The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

get someone else to buy you drinks and get a drivers license and change the dob? :teehee:
Congrats in getting in to University a year early.
I just tunred 18 and I'm in my second year in college. Just because it's Freshers week, doesn't mean you have to drink. I don't drink so I know what I mean. Can't you just do something else instead of drinking?
Reply 62
Mischievous Little Thing
Lots of people start Uni at 17 - you'll be fine!

:lolwut: Really?
I have a good one for this!

EASY!! Don't go out and stay in and do some pre-course reading.
Bring It On!
oooook, I'm one of those people starting uni this year at the age of 17. (wont be 18 till next february) I'm just worried about how I'll spend my freshers week (which would start in 2 days time) Any advice you guys can give me?

oh, and to make matters worse I don't have any place to stay in London so I have to travel an hour back home by the underground. Is there any places I can stay over for cheap just till the first trains?

you gotta help me guys, I don't want to be a social outcast in uni :eek3:

I'm in the same boat as you! Apart from I skipped year 3 and my birthday is in November so I'll only be going two months in Uni whilst 17 anyway. Plus, I'm going to Aberystwyth which only has two clubs in the whole town! Good luck, I'm having the same worries as you, but I'm sure it'll all be fine when you get there, not everyone will go out EVERY night so they'll always be someone you can hang around with!
Reply 65
People questioning why you would go to university at seventeen..
Does the English system work differently from Scotland's? Lots of people in my year will be seventeen when they start-myself included?
Just wondered.
Reply 66
Emzzzz:)x
People questioning why you would go to university at seventeen..
Does the English system work differently from Scotland's? Lots of people in my year will be seventeen when they start-myself included?
Just wondered.

In Scotland the months of school intake are march-february and in England it's september-august, if that makes sense. For example, I have a December birthday. I was always one of the youngest in my year whereas in England I'd be one of the oldest in the year (and effectively a year below)
It then works out that by the end of year 13 (almost) everybody is ready to start uni in September at 18, whereas by the end of S6 only about half the year is 18. Sucks!

I don't get why people are saying to take a gap year for the sake of a fresher's week though. Then again I'm at a campus uni and I'm not expecting to have too many problems.
Reply 67
xo-Heva
Tag along and hope you don't get ID'd. :p:
Thats what I would do anyway.
Or I've heard of people showing their ID, despite the birthday on it being underage and still getting in.

Best advice, if they ask for ID just say your sorry and you forgot it and chances are they will probably let you in.
Bring It On!
oooook, I'm one of those people starting uni this year at the age of 17. (wont be 18 till next february) I'm just worried about how I'll spend my freshers week (which would start in 2 days time) Any advice you guys can give me?

oh, and to make matters worse I don't have any place to stay in London so I have to travel an hour back home by the underground. Is there any places I can stay over for cheap just till the first trains?

you gotta help me guys, I don't want to be a social outcast in uni :eek3:

Girl in halls was like this. Noone will know and people will assume slight degrees of genius.
Clubs arent a problem if you go with other students.

Crash with friends in halls?
Pirouette
I'm in the same boat as you! Apart from I skipped year 3 and my birthday is in November so I'll only be going two months in Uni whilst 17 anyway. Plus, I'm going to Aberystwyth which only has two clubs in the whole town! Good luck, I'm having the same worries as you, but I'm sure it'll all be fine when you get there, not everyone will go out EVERY night so they'll always be someone you can hang around with!

You'll be absolutely FINE in Aber. I used to go up there when I was 17, and was never, ever ID'd.

OP, try and go to the union as much as you can for a while. They'll assume you're a student usually, and you should be able to get away with it :smile:
Reply 70
Sorry. Troll. Even if you aren't, you won't be a ******* social outcast. Man up. I don't drink and neither do many others - social outcast, my ass

Latest

Trending

Trending