The Student Room Group

A-level Geography Study Group 2023-2024

:hello: Welcome to the A-level Geography Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

Scroll to see replies

What exam board are you with? AQA
What do you enjoy most? I enjoy the physical side much more, especially the more biological parts
What do you struggle with? I find the human part quite challenging, especially the questions where you have to analyse poetry, songs and art
Reply 2
Hi, I do AQA. I enjoy physical geography more, and that’s what I’ve done my coursework/NEA on sand dunes, which is coastal. I hate human geography, especially contemporary urban environments. It’s such a long unit and there’s too many damn case studies that I can’t remember. Speaking of which, the 20-markers are so hard to time.
Original post by Esisaxis
Hi, I do AQA. I enjoy physical geography more, and that’s what I’ve done my coursework/NEA on sand dunes, which is coastal. I hate human geography, especially contemporary urban environments. It’s such a long unit and there’s too many damn case studies that I can’t remember. Speaking of which, the 20-markers are so hard to time.

i have barely done any 20 marker practice cause i just always put it off, i am so bad at them and rlly dk how to do them at all
Original post by flowersinmyhair
What exam board are you with? AQA
What do you enjoy most? I enjoy the physical side much more, especially the more biological parts
What do you struggle with? I find the human part quite challenging, especially the questions where you have to analyse poetry, songs and art

Hi! :biggrin: I do Edexcel and I love just learning Geography; I tend to not have much of a preference over Human or Physical, but right now I feel like Glaciation is really cool. What I’m really struggling with however is retaining information and applying it in an articulate manner- especially within the constraints of exam timings :frown:
Reply 5
Hey! I do AQA! I love different aspects of all the topics, though I'm particularly loving the geopolitics in Global Systems and Governance. I have exams this upcoming week and am having to remake some of my revision resources which is quite the struggle though! If anyone has or knows of any good flashcard links that'd be really great :')
Reply 6
Original post by Esther Omoyele
Hi! :biggrin: I do Edexcel and I love just learning Geography; I tend to not have much of a preference over Human or Physical, but right now I feel like Glaciation is really cool. What I’m really struggling with however is retaining information and applying it in an articulate manner- especially within the constraints of exam timings :frown:

Yes I always find timing is always an issue you aren't alone!
Original post by sof.trem
Hey! I do AQA! I love different aspects of all the topics, though I'm particularly loving the geopolitics in Global Systems and Governance. I have exams this upcoming week and am having to remake some of my revision resources which is quite the struggle though! If anyone has or knows of any good flashcard links that'd be really great :')

I do AQA, and I did not enjoy most of Global Systems and Global Governance, except the part on Antarctica (because it is much more physical lol). I'm now doing hazards and population and the environment. What topics are you doing?

I also did coasts 🦭
Reply 8
Original post by Pwca
:hello: Welcome to the A-level Geography Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

hi :smile: I do OCR geography, and enjoy more of the physical side (hazardous earth/coasts/elss) and don't like much of the human side (csmp/power and borders), would say I struggle most with exam technique and time management for 33 markers

Hey does anyone have an clue on how to revise from past papers effectively? I’ve been seeing it as a popular revision strat and I’m struggling because I’m bad at articulating a point so I waffle in answers :frown: any tips would be amazing
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 10
Hey does anyone have an clue on how to revise from past papers effectively? I’ve been seeing it as a popular revision strat and I’m struggling because I’m bad at articulating a point so I waffle in answers :frown: any tips would be amazing

Hi, what I find useful is to go mentally think of a TEA (trend, example, anomaly) or PEA (point, example/evidence, analysis) for each question. For the longer mark qs, the structure I use is PEEADL (point, explanation, evidence, analysis, development and link). I don't do Edexcel, but I hope this helps :smile:

Also try doing each past paper q and giving it in to your teacher to mark (if they can) since marking geography qs can be quite difficult when you think you've done something right, but it could be improved
(edited 3 months ago)
HELP!! Can someone send their local and distant case study notes!!!
Reply 12
Original post by bsingh006
Hi, what I find useful is to go mentally think of a TEA (trend, example, anomaly) or PEA (point, example/evidence, analysis) for each question. For the longer mark qs, the structure I use is PEEADL (point, explanation, evidence, analysis, development and link). I don't do Edexcel, but I hope this helps :smile:

Also try doing each past paper q and giving it in to your teacher to mark (if they can) since marking geography qs can be quite difficult when you think you've done something right, but it could be improved

Hi. What sort of questions is the TEA structure used for?
Reply 13
Original post by amanda23
Hi. What sort of questions is the TEA structure used for?

Hi, its mainly used for the 3/4 markers which want you to explain something, so they could give you a map of high magnitude earthquakes around the world, so what you would do is say where there's lots (i.e. Asia) then why (so mention the abundance of plate boundaries in the region and the Ring of Fire) and then say there's not many in another area (like the UK) since its not located that close to a plate boundary :smile:
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I do AQA, and I did not enjoy most of Global Systems and Global Governance, except the part on Antarctica (because it is much more physical lol). I'm now doing hazards and population and the environment. What topics are you doing?

I also did coasts 🦭

OMG SAME I HATE THE GLOBAL SYSTEMS AND GLOBAL GOVERNACE TOPIC BUT LOVVEEEEEE THE CASE STUDY ANTARTICA!!!!!! I was supposed to do population and the environment but my teacher wanted to do resource security which is fine. For the physical side of geography i did coasts which i hated ( i only enjoyed learning about sea level change) and now im doing Hazards
anyone got case studies for regeneration ( edexcel )?
Reply 16
Original post by hash38

london 2012 olympics is a good one!
Reply 17
anyone know what structure of writing a 6 marker for local and contrasting place
Reply 18
Original post by username6769907
London docklands
Has anyone got an example 20 mark essay for regeneration.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending