The Student Room Group

how to work out percentage yield

How to u find out the % yield of an product from a reaction
Yeild = Begining/100 * ending
Reply 2
unkownone
How to u find out the % yield of an product from a reaction

It would of been probably easier to just put all your questions in the same thread instead of making new one's all the time :tongue:

And yes as stated above:

(Actual Yield/Theoretical Yield) x 100

For even more clarity if you need it:

2Mg + O2 -> 2MgO

If you used 2g of Mg then you work out the number of moles for this = 2/24 = 0.08 moles

You know its a 1:1 ratio of magnesium to magnesium oxide so you can work out how much you *should* get if you had a 100% yield.

0.08 moles x 40 (molar mass of magnesium oxide) = 3.2g - this is your theoretical yield.

But you only got 2.2g of it after weighing its mass.

So percentage yield would =

(2.2g/3.2g) x 100 = 69% Yield :smile:
Reply 3
but wouldn't the molar mass in this case be 80, since there is two lots of magnesium oxide for the products? :s-smilie:
Reply 4
and also, how do you work the theoretical yield when the ratio is not 1:1?
Reply 5
I guess i'm a bit late, but RBR, in answer to your first question there are double the amount of atoms for each part, i.e Mg+O = MgO is in the Ratio 1:1

2Mg + O2 = 2Mgo is in the Ratio 1:1
Thank you! You just saved my life!
Reply 7
Original post by J.J Watson
Thank you! You just saved my life!

just a comment to keep the thread alive!
Original post by planet99
just a comment to keep the thread alive!

thank you!
Reply 9
Original post by R_B_R
but wouldn't the molar mass in this case be 80, since there is two lots of magnesium oxide for the products? :s-smilie:

no
this is becouse the molar mass is the atomic mass without being multiplied by its mole. the molar mass is not the rfm's added together
Original post by rkarp
no
this is becouse the molar mass is the atomic mass without being multiplied by its mole. the molar mass is not the rfm's added together

stoichiometric ratio

Quick Reply

Latest