The Student Room Group

AQA A2 BIOL5 22nd June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Would someone be able to answer a question about chemo receptors for me please:smile:?

I'm confused! I understand that id co2 increases, ph decreases, so impulses to the sypathetic branch of the medula oblongata are increased, BUT

say the bllod PH is lowered, would it increase the amount of impulses to the parasympathetic branch of the modula oblongata, or just decrease the amount of impulses to the sympathetic branch???

- trying to do past papers and failing :frown:, its not like i need an A or anyth.... oh wait. :'(.
Those of you who've done June 2010, did anyone else find that some of the questions had weird, slightly non-sensical answers? Like, for example, apparently every mitochondrion in a wolf comes from the female gamete...
Reply 2102
Original post by clairelouise444
Could someone explain to me nervous control of ventilation please :smile:?
Also are the intercostal muscles skeletal muscles?

For the second part, apparently so:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_the_diaphragm_muscle_skeletal_muscle
Reply 2103
Original post by TheDeviant
Those of you who've done June 2010, did anyone else find that some of the questions had weird, slightly non-sensical answers? Like, for example, apparently every mitochondrion in a wolf comes from the female gamete...

Yeah, according to the mark scheme, sperm don't have mitochondria... but how are they supposed to produce the enery to swim without mitochondria????
Makes no sense - I hate AQA:angry:
Original post by Granger
some one give me a random essay to write.. TEST ME

Cell structure

Or use of protiens

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
Hey can anyone suggest what to write for an essay on ATP, all i can really think of is that its made in respiration:frown:
Reply 2106
Reposting these links to helpful synoptic essay stuff so other people have a chance to see them. Good luck everyone :smile:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/94660197/Synoptic-Essay-Plans

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...0GbpshVekQGprA
Original post by Mpaterson2
Hey can anyone suggest what to write for an essay on ATP, all i can really think of is that its made in respiration:frown:

I've got:

Photosynthesis - used in LIR
Respiration - used in glycolysis
Active transport - Na+ and K+ pump and Ca2+ pump
Muscle contractions
Active uptake of ions in plants
Structure and advantages of ATP

Hope this helps. :biggrin:
For transfer through ecosystems, could you put how the amount of energy transferred is reduced through trophic levels e.g. indigestible parts or would this be classed as irrelevent?

:smile:

I knew the answer to that because I've read about it elsewhere, but I don't think it was fair AQA asked that question seeing as it isn't part of the syllabus.
Original post by Bluewinds
I've got:

Photosynthesis - used in LIR
Respiration - used in glycolysis
Active transport - Na+ and K+ pump and Ca2+ pump
Muscle contractions
Active uptake of ions in plants
Structure and advantages of ATP

Hope this helps. :biggrin:

Yeah thanks for the quick response that really helped:cool::biggrin::smile:
Original post by Mpaterson2
Yeah thanks for the quick response that really helped:cool::biggrin::smile:

You're welcome. :biggrin:
Could any lovely person give me a mark scheme (ish) answer about the process of how a muscle contracts. I have learnt the process out of my CGP book but it seems to be a bit more simplified than the process described in the Nelson Thornes book , but I don't want to confuse myself the night before the exam trying to relearn the more detalied one! Just wondering if anyone knew what kind of points you would need to include to gain the marks. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 2113

That was clearly an irrevant question. It doesn't mention it anywhere in the book, and it's not fair on us. Does aqa expect us to read up on every topic surrounding biology??:mad:
Hi guys, do any of you know how many major points we need covered in our essay to get 3 marks on breath?

Thanks.
Original post by etothepii
I knew the answer to that because I've read about it elsewhere, but I don't think it was fair AQA asked that question seeing as it isn't part of the syllabus.

No, i agree it's hard, but if you think about it....the only thing the male gamete gives is non-essential to life stuff, which starts the process of a female embryo turning to a male one, whereas all the essential genes are on female gamete???
Original post by josh9294
Hi guys, do any of you know how many major points we need covered in our essay to get 3 marks on breath?

Thanks.

My biology teacher told me to aim for 4 topics and you should get three marks for breadth. :smile:
Reply 2117

Thanks.

As much as you can. You don't have to include EVERYTHING about the topic, but the more you show your knowlegde of the past units, the better.
For breadth marks, you want to include as many different topics as possibly and from all the units if possible. Also, try to write down information about animals, plants and bacteria, again, if possible.

Thanks.

My teacher told us to try and do 2 points in detail - so 2 detailed paragraphs, and try to mention at least 5 different points (just 2 need to be very detailed) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending