The Student Room Group

Aqa chem4 15th june 2011 (resit) thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by BethBeth
Just so you know, June 2009 Unit 4 is from the old specification, but is pretty similar to our current one. Here you go :smile:

nice one BethBeth,keep practicing thats ol about chemistry
Reply 181
am not gona sleep tonight till finish ol the past papers from 2002 - 2009. tomorrow inshallah crack on new spec past papers then go through all the new stuff on unit4.
Reply 182
June 2008 Q2 (a) Why is A 2nd order?
hey i'm doing edexcel but i figured it doesnt make a difference with this question, i don't get rates :frown:

can someone explain why it's D please
Original post by kaylafrances
hey i'm doing edexcel but i figured it doesnt make a difference with this question, i don't get rates :frown:

can someone explain why it's D please

I'll try and explain this.
First assume that the value of

and [NO] are both 1.
From the description of the rate equation:
Rate=k

[NO]^2 = k[1][1]^2 =1 (NO is squared)
Now if you increase the conc of both H2 and NO by 3 times then:

Rate=k[3][3]^2 =3x9 =27

Hope that makes sense :smile:
Original post by T-Toe
June 2008 Q2 (a) Why is A 2nd order?

Ok its easier if we look at order with respect to B.
In experiments 2 and 3 the I.concentration of A is the same (7.80x10^-2)
So any change in rate would mean its due to B.
And since the rate falls from (5x10^-5) to (2.50x10^-5) and the conc of B also decreases by half this must mean B has an order of 1.

Now with respect to A.
Look at experiments 1 and 2.
We already know that the order with respect to B is 1. So if the rate was to increase (for e.g) from 1 to 2 then this would mean that conc of B has been increased by the same amount (this is assuming A remains constant).
So when concentration of B was decreased from (9.60x10-2) in experiment 1 to (2.40x10^-2) in experiment 2, we would expect the rate to decrease by the same factor which is 4 but the rate remains constant. And we can see that the concentration of A was increased in experiment 2. Which must mean that A is having an effect on the rate of reaction. Now to work out the order you must see whats happening.

B is going down by a factor of 4 and A is going up by a factor of 2 (this change causes the rate to be the same at the end of both experiments).
So due to B the rate would go down from (5.00x10^-5) to (1.00x10^-5). But it stays constant as A is increased by a factor of 2. And since rate is increasing by a factor of 4 (even though A is only increased by a factor of 2) this must mean the order of A is 2.

2^2=4

Hope you can follow all that I've explained

Edit: ps sorry for the long explanation, but I think it will be worth it if you understand this as these questions can be quite tricky!!!
Original post by FristyKino
I'll try and explain this.
First assume that the value of

and [NO] are both 1.
From the description of the rate equation:
Rate=k

[NO]^2 = k[1][1]^2 =1 (NO is squared)
Now if you increase the conc of both H2 and NO by 3 times then:

Rate=k[3][3]^2 =3x9 =27

Hope that makes sense :smile:

it probably does but il look at it again tomorrow my brains stopped working and its probably time to sleep
but thank you! :smile:
Reply 187
Original post by FristyKino
Ok its easier if we look at order with respect to B.
In experiments 2 and 3 the I.concentration of A is the same (7.80x10^-2)
So any change in rate would mean its due to B.
And since the rate falls from (5x10^-5) to (2.50x10^-5) and the conc of B also decreases by half this must mean B has an order of 1.

Now with respect to A.
Look at experiments 1 and 2.
We already know that the order with respect to B is 1. So if the rate was to increase (for e.g) from 1 to 2 then this would mean that conc of B has been increased by the same amount (this is assuming A remains constant).
So when concentration of B was decreased from (9.60x10-2) in experiment 1 to (2.40x10^-2) in experiment 2, we would expect the rate to decrease by the same factor which is 4 but the rate remains constant. And we can see that the concentration of A was increased in experiment 2. Which must mean that A is having an effect on the rate of reaction. Now to work out the order you must see whats happening.

B is going down by a factor of 4 and A is going up by a factor of 2 (this change causes the rate to be the same at the end of both experiments).
So due to B the rate would go down from (5.00x10^-5) to (1.00x10^-5). But it stays constant as A is increased by a factor of 2. And since rate is increasing by a factor of 4 (even though A is only increased by a factor of 2) this must mean the order of A is 2.

2^2=4

Hope you can follow all that I've explained

Edit: ps sorry for the long explanation, but I think it will be worth it if you understand this as these questions can be quite tricky!!!

Get it. Cheers. AQA are sneaky. How's past minute prep coming along?
Can anyone help with the buffer questions, stuck on 2B) CHEM4 09 JANQP
Reply 189
When a 0.218 mol sample of hydrogen iodide was heated in a flask of volume V dm3, the following equilibrium was established at 700 K.
2HI(g) -----> H2(g) + I2(g)
The equilibrium mixture was found to contain 0.023 mol of hydrogen.
(i)Calculate the number of moles of iodine and the number of moles of hydrogen iodide in the equilibrium mixture.

Number of moles of iodine:

Number of moles of hydrogen iodide:

Can somebody please help me STEP BY STEP on how to do a question like this??? thank you in advance
...........................................................................................................................
Reply 190
does anybody know how much detail we need to know about acid anhydrides?
Do we just have to know how to name, or know how to do equations and mechanisms etc. ?
Original post by SashaLuLu
does anybody know how much detail we need to know about acid anhydrides?
Do we just have to know how to name, or know how to do equations and mechanisms etc. ?

I think you need to know mechanisms, and why it would be preferred to acyl chrorides in the production of esters (less toxic, cheaper, less susceptible to hydrolysis). And advantages for acyl chlorides are that it gives a better yield, faster, purer product and not reversible.
Reply 192
Can anyone explain why the hydrogen labelled 'd' proudes a doublet? Is it because it is attached to 2 singlets due to the 2 -COOH groups?

(CH3)2CH-CH(COOH)2

The hydrogen labelled 'd' is the one before the 2 -COOH groups.
Reply 193
ah need to do the 10 past papers today i was meant to do yday .... :frown:
Original post by bashx
When a 0.218 mol sample of hydrogen iodide was heated in a flask of volume V dm3, the following equilibrium was established at 700 K.
2HI(g) -----> H2(g) + I2(g)
The equilibrium mixture was found to contain 0.023 mol of hydrogen.
(i)Calculate the number of moles of iodine and the number of moles of hydrogen iodide in the equilibrium mixture.

Number of moles of iodine:

Number of moles of hydrogen iodide:

Can somebody please help me STEP BY STEP on how to do a question like this??? thank you in advance
...........................................................................................................................

Well the moles of iodine is gonna be 0.023 as its a 1:1 molar ratio
But the moles of HI is going to be 0.218 - (2 x 0.023) = 0.172 as its in a 2:1 ratio
Need to learn chapter 11 today! :/
Reply 196
Original post by Master.K
Need to learn chapter 11 today! :/

thats deffo the worst chapter..i might just learn it from doing past papers i hate chromatography
Original post by Gia1991
Can anyone explain why the hydrogen labelled 'd' proudes a doublet? Is it because it is attached to 2 singlets due to the 2 -COOH groups?

(CH3)2CH-CH(COOH)2

The hydrogen labelled 'd' is the one before the 2 -COOH groups.

The Hydrogen Labelled D is adjacent to the carbon which is the carboxylic acid functional group
This group has 1 H atom - So by using the n+1 rule the C-H will produce a doublet
There should be a poll how many is ready or not ready haha.

Guys, put it this way Unit 4 is much more easier than Unit 5. :P
Reply 199
anyone got any links to explanation of the reactions of amino acids?
with methanol, acyl chlorides, Naoh or or haloalkanes, just noticed its a blip in my knowledge?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending