The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-Level Chem Paper 1 Advanced Inorganic and Physical Chemistry [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did your Edexcel A-level Chemistry Paper 1 exam go today?

Edexcel A-Level Chemistry Paper 1 Advanced Inorganic and Physical Chemistry (9CHO/01) - Monday 12th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: Monday 12th June / AM
Length: 1h 45m

Resources
Edexcel (Chemistry)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi can we start a predicted paper and revision resource thread for paper 1 here!
Reply 3
Hello! I've gone through all of the edexcel papers on pmt, is it a good idea to use the aqa papers for more practice or should I just stick to doing the edexcel topic questions on pmt?

Also how are people revising now that it's getting closer to the exam date?
Reply 4
Original post by Pxnyl_
Hello! I've gone through all of the edexcel papers on pmt, is it a good idea to use the aqa papers for more practice or should I just stick to doing the edexcel topic questions on pmt?

Also how are people revising now that it's getting closer to the exam date?

Hi, I can't really say much for the aqa papers, I assume its good practice for some skills but obviously there is some content which is completely different to edexcel. Right now I'm just repeating past papers, doing questions from places like chemguide and watching youtube videos on any topics I'm still unsure about. Hope that helps!
Reply 5
Original post by em_iz
Hi, I can't really say much for the aqa papers, I assume its good practice for some skills but obviously there is some content which is completely different to edexcel. Right now I'm just repeating past papers, doing questions from places like chemguide and watching youtube videos on any topics I'm still unsure about. Hope that helps!

Okay great I think it's best to just stick to edexcel questions then. That's also what I'm doing so that makes me feel a little less stressed thank you!! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Pxnyl_
Okay great I think it's best to just stick to edexcel questions then. That's also what I'm doing so that makes me feel a little less stressed thank you!! :smile:

Your welcome, and good luck!
Reply 7
any predictions?
Reply 8
what are peoples game plans of preparing im trying to go up a grade! anything would be appreciated. currently im doing past papers but im scared it wont be enough.
Reply 9
Original post by Pxnyl_

thought i would share this with you guys, i would recommend this if you've exhausted all the past papers on physicsandmaths tutor
the question styles are quite similar, and lots of different variations to attempt, only thing different is the way they test paper 1 and paper 2 is sort of mixed but at least you can test yourself entirely that way!
https://www.savemyexams.co.uk/international-a-level/chemistry/edexcel/-/pages/past-papers/
Reply 10
Original post by moonbeige
thought i would share this with you guys, i would recommend this if you've exhausted all the past papers on physicsandmaths tutor
the question styles are quite similar, and lots of different variations to attempt, only thing different is the way they test paper 1 and paper 2 is sort of mixed but at least you can test yourself entirely that way!
https://www.savemyexams.co.uk/international-a-level/chemistry/edexcel/-/pages/past-papers/

Nooo the link doesn't work but I think I found it through the what the link says, thank you so so much !! <33

Chemistry is scaring me so much omdssss
Original post by moonbeige
what are peoples game plans of preparing im trying to go up a grade! anything would be appreciated. currently im doing past papers but im scared it wont be enough.

Here was my revision strategy last year: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&page=2#post97549790

I also did Edexcel A level chemistry, so I would be most happy to talk anyone on this thread through some of the material.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by TypicalNerd
Here was my revision strategy last year: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&page=2#post97549790

I also did Edexcel A level chemistry, so I would be most happy to talk anyone on this thread through some of the material.

Hello! Just out of interest what did you prioritise doing in the lead up to your chemistry exams (a few days before lets say)? Did you mainly focus on going over memorisations like for organic chemistry or just kept doing papers/ topic questions?
Original post by Pxnyl_
Hello! Just out of interest what did you prioritise doing in the lead up to your chemistry exams (a few days before lets say)? Did you mainly focus on going over memorisations like for organic chemistry or just kept doing papers/ topic questions?

By then, I had completed all the available past papers and was mostly assisting my classmates with their weak topics or going over the past papers to identify the mistakes I had made so as to find ways of reducing the numbers of marks lost unnecessarily.

Though I did regularly use sporcle.com to check I’d memorised the colours of inorganic ions and complexes as well as reagents and conditions.

Other than past papers, I found teaching others to be the best way to ensure I had actually learned all the topics thoroughly. I’d really recommend trying this - especially if you are going for an A or A*.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 14
By then, I had completed all the available past papers and was mostly assisting my classmates with their weak topics or going over the past papers to identify the mistakes I had made so as to find ways of reducing the numbers of marks lost unnecessarily.

Though I did regularly use sporcle.com to check I’d memorised the colours of inorganic ions and complexes as well as reagents and conditions.

Other than past papers, I found teaching others to be the best way to ensure I had actually learned all the topics thoroughly. I’d really recommend trying this - especially if you are going for an A or A*.

This is super helpful thank you so much! I really like sporcle for memorising organic reagents/ conditions and colours so I think I might stick to that and go through topic questions of weaker areas. I wouldn't mind teaching others as I definitely do find it helpful but my classmates aren't the type to want to study together unfortunately so I may just stick to past papers + sporcle :biggrin: Thanks again!
Original post by Pxnyl_
This is super helpful thank you so much! I really like sporcle for memorising organic reagents/ conditions and colours so I think I might stick to that and go through topic questions of weaker areas. I wouldn't mind teaching others as I definitely do find it helpful but my classmates aren't the type to want to study together unfortunately so I may just stick to past papers + sporcle :biggrin: Thanks again!

Here’s a suggestion. You have a TSR account - seek out any threads where users have A level chemistry questions and see if you can guide them through the questions without giving them the answers straight away. That may be your best alternative and it is something I did, but not too often.

Edit: this may be a good place to look: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=130
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 16
Here’s a suggestion. You have a TSR account - seek out any threads where users have A level chemistry questions and see if you can guide them through the questions without giving them the answers straight away. That may be your best alternative and it is something I did, but not too often.

Edit: this may be a good place to look: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=130

That's a really good shout actually and wouldn't have even crossed my mind to do that, I'll deffo keep my eyes peeled for any I can answer, thank you! :smile:
Original post by Pxnyl_
That's a really good shout actually and wouldn't have even crossed my mind to do that, I'll deffo keep my eyes peeled for any I can answer, thank you! :smile:

No problem. Hope it helps should you give it a shot.
Because I'm in a generous mood, I have made some practice papers for you lot to use in your revision (note that I will NOT be making any more of these, because of how time consuming it is to do so - if you want more practice papers, you may have to make your own and I'd recommend using google docs if that is ever the plan).

Pages 1 - 24 on papers 1 and 2 are the question papers. Anything beyond that is the MS.
Pages 1 - 32 on paper 3 are the question paper and anything beyond that is the MS.

Disclaimer: these are NOT predicted papers or even remote attempts to guess what will actually come up. Anything that is not assessed on these practice papers could come up, so do not make these the entirety of your revision.

Erratum notice for MS on Q4(c)(ii) paper 3:

Spoiler

(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 19
wow thank you so much!!!
Because I'm in a generous mood, I have made some practice papers for you lot to use in your revision (note that I will NOT be making any more of these, because of how time consuming it is to do so - if you want more practice papers, you may have to make your own and I'd recommend using google docs if that is ever the plan).

Pages 1 - 24 on papers 1 and 2 are the question papers. Anything beyond that is the MS.
Pages 1 - 32 on paper 3 are the question paper and anything beyond that is the MS.

Disclaimer: these are NOT predicted papers or even remote attempts to guess what will actually come up. Anything that is not assessed on these practice papers could come up, so do not make these the entirety of your revision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending