The Student Room Group

A level chemistry high charge density ionic bonding small ions

The idea of high charge density with the small ions being more stronger due to the close interactions of electrostatic forces but the larger ions having a weaker force in comparison confuses me could anyone explain maybe in visual terms how this is possible as I thought the larger ion having bigger charges, and what I would think larger electrostatic force interactions is wrong
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Blue3542
The idea of high charge density with the small ions being more stronger due to the close interactions of electrostatic forces but the larger ions having a weaker force in comparison confuses me could anyone explain maybe in visual terms how this is possible as I thought the larger ion having bigger charges, and what I would think larger electrostatic force interactions is wrong
Think of the electrical charge like energy (it's not, but that does not matter).

If you have an amount of energy in a small volume, such as a spark it is very hot, but if you spread that energy out into a bathtub full of water it causes a negligible difference to the temperature.

When electrical charge is concentrated into a smaller volume it becomes more intense. This is the concept of charge density.

In chemistry spreading something out over a larger volume reduces its intensity and stabilizes the system.
Reply 2
Original post by charco
Think of the electrical charge like energy (it's not, but that does not matter).

If you have an amount of energy in a small volume, such as a spark it is very hot, but if you spread that energy out into a bathtub full of water it causes a negligible difference to the temperature.

When electrical charge is concentrated into a smaller volume it becomes more intense. This is the concept of charge density.

In chemistry spreading something out over a larger volume reduces its intensity and stabilizes the system.
Wow, thank you so much this was so clear to understand

Quick Reply

Latest