The Student Room Group

Student Finance Disability Allowance Dyspraxia

Basically what the title says has anyone got a student disability allowance for their dyspraxia before? UCAS suggests I could get something but wondering if it was possible.

If it helps the unis I’m looking at are Durham (current firm idea), Edinburgh (waiting on reply could be firm) and Liverpool (insurance).
Original post by kitty_e_06
Basically what the title says has anyone got a student disability allowance for their dyspraxia before? UCAS suggests I could get something but wondering if it was possible.
If it helps the unis I’m looking at are Durham (current firm idea), Edinburgh (waiting on reply could be firm) and Liverpool (insurance).
I would imagine you would be able to if you have medical evidence of the having the condition.
This is a couple of years old but is all about moving to university with dyspraxia
I don't know if it mentions what DSA provide specifically but might be a useful read
https://dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/guide-to-going-to-university-2019.pdf
Reply 3
Original post by kitty_e_06
Yep, applied for DSA when I went to uni (durham actually, although I don't think the uni really matters), got a laptop (you have to contribute £200 personally) with some software on it (ultra mega spell check, some kind of reading software, and a note taking/recording software) and training on how to use it. I also got a microhpone, probably for the note taking software as the laptop I was given either dind't have a built in mic or it was terrible
In addition I also got given printer credit up to I think £100? - this was redeemed after I showed reciepts proving I'd spent the money

what you get might be different though, they talk to you and try to assess your needs and what is going to be helpful to you specifically

if you've got any other questions about disability support at durham more generally I'm happy to try and answer
Don't know anything about it personally, but I know that some people have gotten it for dyspraxia. There's an organization called This Student Needs that helps with application!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending