The Student Room Group

Aqa chem4 15th june 2011 (resit) thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Casshern1456
Yep, that something being a ketone.

What did you put for distinguishing ester and carboxylic acid? and what about the others?

I'm not sure I got them all correct. :s-smilie:

caboxylic ACID (hint!)

NH3 for substitution of chloride in acyl chloride then silver nitrate.

Oxidation under reflux - primary alcohol to carboxylic ACID so test with universal indicator like in the first test
I did NaHCO3 for the acid, causing CO2 effervescence.
For the Acyl chloride, there is a vigorous reaction and white precipitate with AgNO3.
Primary alcohol I did acidified K2Cr2O7, orange to green.
Reply 1022
Original post by Ramses II
For the Acyl chloride, there is a vigorous reaction and white precipitate with AgNO3.

yeh thats what i did..

think thats 9 marks (atleast) in the bag! :wink:
Reply 1023
Original post by Turnerthecentury
1) 3,3-dimethylbutan-1-ol
4 peaks
triplet

2) 1,1-dimethylbutan-1-ol
4 peaks
singlet

the second one is actually pentane, a methyl and the end of a chain isnt separate..its part of the chain, I thought it was odd theyd give 2 butanols in the same naming question. so it was actually (and this is going off what you wrote I cant remember exactly) 2- methylpentan-2-ol
Reply 1024

for the first one (ester and carboxylic acid) i put phorphorus pentachloride.. ester has no reaction and carboxylic acid produces steamy white fumes (HCl)... does that seem acceptable? i know there might be a few ways of doing each one so there may not be a definitive correct answer.. but i havent seen anyone else put that reagent!
Reply 1025
Original post by Casshern1456
Benzene-1,2-diolic acid

3-hydroxy, 2-aminopropanoic acid. (could be 2-amino, 3-hydroxy-) I think they allow both?

i dont think they do allow both... or they shouldnt cos it should be the lowest numbering system!! and you have to count the C in the carboxylic acid group as the first carbon
I thought it went ok but listening to everyones answers is making me panic. Tho still think I am going to do awful because I ran out of time and never got the last three pages done. Always struggle with time in my chemistry papers
Reply 1027
Original post by A-level11
I thought it went ok but listening to everyones answers is making me panic. Tho still think I am going to do awful because I ran out of time and never got the last three pages done. Always struggle with time in my chemistry papers

just focus on the next one, you cant change what you've already done but you can prepare as well as possible for the next one!
Reply 1028
What did people put for the colour change and the molecular ion?

I think I made a small mistake on the molecular ion i think the free radical was supposed to be OCH3CH2 but I put CH3CH2 :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1029

Correct :smile:
Original post by T-Toe
What did people put for the colour change and the molecular ion?

I think I made a small mistake on the molecular ion i think the free radical was supposed to be OCH3CH2 but I put CH3CH2 :frown:

It was supposed to be purple to yellow.
Me being so stupid I just wrote yellow (think colour change is supposed to be from X-->Y) :frown:
Reply 1031
Original post by FristyKino
It was supposed to be purple to yellow.
Me being so stupid I just wrote yellow (think colour change is supposed to be from X-->Y) :frown:

On really, I thought it was a mixture of purple and yellow. So we had to find the colour in-between purple or yellow, I put pink :facepalm2:. Oh well..

How'd you find the paper?
Reply 1032
Original post by T-Toe
On really, I thought it was a mixture of purple and yellow. So we had to find the colour in-between purple or yellow, I put pink :facepalm2:. Oh well..

Which question was this? The purple and yellow...
Reply 1033
Original post by Zakir
Which question was this? The purple and yellow...

First page. After the one which we had to work out which titration graph was which.
Reply 1034
Original post by T-Toe
First page. After the one which we had to work out which titration graph was which.

Oh ok...
Yeh thats what i got...the bromosomething purple and yellow, thats gd! :smile:
Reply 1035
Original post by i3kel
the second one is actually pentane, a methyl and the end of a chain isnt separate..its part of the chain, I thought it was odd theyd give 2 butanols in the same naming question. so it was actually (and this is going off what you wrote I cant remember exactly) 2- methylpentan-2-ol

Did we have to name the both molecules? I only wrote the peaks and nmr

For the 2nd one I got quadrat/4 (n+1)
Reply 1036
Original post by Zakir
Oh ok...
Yeh thats what i got...the bromosomething purple and yellow, thats gd! :smile:

I got bromosomething too.

What did you get for molecular ion? m/z=177?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by T-Toe

It was ok. think i made some silly mistakes. exam pressure :mad:
Reply 1038
How many marks was the long question about benzene worth?Was it 4 or 6 marks?
And did it ask to explain the stability AND explain the evidence given? By talking about the delocalised system etc.
Reply 1039
I still can't believe I got tricked by the last question, step 3 and 4 reagents and mechanism with cyclohexene to form the amine :frown: I went down aromatic routes - H2/Ni etc when infact it didn't have a ring :frown: ARGH. A whole 6 marks down the drain :frown: :frown: :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending