thread wondering how others felt the PAT went, so if relevant to your application then you could hop on there and join the conversation.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7369093&page=50
They are very supportive, applicants, current Oxfordians, and a few of us parents too.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Hudsonhhhh
Who knows what score of pat I need to get if I want to be shortlisted (I am applying for material science)

Me to! Did you hear anything from them yet? What college are you applying to?
Original post by lizymccallister
Me to! Did you hear anything from them yet? What college are you applying to?

nothing yet! wbu
Reply 53
I haven't heard anything yet either (applied to Lincoln)
Reply 54
Applied to queens and nothing yet. Can we all say on this forum as soon as we know to help others?
Original post by C4Th0
I haven't heard anything yet either (applied to Lincoln)

same, applied to worcester
same, applied to worcester

Applied worcester for engineering. Nothing yet
Applied to queens and nothing yet. Can we all say on this forum as soon as we know to help others?

Yes pls
Reply 58
Engineering is sending interview invitations now. I believe all PAT papers have been scored yet. Hope all you guys get shortlisted
Original post by UniqueYou
Engineering is sending interview invitations now. I believe all PAT papers have been scored yet. Hope all you guys get shortlisted

thank you and you too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending