The Student Room Group

Kc question (hard?!)

I don’t understand how you get the values for the table.

Go to question 2bi
https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Chemistry/A-level/Topic-Qs/Edexcel/11-Equilibrium-II/Set-G/Equilibrium%20II.pdf

Could someone explain? I’ve tried for almost 2hours and can’t figure out what to do.
Thanks
Original post by Den322221

Go to question 2bi
https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Chemistry/A-level/Topic-Qs/Edexcel/11-Equilibrium-II/Set-G/Equilibrium%20II.pdf

Could someone explain? I’ve tried for almost 2hours and can’t figure out what to do.
Thanks

It's moles. The reaction can be expressed:

acid + alcohol <==> ester + water

The initial moles are in the question.
Once equilibrium is established 'x' mol of the reactants change and produce 'x' mol of the products.
So the equilibrium moles =
acid = (0.105 - x)
alcohol = (0.080 - x)
ester = x
water = (0.111 + x)

The total mol acid at equilibrium = acid catalyst + acid remaining = 0.00400 + (0.105 - x)

can you take it from here?
Original post by Den322221

Go to question 2bi

Thanks

For each value of a in the table, try adding [I2] and y and see if you notice anything.

Original post by charco
It's moles. The reaction can be expressed:

acid + alcohol <==> ester + water

The initial moles are in the question.
Once equilibrium is established 'x' mol of the reactants change and produce 'x' mol of the products.
So the equilibrium moles =
acid = (0.105 - x)
alcohol = (0.080 - x)
ester = x
water = (0.111 + x)

The total mol acid at equilibrium = acid catalyst + acid remaining = 0.00400 + (0.105 - x)

can you take it from here?

I’m pretty sure 2b(i) is about the reaction of hydrogen and iodine. I don’t think that’s the question the OP wanted help with, but it’s a useful start nonetheless.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by TypicalNerd
I’m pretty sure 2b(i) is about the reaction of hydrogen and iodine. I don’t think that’s the question the OP wanted help with, but it’s a useful start nonetheless.

I'm pretty sure you're correct!

Should'a gone to Specsavers ... :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by TypicalNerd
For each value of a in the table, try adding [I2] and y and see if you notice anything.

Thanks
Reply 5
Could someone explain to me why you cannot simply rearrange y= a√kc / 2+ √kc to y / a = √kc / 2+ √kc, and as √kc / 2+ √kc is a constant, you can use the values for a and y to find out the value of this constant and use this to find the other values? if that makes any sense?
Reply 6
Original post by Tagsmags
Could someone explain to me why you cannot simply rearrange y= a√kc / 2+ √kc to y / a = √kc / 2+ √kc, and as √kc / 2+ √kc is a constant, you can use the values for a and y to find out the value of this constant and use this to find the other values? if that makes any sense?

I think you could but that’s a really long method for just 2 marks.

Quick Reply

Latest