The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Geography 13th June post exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mocking_bird
Hello geography people! Just wanted to check, see how well you all got in the end! *hopes people see this D:*
I can honestly say i am in utter shock... I got an A*, 150/150 on paper 1&2!!!! Then 97/100 (i think it was 100) for the controlled assessment :smile:

A* too =], I got 148/150 for unit 1 and 143* for unit 2 and 92/100 so =]
Does anyone know what grade 133/150 for paper 1 is? x
I got an A overall, happy but gutted that i didnt get an A star :P I got an A in paper 1 and an A star in paper 2... AND A C IN THE COURSEWORK!!! I spent hours and hours upon end correcting and improving my coursework and i only got a C!! :frown: Its been really bad for people doing geography in my year as my the sounds of things i was the only one who got an A!!! The coursework should be where people can gain marks, and i feel really sorry for my friends who failed it because of the ridiculously low grades for the coursework!! :frown:

Btw can anyone tell me the grade boundaries for both tests & coursework, i feel slightly confused by what it says on the results sheet!

Thanks, Alex :smile:
I took this paper a year early (year 10) and was sooo pleased to get an A* (150/150!) This year I'm studying The Development Gap, Population and Tourism :smile:
Well done to you but was it necessary to post that? I did the whole GCSE a year early and am very pleased with my result but I'm not going to tell the world what I got as I really don't like bragging and find it an ugly trait of human nature!
I was just saying what my results were, like everyone else was in this thread. I guess I was just pretty chuffed considering I never do that well in exams. Thanks for making me feel awful now.
Original post by chriss-cross
I was just saying what my results were, like everyone else was in this thread. I guess I was just pretty chuffed considering I never do that well in exams. Thanks for making me feel awful now.

You should be proud! You did well and have every right to talk about your results, especially in a thread called "Post exam discussion" :rolleyes:.
Just ignore him/her. :smile:
I didn't want to upset you, I was just giving my opinion which is allowed! Sorry if it offended you!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 408
Some of the faults i noticed:

1) Rocks, Resources and Scenery:
-Asked to draw a map of quarry for 4 marks
-Asked about the formation of an escarpment for 8 marks (personally i had no problem with this however during post exam discussion i found many were thrown by this question as the specification and the textbook doesn’t include information on it!)

2) Water on Land:
-Asked to describe how floodplains are formed (again, personally i had no problem with this however during post exam discussion i found many were thrown by this question as the specification and the textbook doesn’t include information on it!)

3) Coastal zone:
-The map questions on measuring and drawing
-The poorly phrased last question (8 marks)

Overall i found there was a lack of case studies and information asked.

In my honest opinion, this exam was a complete shambles and i would urge you to complain to your schools to inform AQA of this if you experienced the same situation. Believe me when i say that when schools complain of an unfair exam, it gets noticed.

The reason i promote this is because the paper gives the examiner such an inaccurate portrayal of your true skill ability by testing on SO little of the knowledge required, as well as asking beyond the specification on numerous occasions.

I also truly believe that AQA have run out of questions to ask. Reviewing past papers i have seen how they do not/rarely repeat a question which means that each year they limit their asking capabilities and start asking bull**** questions such as 'draw a map of a quarry you have studied' for 4marks or measure this line. This is also evident when comparing last years paper with this years on. We received last year’s paper in our mock exams to which i received just short of full marks leading me to believe the exam format and style would be the same, however it felt like a different exam board two days ago. Being predicted (and i personally believed i would achieve this) a top A*, i feel unfairly cheated by AQA and i hope this is not the case for you but if it is i demand you take action.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending