The Student Room Group

OCR BIOLOGY GATEWAY B 25TH MAY 2016 B1 B2 B3 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by AA11AAA
Do you reckon it will be lower than 50?
I doubt it as 50/75 for an a* is pretty low already but all we can do is hope that it'll go down by a few marks !!! :frown:
Original post by megmkc
I got 50% for both

Same!!!
Original post by jessebakes
I said a 98% loss of energy. Would I get the mark?

I would say you should tbh lol makes sense.
Original post by jessebakes
I said a 98% loss of energy. Would I get the mark?

Possibly - it'll probably be in the guidance at the side, but I'm not sure.
Original post by AA11AAA
Do you reckon it will be lower than 50?

I think it should be, was harder than any past paper I've done (June 2013 was 45 for A* so anything can happen)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nasherz
I doubt it as 50/75 for an a* is pretty low already but all we can do is hope that it'll go down by a few marks !!! :frown:

Lowest ever was 60% in 2013 (45/75) ...I have a table but tsr wont let me post :frown:...highest is 76% in 2012 which was 46/60.

At 76% for us, it 57 marks
Does any body know when the grade boundary swill come out?
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
It was 50% because for a condition caused by a dominant allele to be expressed, you only need the dominant allele to be present (so in that case TT or Tt)
I think it was Tt Tt tt tt so 50%

Posted from TSR Mobile

But surely it's TT that matters? And having Tt makes the child a carrier😭?!
Reply 288
Original post by SoDoneWithSchool
Does any body know when the grade boundary swill come out?

Generally one week before results day?
Original post by ellamoon_22
This is correct it's 2% energy taken in was 200000 and energy used by sheep was 4000 the 200 isn't even involved if y see the equation for efficiency it is says total taken in

The question specifically said from PLANT TO SHEEP so I don't get why people got 5%( I'm actually baffled to this debate:s-smilie:)

Wow guys, you obviously are the experts here so I better leave it to you since you seem to know the whole mark scheme by heart and are obviously better than my own biology teacher!!!!!!!!!
Original post by aurora_
Wow guys, you obviously are the experts here so I better leave it to you since you seem to know the whole mark scheme by heart and are obviously better than my own biology teacher!!!!!!!!!

Lol u say ur biology teacher knows the answer is 5% and I'm pretty sure I've seen someone else say their bio teacher said its 2%. Agree to disagree and calm down love
Original post by SoDoneWithSchool
But surely it's TT that matters? And having Tt makes the child a carrier😭?!

The questions states that club thumbs are dominant, therefore both Tt and TT will show symptoms, making it 50%. Remember that capital is the dominant and lowercase is the recessive, and only 1 dominant is needed for symptoms to show.
Original post by !GG!
Generally one week before results day?

It's the day before results day.
it's 2% a let me tell you why,

In the 2015 paper they also had an energy efficiency question for the b2 6 marker:

diagram:
phytoplankton >1500kj> zooplankton >225kj> herring >22.5kj> salmon

the energy efficiency between zooplankton and herring in this chain is 15% etc.

so.... they calculated this by doing:

225/1500 x100= 15%

for our question it's the same principle,

I can't remember the figures or animals in our question but it would be

energy between sheep and grass

divided by

the energy before that or whatever

x100

which equalled 2%

sorry this was so badly explained but I hope it kinda makes sense to all of you :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gcsewan
it's 2% a let me tell you why,

In the 2015 paper they also had an energy efficiency question for the b2 6 marker:

diagram:
phytoplankton >1500kj> zooplankton >225kj> herring >22.5kj> salmon

the energy efficiency between zooplankton and herring in this chain is 15% etc.

so.... they calculated this by doing:

225/1500 x100= 15%

for our question it's the same principle,

I can't remember the figures or animals in our question but it would be

energy between sheep and grass

divided by

the energy before that or whatever

x100

which equalled 2%

sorry this was so badly explained but I hope it kinda makes sense to all of you :smile:

The 5% has come from people misreading the question
how did you find the exam yesterday? half of my school found it so hard and the others easy:frown:
would you say the grade boundaries will be higher, or lower for an A* this year, as I thought the questions were pretty vague, and not as straight forward as last year!
Reply 297
Original post by OllieBiggs
would you say the grade boundaries will be higher, or lower for an A* this year, as I thought the questions were pretty vague, and not as straight forward as last year!

Difficult to say... You can't compare the papers from each year due to the fact that you cope differently under the pressure of a mock paper (what the 2015 paper was) and the real thing. A close friend of mine did both however, and she seemed to find June 2016 easier than June 2015 due to the fact that the 6 mark questions assessed, although quite implied, some content, rather than BAC (a calculation in the June 2015 that wasn't even given a formula for).

I predict 52/75 for A*
Original post by ad4m
Difficult to say... You can't compare the papers from each year due to the fact that you cope differently under the pressure of a mock paper (what the 2015 paper was) and the real thing. A close friend of mine did both however, and she seemed to find June 2016 easier than June 2015 due to the fact that the 6 mark questions assessed, although quite implied, some content, rather than BAC (a calculation in the June 2015 that wasn't even given a formula for).

I predict 52/75 for A*

Thank you
I think I got around 43 looking at that uo mark scheme... Anyone got any ideas on the predicted boundaries? I saw 55 for an A* up there!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending