The Student Room Group

Chemical equilibrium question?(Edexcel as level)

carbon dioxide is disolved in water under pressure to make sparkling mineral water water.In a bottle of mineral water, there is an equilibrium between carbon dioxide dissolved in the drink, co2(aq), and carbon dioxide in the gas above the drink, co2(g)
Question 1
write an equation to represent the equilibrium between carbon dioxide gas and carbon dioxide in solution.
Question 2
Less than 1% of the dissolved carbon dioxide reacts with water. it forms hydrogencarbonate ions: CO2 + H2O -> H2CO3 -> H+ + HCO3-
use this equation to explain why carbon dioxide is much more soluble in soduim hydroxide solution than in water.
Reply 1
CO2 dissolves in water to form weakly acidic solution - a carbonic acid(whatever it is called, the equation should be easy to form)

again, the definition of weak acid should help you with answering your question 2. think over it a bit more and think of role of sodium hydroxide as compared to water, bearing in mind we are talking about acidity/basicity here.
Reply 2
edexcel = cop-out of a science a level
Reply 3
Original post by shengoc
CO2 dissolves in water to form weakly acidic solution - a carbonic acid(whatever it is called, the equation should be easy to form)

again, the definition of weak acid should help you with answering your question 2. think over it a bit more and think of role of sodium hydroxide as compared to water, bearing in mind we are talking about acidity/basicity here.

can you please just tell me the answers
Reply 4
Original post by shengoc

co2.h2o = co2 + h2o
first answer
Reply 5
Original post by reb0xx
can you please just tell me the answers

no, that is not the point of asking someone for help with answering questions. i have given you the tools, you should work the rest out. this is not even a mathematical question!

Quick Reply

Latest