The Student Room Group

planar molecules

can someone explain what is meant by a planar structure?? i thought its where alll the angles of the molecule are 120 but it says methanoic acid has a planar structure but it has a 104.5 bond angle :/

q2 does replacing the H in a c-H bond with a halogen make the bond stronger or weaker?? is it stronger due to larger difference in electronegativity????
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by pondsteps
can someone explain what is meant by a planar structure?? i thought its where alll the angles of the molecule are 120 but it says methanoic acid has a planar structure but it has a 104.5 bond angle :/

q2 does replacing the H in a c-H bond with a halogen make the bond stronger or weaker?? is it stronger due to larger difference in electronegativity????

All of the atoms are in a plane.
Original post by alow
All of the atoms are in a plane.

what? could u explain more pls...
Reply 3

Flat. They're flat.

Same plane, i.e. they're flat. All angles don't have to be 120120^{\circ}, no. That's only the case when the molecule is trigonal planar.
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Same plane, i.e. they're flat. All angles don't have to be 120120^{\circ}, no. That's only the case when the molecule is trigonal planar.

ohhhh.. so from the bond angles how can we tell if it has a planar structure or not?

Quick Reply

Latest