The Student Room Group

shape of molecules a level chem

do you look at lone pairs to work out electron geometry? is that why NH3 is tetrahedral (3 bonding pairs, 1 lone pair) rather than trigonal planar? then to see specifically molecular geometry you take into account how the number of lone pairs changes bond angle? i think this is right but im getting unclear explanations online when i search it up and my textbook is no help
Original post by Nat4695
do you look at lone pairs to work out electron geometry? is that why NH3 is tetrahedral (3 bonding pairs, 1 lone pair) rather than trigonal planar? then to see specifically molecular geometry you take into account how the number of lone pairs changes bond angle? i think this is right but im getting unclear explanations online when i search it up and my textbook is no help
Yes.
You must first find out the number of electron domains around the central atom. This gives the domain geometry. Then the bonds with actual atoms gives the molecular/ionic shape.
There are many examples on Colourful Solutions Youtube.
Here is the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7D70531B822BC838
For example:
Reply 2
Original post by Scanjo63
you dont use lone pairs in deciding on the overall shape, but it is crucial to find them as they will affect bond angles. try here: https://www.science-revision.co.uk/A-level_shapes_finding_the_lonepair.html

This is incorrect? Lone pairs are very much involved in determining overall shape. 3 bonding pairs and 1 lone pair would give a trigonal pyramidal shape rather than a trigonal planar shape, for example.
Reply 3
Thanks guys that was really helpful :smile:)
Reply 4
you dont use lone pairs in deciding on the overall shape, but it is crucial to find them as they will affect bond angles. try here: https://www.science-revision.co.uk/A-level_shapes_finding_the_lonepair.html

This is wrong - you can use lone pairs to work out the shape of molecules
Reply 5
Original post by Methene
This is incorrect? Lone pairs are very much involved in determining overall shape. 3 bonding pairs and 1 lone pair would give a trigonal pyramidal shape rather than a trigonal planar shape, for example.
Hi its not incorrect, the presence of lone pairs will affect bond angles, but in deciding on the overall shape of a molecule lone pairs are not taken into account. In the example you give it is the three bonding pairs that determines the shape of the molecule, not the lone pairs. Trigonal planar molecules have 6 valency electrons, trigonal pyramidal molecules have 8 valency electrons in the example you give, so based on a tetrahedral molecule, its not tetrahedral because you DONT take the lone pair into consideration when deciding on the overall shape. The molecules shape will be trigonal pyramidal as you said but the presence of the lone pair will compress down the bond angles you might expect as its based on a tetrahedral structure.
Reply 6
Hi its not incorrect, the presence of lone pairs will affect bond angles, but in deciding on the overall shape of a molecule lone pairs are not taken into account. In the example you give it is the three bonding pairs that determines the shape of the molecule, not the lone pairs. Trigonal planar molecules have 6 valency electrons, trigonal pyramidal molecules have 8 valency electrons in the example you give, so based on a tetrahedral molecule, its not tetrahedral because you DONT take the lone pair into consideration when deciding on the overall shape. The molecules shape will be trigonal pyramidal as you said but the presence of the lone pair will compress down the bond angles you might expect as its based on a tetrahedral structure.
I agree with the others but thanks for the help anyway! Lone pairs definitely are taken into account, I did several exam questions including where they ask you to determine shape of a molecule which has a lone pair, the correct answer was the one where you take the LP into account : )

Quick Reply

Latest