The Student Room Group

Is PCl3 polar?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nator
That's what my thought was :tongue: And oh right I see :biggrin: So for molecules like CO2 and HBr it's simple to deduce if they are polar or non-polar, but for more large molecules like the one I just gave and others, what is your strategy for determining if it is polar or not? :redface:

Well for a lot of molecules it's quite easy to determine. I don't really know of a method when there are conflicting things like in this case, but unless there are values involved I think it would be pretty harsh to be asked a question on it in the exam.
Reply 21
Original post by Nator
I understand your point :smile: But what's confusing is in my Chemistry AS Revision guide, a molecule of NCl3 is drawn and it says there is no overall dipole :s-smilie:

it is indeed polar, having overall dipole moment hence. look up dipole moment on NCl3 wiki page.

there is a different molecule, N(SiMe3)3 which is non polar, because it is actually planar owing to the Si 3d orbital that can allow for good dative bond with N lone pair. Perhaps the author of the book was referring to this sort of bonding, which is less effective for Cl.

Quick Reply

Latest