The Student Room Group

maths level for physics degree essential?

i haven't taken maths a level but thinking about doing a degree in physics will i need to do the maths a level or is it possible to do the physics degree without?
If you want to go to the top unis then its almost essential
Original post by georgefraser99
i haven't taken maths a level but thinking about doing a degree in physics will i need to do the maths a level or is it possible to do the physics degree without?

Pretty much, some unis will run foundation years that you could apply for to gain entry into the degree
Original post by georgefraser99

A lot of the best courses will need maths due to the amount of calculus involved across many physics topics, not to mention others eg. complex numbers in quantum mechanics.

As above, if you have your heart set on physics, you can do a foundation year. It is an integrated pre-level 1 year (year 0), so 4yrs for BSc/BEng or 5yrs for MSci/MEng.

I know that York offer a foundation year in physics, and there are many others that offer engineering foundation years (so probably for physics also) such as Durham, Southampton, Lboro, Sheffield, Manchester, QMUL...

Also note that you can successfully complete the foundation year and transfer to another university. For example you could enrol on a 4year BEng Engineering with foundation year, then after you complete the foundation year transfer (via UCAS) to another university. If you want to do that you'll need to check with the uni if they accept your qualifications as that type of combination won't likely be on their webpage.
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
A lot of the best courses will need maths due to the amount of calculus involved across many physics topics, not to mention others eg. complex numbers in quantum mechanics.

As above, if you have your heart set on physics, you can do a foundation year. It is an integrated pre-level 1 year (year 0), so 4yrs for BSc/BEng or 5yrs for MSci/MEng.

I know that York offer a foundation year in physics, and there are many others that offer engineering foundation years (so probably for physics also) such as Durham, Southampton, Lboro, Sheffield, Manchester, QMUL...

Also note that you can successfully complete the foundation year and transfer to another university. For example you could enrol on a 4year BEng Engineering with foundation year, then after you complete the foundation year transfer (via UCAS) to another university. If you want to do that you'll need to check with the uni if they accept your qualifications as that type of combination won't likely be on their webpage.

Thanks for the response i am looking at the foundation physics degrees
You HAVE to do a level maths to do a physics degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending