The Student Room Group

OCR F324 (Chains, rings and spectroscopy) 28/06/10

Scroll to see replies

vt_k
C; just on the boundary :frown:, you?

A few marks off an A. What do you want/need for university? I need an A :/
If you oxidise an alkene apparently you get two different aldehydes 9I don't remember ever being taught that, nor is it even mentioned in the book.) I believe the June 09 paper (q7) has a question on it.
Reply 1182
Summerdays
If you oxidise an alkene apparently you get two different aldehydes 9I don't remember ever being taught that, nor is it even mentioned in the book.) I believe the June 09 paper (q7) has a question on it.

what the feck??? ive never even heard of aldehydes being formed form alkenes!? mustve been something on the old spec. cause the new spec, only speaks of aldehydes only ever being formed from the oxidation of primary alcohols!
Reply 1183
thecdon
Can someone help me out please? i have no idea what the integration trace on nmr means...it's supposed to show the proportions of protons but i have no idea how it does...can someone please explain it? and please quote me when replying :smile:

integration numbers just tell you the number of protons that that particular peak represents i.e the number of protons on that carbon. and the splitting on the peak tells you the number of protons on the adjacent carbon.
Reply 1184
Ah damn, the exams way too soon!!
I haven't even done enough meaningful preparation!
Anyone got any tips as to what I should prioritise- Rote learning or past papers??
Reply 1185
sidrah
Ah damn, the exams way too soon!!
I haven't even done enough meaningful preparation!
Anyone got any tips as to what I should prioritise- Rote learning or past papers??

just go thru the spec. theres one hundred pages in the txtbook for this paper. you could probs get thru it all in one day. ive only started revision today. just about finished module 1. make sure u know both mechanisms for this part.
Reply 1186
i have this exam but it's way too hot to revise and i keep getting dsitracted.

anyway for anyone stuck on nmr check this guy's links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdFebGTfwIU&feature=related
someone posted it earlier but he is a godsend
ACDC
just go thru the spec. theres one hundred pages in the txtbook for this paper. you could probs get thru it all in one day. ive only started revision today. just about finished module 1. make sure u know both mechanisms for this part.

Yeah I agree; just go through the specification finding out exactly what we need to know; I revised Module 1 in the May half term, so all I have to do is the short section on Module 2 and then the Analysis section which I hate! :frown:

Apart from going through the spec, I just do the lastest past papers and F324 from Jan 2010 again; :rolleyes:
Reply 1188
ACDC

Thanks for the help, will definitely be doing that.
Reply 1189
Mr van der WAALs
Yeah I agree; just go through the specification finding out exactly what we need to know; I revised Module 1 in the May half term, so all I have to do is the short section on Module 2 and then the Analysis section which I hate! :frown:

Apart from going through the spec, I just do the lastest past papers and F324 from Jan 2010 again; :rolleyes:

take a look in the link posted in the post before yours, if your struggling with nmr spec. i posted the link last week, and since discovering this teachers videos on nmr, i havent messed up on an nmr question since. theres more detail than required for our spec, but it'll certainly help with your understanding.

my chem teacher has been **** and lazy for the last 2 years, so ive basically had the job of teaching myself. and my best resource has been youtube. another channel to take a look at is by a youtuber called: khanacademy. his vids helped a lot with biology, mind i havent checked his vids for chem, but if his bio vids are anything to go by, i'd recommend him.
ACDC
take a look in the link posted in the post before yours, if your struggling with nmr spec. i posted the link last week, and since discovering this teachers videos on nmr, i havent messed up on an nmr question since. theres more detail than required for our spec, but it'll certainly help with your understanding.

my chem teacher has been **** and lazy for the last 2 years, so ive basically had the job of teaching myself. and my best resource has been youtube. another channel to take a look at is by a youtuber called: khanacademy. his vids helped a lot with biology, mind i havent checked his vids for chem, but if his bio vids are anything to go by, i'd recommend him.

Thanks for your consideration :smile: ; I have looked at this video before and found it quite helpful as well; but it is not so much NMR that I hate about the analysis section it is more about the stuff about chromatography and spec points (a) through (h) under chromatography.
Reply 1191
Mr van der WAALs
Thanks for your consideration :smile: ; I have looked at this video before and found it quite helpful as well; but it is not so much NMR that I hate about the analysis section it is more about the stuff about chromatography and spec points (a) through (h) under chromatography.

okay, i havent quite got that far in my revision yet! but i dont remember it being particularly difficult, so once i get there, i'll try and summarise it, maybe later on tonight or tomorrow morning.
Can anyone help?
What's the difference between an amide link such as in polyamides and peptide links in condensation polymerisation of amino acids?
They're both c-o-n-h ...
:s-smilie:
Reply 1193
Just. Say. Yes.
Can anyone help?
What's the difference between an amide link such as in polyamides and peptide links in condensation polymerisation of amino acids?
They're both c-o-n-h ...
:s-smilie:

theres no difference, just a diff name
Mickyy
theres no difference, just a diff name

So do you reckon they can be used interchangeabley without losing any marks?
Reply 1195
Just. Say. Yes.
So do you reckon they can be used interchangeabley without losing any marks?

yes, the jan 2010 paper had a question where you had to label functional groups and amide and peptide were both acceptable answers.
does anyone have the 2010 paper with mark scheme please?
Reply 1197
has anyone got the answers to the exam questions in the heinemann book that are on the cd! my book doesnt have the cd and im kinda desparate. if anyone could upload them that would be much much appreciated + rep if anyone cares
does anyone have the 2010 paper with mark scheme please?
Reply 1199
has anyone got the exam style question answers from the heinemann book that came with the cd because i dont have them. if anyone could upload them that would be amaaaaazing thanks!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending