The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Magnetic flux is the flux density x area. Where the flux density(B) is the strength of the magnetic field at point. (ie the density of lines of flux packed into a said area)

Magnetic flux linkage is used when taking about magnetic flux in respect to a coil, where is shows the total magnetic flux is acting on n coils.

Not very polished, but thats what I understand of it.
Reply 2
Flux linkage is the magnetic flux running through, or "linked" to a coil, so the field strength times the coil area.
Reply 3
mik1w
Flux linkage is the magnetic flux running through, or "linked" to a coil, so the field strength times the coil area.

flux linkage is flux density x cross sectional area x number of turns in coil Field strength is technically different from flux density, but I don't think they care too much at a-level
Reply 4
What do you mean? Isnt the magnetic flux an indication of the strength of magenetic field at that point?
Reply 5
SinghFello
What do you mean? Isnt the magnetic flux an indication of the strength of magenetic field at that point?

flux density is an indication of how strong the field is, yeah, but flux density and magnetic field are different things - flux density is B, magnetic field is H where B=μ0HB = \mu_0 H (this is just being pedantic for a-level though)
Reply 6
Bezza
flux density is an indication of how strong the field is, yeah, but flux density and magnetic field are different things - flux density is B, magnetic field is H where (this is just being pedantic for a-level though)

flux density is an old fashioned word for magnetic field strength. The term "Flux density" is a bit misleading as it is not the literal: flux density, but is the flux per unit area.
Reply 7
The word flux comes from the way we talk about electromagnetism in Physics. Flux are imaginary lines that mediate E+M forces. We can see magnetic flux line by using iron filings, which form those lovely little parterns. The word flux density talks about the number of these lines passing through an area (density of them). Flux linkage is when a conducting material cuts through these lines, producing an EMF.
Flux density isn't really an old fashion word as we use the word flux alot more in degree level. Besides density always talks about something per unit something, ie 'density' is mass per unit volume, 'charge density' charge per unit volume. You could redefine flux density as how much line per unit volume (ie number of lines x average length / volume) its just that both the line length and the volume length is the same thing.
Reply 8
B = phi / Area

Therefore, magnetic flux density is the number of field lines per given area.
Reply 9
SinghFello
Magnetic flux is the flux density x area. Where the flux density(B) is the strength of the magnetic field at point. (ie the density of lines of flux packed into a said area)

Magnetic flux linkage is used when taking about magnetic flux in respect to a coil, where is shows the total magnetic flux is acting on n coils.

Not very polished, but thats what I understand of it.

Singhfello u always kno the answers to peoples phy questions :eek: . Im very impressed with yr phy knowledge :cool: , i hope to be half as gd as you near the exam :eek: . I think i remember u sayin in the past that u use the Nelson advanced Science revision book, is that correct? Cos i need to get a move on with my revision and thats the only phy book i got at the moment :redface:

habosh is another very smart person on these threads , you guys must be revisin very hard ( no offence to all the other clever physicists )
Reply 10
if in da exam dey ask u 2 define magnetic flux density-to be as succint as possible heres wot u shud do 2 earn da marks with relative ease.

B=F/IL where B=magnetic flux density F=force I=current and L=length of wire IN THE FIELD where the conductor is perpendicular to da field.

that answer should suffice since it is derived from the ocr mark scheme!!! :biggrin:
Reply 11
jam_boy
if in da exam dey ask u 2 define magnetic flux density-to be as succint as possible heres wot u shud do 2 earn da marks with relative ease.

B=F/IL where B=magnetic flux density F=force I=current and L=length of wire IN THE FIELD where the conductor is perpendicular to da field.

that answer should suffice since it is derived from the ocr mark scheme!!! :biggrin:

That doesn't actually tell you anything though. For a start you haven't said what force you're talking about. Flux density is just flux/area
Reply 12
jam_boy

edexcel define questions are 3 marks (i think - from define shm etc) i dunno if yr def will be enough for 3 marks with edexcel :confused:

Latest