The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel Government and Politics (Unit 1- People and Politics) exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Snake91
you sound like you did well! any good tips for exam technique? we've been messed about at our 6th form with part a's and could you just run me through how you'd set out a part c)?

Thanks!

Well, actually on this exam I mucked up, ended up with a B (which is in no way bad) but managed 92 on unit 2 so I didnt mind.
I'm assuming by part a, b, c you mean the 5, 10, 15 markers?

part a- quite literally learning the definition with an example -
they are so so important.
part b - answer exactly what the question is asking, if they don't ask for the other side; assume they don't want it. its more of a 'get it all out onto the paper' type of question. you literally just write all the points, again with examples.
part c- minor intro - then some points for with examples and some against with examples. and a small conclusion.

pressure groups are usually straight forward questions. i can't remember the other section..theres elections, parties, pressure groups and another one....that ones easy as well.

sorry, not much help but i can only think of the basic things :s-smilie:
Reply 61
jaz_jaz
Well, actually on this exam I mucked up, ended up with a B (which is in no way bad) but managed 92 on unit 2 so I didnt mind.
I'm assuming by part a, b, c you mean the 5, 10, 15 markers?

part a- quite literally learning the definition with an example -
they are so so important.
part b - answer exactly what the question is asking, if they don't ask for the other side; assume they don't want it. its more of a 'get it all out onto the paper' type of question. you literally just write all the points, again with examples.
part c- minor intro - then some points for with examples and some against with examples. and a small conclusion.

pressure groups are usually straight forward questions. i can't remember the other section..theres elections, parties, pressure groups and another one....that ones easy as well.

sorry, not much help but i can only think of the basic things :s-smilie:

would referendums come under democracy or elections?
hey guys,
i just wanted to offer some last minute tips about this exam.

I came out of mine really worried, and cried myself to sleep that night. I did very well, stupid worrying really, so don't make the same mistake :smile:

Be wary of time! Try to leave as much time as you can for the 25 markers, you'll really appreciate it when you're trying to finish it.

With the 5 marks, from experience, put an example on the end, it seems to secure the 5/5, but just do the best definition (it normally is a definition) and just move on.

With the 10 marks, unless specified, they're not evaluative questions. They're just describe/highlight - so do exactly that! it saves time, and wouldn't get you any extra marks.

With the 25 marks, make sure you give two sides of the argument. It will always be a question requiring two sides. And conclude. A conclusion is reallyyyy important. I was advised, if running out of time, miss out one of the points you were going to make, and put a conclusion down. I did exactly that, my timing got messed up, but I concluded and it seems to have worked in my favour.

Don't panic, have a good breakfast, take plenty of rest before, drink some water, etc etc etc (normal exam advice) good luck!

wrt the post above,
I can't remember referendums coming up in elections, but it may well do. it defo comes into democracy.
it's a way of enhancing democracy - the use of direct forms of democracy.
Reply 63
Daniel123

I'd say democracy.
Reply 64
Daniel123

democracy.
you could end up mentioning it in elections depending on the question but its most definitely likely to be democracy.
Reply 65
Daniel123

Under democracy
I'm going to forget about elections now:frown: The rest I'll learn in depth:smile:

How is revision going people?:h:

Good luck!:hugs:
Reply 67
ahhhhhh!!!!! dreading this exam!!!!!! i think i'm okay with democracy, its the questions on pressure groups that usually confuse me!!! hope it's better than last year, that paper was so hard
Chezz4
ahhhhhh!!!!! dreading this exam!!!!!! i think i'm okay with democracy, its the questions on pressure groups that usually confuse me!!! hope it's better than last year, that paper was so hard

Me too! Think positively that seems to help for me:p: I'm confused about Elections:frown: Good luck!
Reply 69
Epic struggle.

Self teaching DPP and Pressure Groups. Hopefully the questions are kind.
Reply 70
Bossa Nova
Me too! Think positively that seems to help for me:p: I'm confused about Elections:frown: Good luck!

only doing oressure groups and democ
Reply 71
Bossa Nova

only doing pressure groups and democ
Have more or less given up hope. Should never have taken up another AS anyway haha.
Reply 73
has anyone got june 2009 paper?
Or does anyone know what part c of political parties was on it?
Thanks
was to what extent has new labour abandoned social democracy :smile:
politicallyconfused
was to what extent has new labour abandoned social democracy :smile:

And democracy if you don't mind? :smile: (Once will be enough :p: )
Reply 76
Benjybh
I got 50% last year which was a D...

Retaking tomorrow and hoping for the best!

Ah yeah, I got around 68% last year and that was a C, Im retaking one paper tommorow and hoping the boundaries aren't as high this time or to atleast improve my mark obviously!
Reply 77
Girasole
Ah yeah, I got around 68% last year and that was a C, Im retaking one paper tommorow and hoping the boundaries aren't as high this time or to atleast improve my mark obviously!

Yeh i got 68% too i hoped i did better but im retaking hoping it will have lower boundarys etc
have you got any exam tips?
any potential areas which may come up under democracy or pressure groups?
Reply 78
acidicgirl
And democracy if you don't mind? :smile: (Once will be enough :p: )

erm the democracy question was bascially to Discuss Democratic Deficit in the UK.
I'm so sorry that posted so many times :|

yeah, it was: to what extent is there a democratic defecit in the UK?

eek, i did democracy and parties too :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending